What Was The Max Effexor You Do/did Take?

What was the max Effexor you do/did take?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What was the max Effexor you do/did take?

• 37.5mg
    • 75 mg
    • 112.mg
    • 150 mg
    • 187.5mg
    • 225 mg
    • 300 mg
    • 375 mg
    • 450 mg
    • >450 mg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to see what everyone else's experiences are. My GP took me up to 300mg (started on the fast release formula... what a rollercoaster ride that was... thank god for XR) But my psych upped it to 450. She said GPs pretty much wont go that high, but it is a viable dose. One thing I do is get my blood pressure checked, as that is one of the risks of going so high. Other than that I didnt find much difference in side effects from the 300-450 jump. The higher dose has helped a bit though. But heck, I go through boxes of the D*** stuff! Thank god my government subsidises it. Just a pity they wont subsidise the seroquel for me, coz that stuff costs a freakin fortune...

• 3 weeks later...

Im on 225 at the moment, though i feel its not working.

ive been more depressed then ever, (or so it seems)

will be seeing my dr soon, and will discuss this with her.

i see a lot of you take additional drugs, besides the efexor, ive been on efexor only sfor about 4 years i think. (could be 3 and a half)

ive been on 225 for the past 4 weeks or so, (its just been upped) but i only seem to be getting worse.

i hope my dr will suggest something else maybe, or something to go with the efexor... i dunno.

I was on a max of 225mg, what about the rest of us?

I was up in the 400+ category for quite awhile, much against my doctor's better judgement. But it did help. I've been taking Effexor for more years than I can remember. About 6 months ago, I began to feel as if I had outgrown it as it didn't seem to be as effective as it had been.

My doctor started me on Lamictal, much against my better judgement. But, it worked. I'm down to 300 on the Effexor now, and at 400 on the Lamictal, and together, I'm amazed at the results.

Not to touch on a horrific story here, but I can't help but recall Andrea P. Yates, (she drowned her 5 kids in the bathtub one a.m. in Texas) She was on 100 milligrams of Effexor at the time of the crime, as her doctor told her that was the maximum she could take. He admtted that she was psychotic, way beyond depression, but that was the best he could do. He sent her on home with a call me in the morning to let me know how you're doing. That is who should be doing time in prison. He is every bit as guilty as is her now ex husband, both right along with her.

Too sad for me to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't take the poll yet. I'm on 75mg and go back to the pdoc next week. I'm sure he'll change it or up it or do something. I feel as if I'm back to where I was before I started this nightmare. I know meds are changed continuously until adjusted correctly but this is starting to make me insane.

I tried going up to Mg but it just left me feeling completely on edge. Now on Mg took quite a while to establish on this dose after being on mg for so long. Question could it be my because of my weight, I only weigh about 100 lbs at the best of times?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on Effexor XR for over a year now (added Lamicatal less than a year ago due to some sever depressive episodes, even though I'm not bipolar). All the way up to 187.5, and slowly going back down to 75 (on day 4). I think I'm doing pretty well.

You know, except for those times where I want to run away, cry and scream, and those pesky suicidal thoughts. :hearts:

• 2 months later...

WHAT A GOOD SUBJECT I WAS MAXED AT 600 MGS THAN 1250 OF LITHIUM WAS ADDED BUT I COULD ONLY HANDLE 1000 YUK....NAUSEA 450 IS THE MAX DOSE ALLOWED TO BE PRESCRIBED BY A GP IN AUS BUT UNDER REFERAL FROM A PSYCH WAS ABLE TO GO TO 600 WITH MOOD STABILIZERS AND MIRTAZAPINE AS WELL, STOPPED WORKING AFTER 3-4 YEARS PROPERLY WENT ON TO CIPRAMAL AND LAMOCTAGINE PLUS COURSE OF CBT, DIDNT WORK AFTER 9 WEEKS BACK ON MEDS FOR MAJOR DEPRESSION NOW ON CYMBALTA WHICH HAS ONLY JUST COME ON TO THE PBS GOVERENMENT SYSTEM THIS MONTH.....AND YES PREVIOUSLY BEFORE MAXING ON EFFEXOR I HAD TRIED AROPAX,ZOLOFT,TOFRANIL,AND SOME OTHERS BUT MAXED OUT ON THEM AS WELL THE EFFEXOR WAS THE BEST FOR ME. MY NEW PSYCH IS TRYING CYMBALTA DUE TO ITS SIMILARITIES TO EFFEXOR BUT ALSO HELPS CONTROL PAIN WHICH MIGHT HELP AS I HAVE HAD TO MAJOR WORK ACCIDENTS WITH LIVESTOCK AND BROKEN 4 VERTABRAES EACH TIME AND I NEED TO GET MEDIES RIGHT TO ENABLE ME TO GET BACK TO WORK FOR MY SANITY,ITS AS GOOD AS EXERCISE FOR ME.

