theguy

Lazy / mello / tired / Energy?

I am currently at 300mg of wellbutrin XL for 3 weeks total so far.     I used to feel energy when I first took it but now at least today it has made me more mello to the point where I feel somewhat lazy and body tired.  I just want to lay on the couch.   The thought of being like this scares me as I am by nature a worrier and am being treated for anxiety by cipralex currently.   My emotions feel a little dull and numb right now as well kinda zombie like.    It almost feels like I just be bothered to do anything but I DO get things done because logically I know I have to.     Anyone know if the energy will come back?  I feel a bit not like myself if that makes sense.   

am being treated for anxiety by cipralex currently

How long have you been on Ciplralex? If it's been at least a couple of months then that might not be one the issues. Usually SSRI's cause this type of feeling more than a DRI (bupropion). That's not to say bupropion can't make  you feel this way, it can. 

First, this is my opinion and opinions and symptoms can vary so just realize that. As far as feeling the energy bottom out? That's actually pretty normal I've noticed. The Wellbutrin gives you a boost for a few weeks then that's it. It does it to me. I feel super energetic for a couple of weeks or so then that goes away. So that's not uncommon and I wouldn't think much of that. Other medicines do this as well. For example, Abilify works like stimulant for about a month, then the symptoms plateau for me. The Abilify still helped though, it just didn't give me that super energized feeling. So what you are experiencing is normal IMO,  as far as it working *really* good in the beginning. 

When you start to combine medicines it can get very complex and you'll never know if it's a combination of the medicines or just one. I know this from experience, I currently take 3 different medicines and probably will the rest of my life. A good question to ask is what do you want the Wellbutrin to help with? What symptom of your depression are you having that you want to be helped with? (or whatever mental illness you are dealing with, I just assume it's depressive). Pick one symptom that bothers you the most and see if the Wellbutrin helps in any way at all. Unfortunately, you'll need to at least give the Wellbutrin 8 weeks to see if something helps. Many say a lot longer than that but I don't have the patience to take meds that don't help me for 6 months straight. So I always give them at least 2 months before I say, "this isn't helping any". That one of the biggest complaints about most of these medicines. They take way too long to see any results. It's also why it makes finding the right med tougher to find.   

But again, what I would do is pick out one symptom you are having and really be honest with yourself and see if it's helping. For example, if one of your symptoms was anhedonia. Notice week to week if you start to gain interest in something that you use to enjoy doing or activities that are enjoying, like reading about astronomy or showing sexual interest in girls again. If there's no strong impulse to do these things after 8 weeks it's probably not going to help you much. You'll have to add to it or try something else. But I don't know your symptoms and how severe they are. If it's anxiety (which is just as horrible as depression when it's severe and many times leads to a depressive episode form what I've heard), try to notice if you stop obsessively worrying about certain things or however your anxiety symptoms look or feel.

Sorry, kind of a long response but hopefully it will help some. You'll need to at least give another week or so before you notice anything IMO. You could be still going through the side-effects stage of the medicine. Sometimes the side effects can last up until a month I've heard.     

On 9/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, james555 said:

How long have you been on Ciplralex? If it's been at least a couple of months then that might not be one the issues. Usually SSRI's cause this type of feeling more than a DRI (bupropion). That's not to say bupropion can't make  you feel this way, it can. 

First, this is my opinion and opinions and symptoms can vary so just realize that. As far as feeling the energy bottom out? That's actually pretty normal I've noticed. The Wellbutrin gives you a boost for a few weeks then that's it. It does it to me. I feel super energetic for a couple of weeks or so then that goes away. So that's not uncommon and I wouldn't think much of that. Other medicines do this as well. For example, Abilify works like stimulant for about a month, then the symptoms plateau for me. The Abilify still helped though, it just didn't give me that super energized feeling. So what you are experiencing is normal IMO,  as far as it working *really* good in the beginning. 

When you start to combine medicines it can get very complex and you'll never know if it's a combination of the medicines or just one. I know this from experience, I currently take 3 different medicines and probably will the rest of my life. A good question to ask is what do you want the Wellbutrin to help with? What symptom of your depression are you having that you want to be helped with? (or whatever mental illness you are dealing with, I just assume it's depressive). Pick one symptom that bothers you the most and see if the Wellbutrin helps in any way at all. Unfortunately, you'll need to at least give the Wellbutrin 8 weeks to see if something helps. Many say a lot longer than that but I don't have the patience to take meds that don't help me for 6 months straight. So I always give them at least 2 months before I say, "this isn't helping any". That one of the biggest complaints about most of these medicines. They take way too long to see any results. It's also why it makes finding the right med tougher to find.   

But again, what I would do is pick out one symptom you are having and really be honest with yourself and see if it's helping. For example, if one of your symptoms was anhedonia. Notice week to week if you start to gain interest in something that you use to enjoy doing or activities that are enjoying, like reading about astronomy or showing sexual interest in girls again. If there's no strong impulse to do these things after 8 weeks it's probably not going to help you much. You'll have to add to it or try something else. But I don't know your symptoms and how severe they are. If it's anxiety (which is just as horrible as depression when it's severe and many times leads to a depressive episode form what I've heard), try to notice if you stop obsessively worrying about certain things or however your anxiety symptoms look or feel.

Sorry, kind of a long response but hopefully it will help some. You'll need to at least give another week or so before you notice anything IMO. You could be still going through the side-effects stage of the medicine. Sometimes the side effects can last up until a month I've heard.     

Wow thanks for the lengthy response.   I couldn't take the 300mg side effect.  It was affecting my sleep too much and I would still get head tension which really bothered me at 3 weeks at the 300mg.  The doctor agreed to bring me down to 150mg.  I actually suffer from anxiety and depression.  I was recently about 6 weeks ago increased my cipralex from 5mg to 10 mg.  I have been on this med by itself at this dosage and I don't get any side effects from it that concern me.   When I take the 150mg of wellbutrin I still get jaw and head tension.... its supposed to help me with depression I started to get lately after I moved from an apartment to a new house.   I felt so exhausted and overwhelmed .  That is why my doctor prescribed it.   When I take it I also get moody and short and snappy at people which I don't like.   Today is the first day I am trying to take it in the evening as it always made me tired to the point my eyes wanted to close while driving.   Not sure how this will go.   Anyways, I am still not happy, I get down still and just want to curl up and ignore my life.  

So it was giving you insomnia or at least enough not to get a good nights sleep? That would be a good enough reason to come down after 3 weeks. And as far as your startup effect and Wellbutrin, I agree about the headaches. I had them also when I started. Mine was a dull persistent headache for a week or so. Honestly, I can't tell much difference between 150mg and 300mg of the Wellbutrin. As far as side effects, Wellbutrin had the least amount for me. But I am sure everyone will react to the meds a bit differently. 

There really isn't much out there for fatigue, lack of energy due to anxiety/depression. Most do the opposite I've found. If you need a more energetic medicine I would consider a low dose of Abilify, like 2mg or maybe even half that, 1mg. Abilify at that dose should get rid of any tiredness. And it will work faster than an anti-depressant, which I think is a plus. I responded to it after just a week of being on it. Don't read too much about the side effects, all of these meds have it. I've taken many meds and none have been life threatening. All have been fairly safe. I know it's a AP and many would disagree but if the depression is affecting you to the point of not functioning then I would only worry about getting that fixed. Otherwise it might get worse. Abilify could give you anxiety b/c of it's energetic effect but try to get through it. Maybe ask the pysch for something you can take for the first month only if you have a panic attack or really bad moments of anxiety, like buspar or something similar, just for the first month though as you don't want to add anything else at this time.