dysect

For the first time in life I feel...alone

I've always been alone but never felt it. I developed sever social anxiety around middle school when all the kids would make fun of how I looked and followed me through high school. I never got over it so I became a recluse. I preferred staying in my room all day on the computer doing nothing. I only go out if I have to(work). The thing is, I've always enjoyed being alone. If I ever got invited to go somewhere, I usually rejected the invitation. On the rare occasions I did go, I would never enjoy my time. Lately though, I'm beginning to feel alone. It's causing severe depression. I don't sleep well. At nights I have all these negative thoughts about how alone I am and how I've wasted away my youth doing nothing because of how much I've feared the outside world. I no longer like being alone and naturally seek companionship. The problem is due to my isolation, I feel like I've hit a brick wall. I don't know where to go to meet people. I don't have any friends. I tried online dating for a while but it never worked out for me. Those dating apps are only for goodlooking people anyway. So yeah, I've relied on the internet for pretty much everything. To help me get through my lack of a social life but it's no longer doing it for me. I desperately need to change as I feel like I'm running out of time but like I said before...I just don't know where to go.

Posted (edited)

Hi. I deal with loneliness too, and it really devastaste me, so I know how hard is to deal with it.

I know how is to spend days alone, pass days without talk with anyone, etc.

Find forums to "talk" with people is a good way to cope.

Try to mantain your feet on earth. And try to do your best to stay alive, and then try to do things to meet more people. 

Take care 

Edited by mmd

Hello dysect,

Welcome to the forums! Your story sounds incredibly familiar, in fact. I'm sorry you're struggling. But here at least you are definitely not alone. :console:

On 8/1/2020 at 10:15 AM, dysect said:

I don't know where to go to meet people. I don't have any friends. I tried online dating for a while but it never worked out for me. Those dating apps are only for goodlooking people anyway. So yeah, I've relied on the internet for pretty much everything. To help me get through my lack of a social life but it's no longer doing it for me. I desperately need to change as I feel like I'm running out of time but like I said before...I just don't know where to go.

It's call getting a customer facing job. Everyone wants to talk to the customer service rep, including the supervisor/manager too

Hi dysect,

I understand that pain all too well, and it doesn't make it any easier during the lovely covid era where most people don't want to go outside.

One thing I could suggest is either in person therapy and/or medicine therapy.

Certainly may help you in picking up some coping mechanisms.

In the meantime, we're all here for you on this forum B)

Posted (edited)

A lot of my life I wanted to be alone but I never truly was.  Now I am alone in this world and will be until the end and it's not what I want but it's the only thing left.

Edited by sober4life

Affinity groups. Look for groups around your town that have similar interests. I know COVID-19 has dramatically impacted social gatherings, but there still may be some and I would guess even some doing online gatherings.   There are sites such as meetup.com where you can search by topic and location. For example, I love bad B-movies and have found a couple of gatherings that I joined. It's a little easier if one knows others share at least one common interest. I am not sure if you are religious or church going, but they can be good sources for affinity groups. 

I really lack those fraternal friendships, and really struggle with practicing what a preach, but this has been a good approach when I have broken out of a social ruts in the past. 

I tried looking at the meetup.com website.  I'm glad you brought that up.  It seems to be much more active around here than before.  I found some pretty interesting groups.😃