Sign in to follow this  
Anav Sharma

Is lock down one of the reason for increase the depression rate?

Hello!

We do not have experts on Covid 19 Anav Sharma 

I don't have any valuable thoughts on how to decrease it at this time.  Perhaps my members do.  But IMHO I do 

think lockdown is a reason it increased Covid-19.

I think it maybe one of the many reasons for increasing other disabilities as well.  Perhaps our members have other ideas?

I had to take down your JPG pic as it is against our TOS to put it in posts.  

There is a personal Gallery that you can refer it to for your own use to send members to view which is in your settings.

Be safe, be well,

~Lindsay, Forum Administrator, Founder

Yeah I agree of course the numbers increase when we're all forced to stay at home around each other.  We make each other sick.  Science says being outside in the open air distanced from each other helps but maybe their thoughts are the only thing worse than telling people they have to stay home is telling them they have to stay outside away from the home.  Imagine the reactions if they told people they can't go inside their home.

I would say so for most, especially for people who are used to socializing and being active. Being at home for them is only enjoyable for a few days but is depressing in the long run.

Depression is as unique as every individual.  Generalizations are general.

Personally, I do not feel the need to ever eat in a restaurant again.  Take out is good enough (and cheaper)  Movie theaters where there are less than 10 other people I don't know....that's about 5 more than I like.  And if I time it right, I can do that now.

Sure, for extroverts, lock downs drive them crazy after a while.  They should learn from this though.  Adapt to other forms of communications.  (I am seeing a lot of folks that are used to pushing their will via face-to-face or direct conversation trying to bully the same way in other areas, and failing.  But, that's a good thing overall.  Frustrating for them, but it was not right when they could do it)

When this started, a friend at my local group support said "those that have a mental illness are better prepared for this" And it's true for the most part.  We build coping skills.  We know we have to manage life like this.  It's "the normals" that might be doing this for the first time that have a harder time adjusting.

Now, sure, after 9 months, some things are getting a little old.  And with winter almost here (norther hemisphere), I will be more challenged to manage my mental health more than the summer months.

There is "situational depression" like you puppy died or such.  Being sad for a while is normal.  Then there is mental illness of depression.  A person previously not diagnosed with a mental illness might adapt to this pandemic ok.  Or, not.  Or, their mental illness might just be more obvious.  Hey, maybe enough other people start having enough problems where the governments of the world finally understand and commit to proper mental illness laws/support/funding etc and everything gets better for everyone!

I think isolation contributes to an overall increase in depression, and I don't know if isolation is the most contributing factor. Other factors that can contribute to depression during Covid: 

Feeling a loss of control over one's life and the future we imagined. Loss of entertainment like sports, movies, music, performances and many other activities we enjoy. Many have lost their jobs and many have lost loved ones to Covid. We grieve for loss of life but also loss of livelihood and control. And a sense of what's normal. 

Grief is not the same as depression, similar symptoms and I think many people don't realize they're mourning the loss of something. 

I've been attending support groups online, I enrolled in grad school, gotten deeply interested in music and podcasts and I'm spending time doing creative activities. Some days when I feel too anxious or depressed to do much I call a friend or watch a lot of movies. 

I hope everyone remains well and continues coping best they can.