luvzkittenz

Stopped Prozac for 2 weeks, went back on, but I am scared it won't work the same

Granted, this was all under a doctor's supervision. However this is a concern of mine: you know what they say when you stop an antidepressant, it may not always work as well the second time around. I was off Prozac for two weeks to try another medication but I realized that Prozac was better for me. I went back to Prozac and I did feel better the next day in terms of my anxiety and depression, but the appetite suppressing qualities of it I haven't seen the full effects of yet. When I was on Prozac, this effect took some time to show up (I forgot how long) but it did show up. I keep hoping it will happen again. 

Is two weeks off of Prozac enough time for Prozac to stop working, once you go back on it? 

I wouldn't say so. Prozac takes a long time to clear from your body completely, about 5 weeks minimum, so you still had some Prozac in your body while you were trialing this other drug. The appetite suppressing effects tend to show up in the higher doses, like 60-80 mg.

59 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

I wouldn't say so. Prozac takes a long time to clear from your body completely, about 5 weeks minimum, so you still had some Prozac in your body while you were trialing this other drug. The appetite suppressing effects tend to show up in the higher doses, like 60-80 mg.

That's good to hear. I thought I read somewhere it takes 2 weeks to clear the system, but I also read it can take as long as you said.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:47 PM, luvzkittenz said:

That's good to hear. I thought I read somewhere it takes 2 weeks to clear the system, but I also read it can take as long as you said.

Typically, for most SSRIs and SNRIs, it's 2 weeks for a thorough washout.

If you want to get technical about it and do it the mathematical way, find out what the half-life is of the medicine and multiply it by 5. (If it's a range of time, like 72-96 hours, you can do both numbers or do an average...) So 5 half-lives is how long it takes for a medicine to either leave your system after you stop taking it, or reach steady state after you start a medicine or new dose of medicine.

For example:

Fluoxetine (Prozac) has a half-life of 4-6 days (average 5 days), while its active metabolite, norfluoxetine (which contributes to the activity of the medicine), has a half-life of 9.3 days.

Fluoxetine: 5 days • 5 half-liives = 25 days (3 weeks + 4 days)

Norfluoxetine: 9.7 days • 5 half-lives = 48.5 days (6 weeks + 6.5 days)