Sign in to follow this  
chumly

Do I need to send a courtesy message to my friend? Or can I leave it alone?

Posted (edited)

Due to several stressful things going on in my life I decided about a week ago to take a mental health break (where I refrain from some personal emails and phone calls). I informed a friend of mine about this because he had sent me several emails. I told him that I’d get to all of his emails after my break. He seemed totally fine and understanding about it. In my message to him I never indicated when my break would be over. Anyway, it has now been over a week and I’ve decided to extend my break for another week. My friend has known me to take mental health breaks before but I don’t normally take them for this long. However, he is a big part of who I need the break from.

So with all that said, the question I have is..... do you think I should send my friend  a courtesy message to make sure he knows that I have not forgotten about him and that I still plan to get to his messages? Or would it be okay to just leave it alone since he is already aware of the break I’m on? I just hate the idea of being rude to him or worrying him by taking this long to get to his messages BUT as I said, my connection with him is part of what I need a break from so in a lot of ways I’d prefer not to contact him at all until I’m completely finished with my break.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 👍😊👍😊

Edited by chumly

Hey chumly,

Imo if you're worried about him not hearing back from you it may not hurt to leave a short message just to make him aware.

If he was understanding the 1st time I'm sure he'd be understanding this time too.

30 minutes ago, zbrown016 said:

Hey chumly,

Imo if you're worried about him not hearing back from you it may not hurt to leave a short message just to make him aware.

If he was understanding the 1st time I'm sure he'd be understanding this time too.

Hi there! Thanks so much. It just so happens that he sent me a message tonight to see how I’ve been doing. I promised myself that I’d definitely send him another message if he messaged me so between that and what your saying here I’m thinking that I should probably send him something to let him know that I’m okay. 👍😊

Thanks so much for the very helpful response! I really appreciate it👍.