2 weeks so far on Wellbutrin ... moody

theguy

Day 9 - yesterday at 9:45pm I took the muscle relaxer and I went to sleep eventually without any issue.  I woke up today feeling somewhat rested.   I felt a very small tension in the back of my neck but nothing major.   After breakfast I took the wellbutrin and I felt completely fine.  I had energy, no muscle tension, I had focus and I went through the day feeling pretty good.   I would say this was  a very good day.  Music sounded really good when I got home.  All in all it amazes me how one day could be difficult but everything changes the next day.  You just never know.   I am hoping things are up hill from here and I will post back.   I hope this helps others who struggle and want to quit the med.  Hold on a bit longer and things can change quickly.     

Day 15 at 300 mg XL   I had energy in the morning to mid afternoon.  No pain , no anxiety just focused energy.   Around 4pm I started to feel a bit tired and sleepy but not enough to make me fall asleep.   It felt like a productive day and I felt in control.  As I write this though I am just bored.  I don't feel like doing anything, not even sleep.  Writing this was the only motivating thing to do at this time.   I don't feel like watching tv, or reading, or doing anything.   I feel I would be bored going to bed right now (10:30pm) here, and I probably should but I know that will bore me.    Where is the 'knock me out' pill.  I am done with this day.

The knock me out pill for me is Trazadone. Fall asleep and stay that way most of the night. I'm back on Cymbalta and have added low dose Wellbutrin to augement the side effects of Cymbalta. Has been a week or so. The Wellbutrin does help with motivation and focus.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, In2deep4me said:

The knock me out pill for me is Trazadone. Fall asleep and stay that way most of the night. I'm back on Cymbalta and have added low dose Wellbutrin to augement the side effects of Cymbalta. Has been a week or so. The Wellbutrin does help with motivation and focus.

I hear trazadone has worked very well for many people.  I did try that years ago and it would not get me to sleep.   I may try it again but I just hate taking so many meds.   I used to be only on 5mg of cipralex then i felt down and overwhelmed so I was put on 150mg Wellbutrin; now at 300mg.   I was also bumped to 10mg of cipralex at the same time I started 300 mg of Wellbutrin.   I have been taking the cipralex at 10pm.   I wonder if that is causing sleep issues too.   Not sure really but I didn't take it at all yesterday and I slept ok last night.

Today is Day 20 at 300mg Wellbutrin XL - Once the Wellbutrin starts working I do feel I get a bit irritable.  I do get energy but I am still trying to figure out if it will keep making me irritable long term.   Anyways, that feeling went away after about 4-6 hours which is long in my opinion.  I do feel the energy and focus though but not sure if while being irritable how I will be able to happily focus on anything and feel good about it afterwards.   I took my 10mg cipralex at 5pm yesterday.   I went to sleep at 12 midnight and woke up at 1am and 3am ... to use the washroom it seems.   I woke up ok but I am tired.   I am still sleepy.  Thanks goodness I am working from home today.  I am hoping I can wake up soon so I can be productive as right now I don't have much energy or motivation to work.    I am not sure if I am being too hard on myself as I do work a lot and my body does need the recuperation time and healing.  I think I may try to take some passionflower tincture tonight as I did a few days ago and my sleep was alright.   Anyways, this is my update for today.   

Keep hanging in there! For  me those phases, like tired or irritable or somnolent or headachey-- for me the intensity and duration changed significantly as time went ton. By week 12 the effects were more consistent but up until that point it was a roller coaster ride. Based on everything I read (the experiences of other people and info from medical sites) and what my pdoc said it took me about 25% longer than average to settle in. If you go by averages you still have a few weeks or possibly more until the effects become fairly consistent and it's time to judge efficacy. 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, GeorgeR said:

Keep hanging in there! For  me those phases, like tired or irritable or somnolent or headachey-- for me the intensity and duration changed significantly as time went ton. By week 12 the effects were more consistent but up until that point it was a roller coaster ride. Based on everything I read (the experiences of other people and info from medical sites) and what my pdoc said it took me about 25% longer than average to settle in. If you go by averages you still have a few weeks or possibly more until the effects become fairly consistent and it's time to judge efficacy. 

Hey George.   I thought i read that you stopped the med because of the insomnia.   Anyways I went down to 150mg because I thought at 3 weeks in the side effects should not have been still causing me so much head tension plus my sleep was terrible overall.  I now take 10mg of cipralex and 150mg of wellbutrin.   The W still gives me head tension and jaw tension, makes me irritable and sleepy at first. Then Mello but the head tension takes awhile to go away. I don't feel happy at all so I guess the combo isn't working that great right now.  So now I wonder if I should have given 300mg more time but my sleep is overall better now.   Uggg this is so frustrating.   Maybe I may go up on the cipralex again if nothing changes.   I used to be very energetic and happy on cipralex 10 mg some time ago.   Not sure what is going on now.   I think it has been 6 weeks so far back on 10mg cipralex.   Who knows.  

Frustrating yeah you can say that again. 

The insomnia was not worth the benefit I was getting from Wellbutrin. After a gentle 4 week titration I'm now antidepressant-free for 11 days. Mood-wise it's been pretty ok-- a walk in the park compared to how it was when I quit Celexa with a 2 week titration. 

Anyhow- I hope you figure out the best compromise. It's different for everyone... I hate that but it's true 😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 9:14 PM, GeorgeR said:

Frustrating yeah you can say that again. 

The insomnia was not worth the benefit I was getting from Wellbutrin. After a gentle 4 week titration I'm now antidepressant-free for 11 days. Mood-wise it's been pretty ok-- a walk in the park compared to how it was when I quit Celexa with a 2 week titration. 