MAKE IT TAKE IT....

HAVE A NICE DAY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey currently on 375mg just added lithium, no idea what its gonna do! :hearts:

I, too, take Effexor and Lithium, as well as 4 other meds. My doc Rxd Lithium once we realized that I wasn't seeing satisfactory results with just the Effexor alone.

FYI: Max manufacturer recommended dose for Effexor is 450 mgs.

Guest friendlyone

550 mgs. Basic docs can prescribe to 225 I understand but pdocs can go much higher if they know the patient and the drug.

Frankly I would not trust a bsic doc to treat me with meds, paricularly FX.

Friendly.

• 1 month later...
I was just upped to 200 mgs of Effexor, I started on 150 mg of Effexor XR but couldnt afford it so he switched me to regular Effexor a 100mg tablet twice a day...

225 - 300 keeps me pretty stable emotionally. Anything lower like 75mg and I'll have crying spells.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum, it's good to see that there are other people out there who've been through or are going through the same sorts of things that I am.

I was started on Effexor XR about 5 weeks ago, 37.5 mg for the first two weeks and 75 mg for the past three weeks. The nausea was pretty bad when I first started the medication but when I upped the dosage it was very minimal. However, I have not had any positive change. I was prone to anxiety attacks before I started taking the medication but they've increased in frequency since I started the medication, if anything, my depression has worsened. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in months and it's really starting to take its toll on me. I do have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so we'll see what she says

• 2 weeks later...

i've been at 300 mg for quite some time now, but i'm thinking that the effectiveness of that dosage is lessening...unfortunately i don't have a family doctor, or even a psychiatrist/therapist to adjust the dosage since my family doctor left town a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

2x 150 XR Capsules+ then 75 mg Capsule for the first few years (that's how I got my girlish figure :3) then they cut it I'm only taking one 150 right now.

msgsudz- don't feel bad I don't have a therapist at the moment either so your not alone, I have to try an transfer all my meds over to my neurologist's office.

Been on 225mg for about 8-10 months if not longer now.

Had a recent session with the CMHT - which i felt I would've got more time and care waiting in the queue for a BigMac.

Wants me to move to another med - due to my mood plummeting fast recently and me seemign to get worse!

Almost like the tablet's had stopped working for a little while?

I refused to change - even if I miss taking my tablets by a few hours I like like a trucks run over me, coming off to go on more pills - not so looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

I was put on 75mg of Efexor XR back in October, they were supposed to review me after 6 weeks but my pdoc left & I kinda got lost in the system so I'm still waiting.

My GP won't increase my dose beyond 75 as my heart was beating too fast & they want to do an ECG. I decided I was gonna self medicate & was taking between 6 & 11 tablets every day.

Now I can only get 1 75mg tablet dispensed DAILY from the chemist! It really sucks, so I decided I wasn't going to take any. The withdrawal was awful, I really thought I was dying.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

This is my first post...infact it was this thread that made me want to register.... I see I'll be learning quite a bit on this site.

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer, October '07. I had a double mastectomy in June '08. I started taking Effexor XR 37.5mgs to stop the hot flashes that the Tamoxifin (Estrogen blocker, put me in early menopause) was bringing on. That dose didn't work, it was upped to 75mgs and worked perfectly. A month ago while seeing my Pain Management Dr., I couldn't stop crying...so he upped me to 150mgs. This seems to be working very well. I haven't cried in days and my husband noticed that I'm laughing more.

My Oncologist told me that while Effexor is a good med for depression, it was found to also relieve hot flashes when given in low doses. I'm on a few meds right now, so it's nice to know at least one of them is doing double duty. :hearts:

I try to take my night meds at the same time each day, and haven't noticed any difference in mood when I'm a couple hours late.