allalone6

alternatives to medication

Ive been depressed for over 28 yrs, and struggled to get help and medication early on....long story short, I am on medication, been on it off and on for 20 years but ive been very faithful for the past 10 years. All I wanted when I was younger and seeking help (20s) was to feel better that i didnt care if i had to take meds for the rest of my life. Fast forward...I am now 40 and a little more conscious on what I put on and in my body. I eat healthy, I try to make sure all my food is non-gmo, organic or at least not have certain ingredients that really should never have been in food. I am at the point of not wanting to take or rely on medication, especially when medications although they may be helping one part of your body are not good for your body as a whole.

Every time I have come off meds i have relapsed badly, though at those times, I wasnt in a good place physically and socially in life, that , that also contributed. I feel now I am in a better place self esteem wise and in general and would like to explore coming off my meds.

I am only on prozac and on the lowest possible dose. I would like to find alternatives that could be better for me to take, such as certain vitamins and such. Does anyone have suggestions that have worked for them?  I exercise daily as well.

thanks

Hi, 10 years on meds is a long time! I have experienced depression and taken meds around 9 years, so I know it fairly well also. I only found something that worked for me back in Feb...yeah, took a long time! haha 

If you are determined to come off the Prozac so you can live a healthier lifestyle (nothing wrong with this at all) I would look at making sure you always get the right amount of sleep, that regulates your mood so it's so important to get 7-8 hours a night. I don't have any personal experience coming off of medicine so I can't give you any personal advice. But, a friend of mine was able to come off all meds by simply staying in a routine, a good nights rest every night, no alcohol *ever*, therapy, fish oil and zinc. So those are a few things you could look into. Note, he had a different type of depression than I have so I think it's important thing to know your type, that could help you with your supplements. 

Reducing perceived stress an anxiety, yoga practice can modulate stress response systems by reducing heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and easing respiration. One study on the benefits of yoga versus health education found that yoga does alleviate symptoms of depression, and the effects were long term.6 Hatha yoga includes physical poses, controlled breathing, and a short period of deep relaxation or meditation.

I have been on and off meds since I began antidepressants 18 years ago.  I know my life is better on medication, currently on a mood stabilizer and antidepressant.  I hate relying on it and I hate being mentally ill - bipolar II.

Acupuncture worked great for me years ago.  It addressed stress, irritation and perimenopause.  What is great about acupuncture is it works on several parts of your body and also physical and mental issues.  I never took the herbs suggested, just the treatments.

My mom just began acupuncture  and I have noticed a huge difference in her behavior. She seems less stressed and  less irritable.  At the beginning of treatments she was a little more irritable since acupuncture, at least for me, released a lot of emotions and brings things up.  This subsided after a few treatments, and has done the same for my mom.

I was lucky and our acupuncturist is well respected in our city and has had a long career in acupuncture.  Sometimes it can be hard finding a good acupuncturist , just like therapists, doctors, etc.  There are good ones and not so good ones.

I take several vitamins a day.  The B complex is essential for me.  I rely on a  local pharmacy that specializes in alternative medicine to help alleviate physical and mental conditions.  GABA supplements help me relax in the evening.

This is my journey and how I have had success with acupuncture and supplements.  Best wishes on your wellness journey.

I do the diet and exercise thing.  Are things perfect?  Of course not but I would never say I had a better life on medication.  It numbed bad feelings but also good feelings as well.  I was basically a zombie all the time.  I was done with medication many years ago when my grandpa died and I wasn't even able to cry at the funeral.  Yes it helps you get through hard times but it also takes away good times so at a certain point you become very bitter because it's not only about getting through the hard times.  You need to be able to enjoy the good times as well or there's nothing to wake up for.

Edited by sober4life