Anyhow- I hope you figure out the best compromise. It's different for everyone... I hate that but it's true 😄

Well George, I ended up going off of Wellbutrin completely.  Neck and jack pains went away eventually after about 2 weeks at 0mg of Wellbutrin.  I am still on 10mg of cipralex and that seems to be keeping me afloat.  🙂   Celexa was the very fist med I went on back in 2003.  It gave me a lot of jaw clenching but somehow I made it through to 40mg for a long time.   It "kicked in"  at the 8 week mark I think maybe 10.  I can't remember now but I did well on that for a long time.   

• 10 months later...

Ok I went back on Wellbutrin, lol  this time I had the tension only for a few days as I really focused on not clenching .  Well I take it now and all I get is a bit sleepy about an hour afterwards.   At this time it is going alright.   I started this again on August 9th 2021.  Let's see how I do.

Well I am still doing alright on Wellbutrin.  today is 2 weeks at 150mg.   I have practically zero libido; no sexual drive.   It would be nice to have something.   Has anyone had this effect in the beginning?  Does it get better ?

I'm gonna follow your journey.  I just started mine, 3 days in, and so far, I feel worse on 150mg Bupropion XL.  I will give it another 11 days, but if this is how I respond to it, I'm going to stop.  

I also am already suffering from low libido, a first for me, so if this makes it worse, I'm out.  

Hang in there and keep us posted.  

Hey JYD.   I have read for some it took 10 weeks.   I had an decent libido the previous 3 days but it's down again.   It could also be things in my life that are happening.  I have a fair amount of work stress right now.   I am still waiting for the energy of the med but I have been on Celexa years ago and it didn't do much until the 10th week I think then bam!  I felt awesome.  It was like someone flipped a switch.  Hang in there.   I don't have much side effects anymore.  I don't think I"m as sleepy after taking it.   It has been about 3 weeks for me now.  I started August 9th.   The journey to the 10 weeks is so long ...... If you can get through the first 2 weeks you should be good to go unless you are still experiencing crazy side effects that are intolerable.

14 hours ago, theguy said:

Hey JYD.   I have read for some it took 10 weeks.   I had an decent libido the previous 3 days but it's down again.   It could also be things in my life that are happening.  I have a fair amount of work stress right now.   I am still waiting for the energy of the med but I have been on Celexa years ago and it didn't do much until the 10th week I think then bam!  I felt awesome.  It was like someone flipped a switch.  Hang in there.   I don't have much side effects anymore.  I don't think I"m as sleepy after taking it.   It has been about 3 weeks for me now.  I started August 9th.   The journey to the 10 weeks is so long ...... If you can get through the first 2 weeks you should be good to go unless you are still experiencing crazy side effects that are intolerable.

Thanks, @theguy.  I'm in a similar boat.  I am starting my own business and have a lot of stress with that on top of the world falling apart daily, it seems and I'm a bit of an empath, so I carry worldwide weight on my shoulders naturally.  

I don't mind the libido drop I've had in recent months as much as my girlfriend does, so that's adding more pressure to me.  My focus is more on my business, cause without it, I can't eat, right?  

I definitely will give it a total of 14 days.  I'm seeing there are a lot of folks out there that no matter the type and dose, Bupropion has the same effect on them as it's having on me right now.  

I had a meeting with a prospect yesterday and I had to apologize for my 'loopiness' and told them I was on a medication that's causing it, and that's all I can do right now.  I meet with prospects almost daily right now, so it's just crappy timing.  

On 8/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, JYD said:

Thanks, @theguy.  I'm in a similar boat.  I am starting my own business and have a lot of stress with that on top of the world falling apart daily, it seems and I'm a bit of an empath, so I carry worldwide weight on my shoulders naturally.  

I don't mind the libido drop I've had in recent months as much as my girlfriend does, so that's adding more pressure to me.  My focus is more on my business, cause without it, I can't eat, right?  

I definitely will give it a total of 14 days.  I'm seeing there are a lot of folks out there that no matter the type and dose, Bupropion has the same effect on them as it's having on me right now.  

I had a meeting with a prospect yesterday and I had to apologize for my 'loopiness' and told them I was on a medication that's causing it, and that's all I can do right now.  I meet with prospects almost daily right now, so it's just crappy timing.  

Wow the similarities we have are scary.  I too am an empath.   The state of the world really does make me sad and trying to figure out where I fit in all this.    Well I heard wellbutrin  can cause higher blood pressure as well in some and today my wife says that the symptoms I had today may be a sign of that.   I had a tight chest, jaw and then it shot to my back.   I am getting it checked tomorrow with my doctor to be sure.   Today the back of my neck is a bit tense as I think I have lingering anxiety that causes me to tense up without realizing it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Can I jump into this Thread? First of all I TOO am an empath!! I'll try to keep it short for now, but as of my last talk with my PDoc(last week), I expect to starting my Wellbutrin journey once again by the end of the week as an augment to Effexor. While I really wish that I had done a journal related to my AD odyssey since 1997, I do know that I am an outlier with regards to the time it takes to get any semblance of a consistent outcome from an AD...good or not so good. 10 weeks is probably spot on for me.

That being said, my 'sweet spot' so to speak with AD's and AD augmentation was back with my original PDoc(he died suddenly in 2007). After some trial and error, I can safely say based on various memories that Effexor augmented with Wellbutrin from around 2000(??) to 2007 were my most consistent and 'happy' years.(!) Since then, it has been bumpy at times for sure, but my desire is to find that sweet spot again.

I will definitely try to make some notes as well this time.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:32 AM, MidAgeDad said:

Can I jump into this Thread? First of all I TOO am an empath!! I'll try to keep it short for now, but as of my last talk with my PDoc(last week), I expect to starting my Wellbutrin journey once again by the end of the week as an augment to Effexor. While I really wish that I had done a journal related to my AD odyssey since 1997, I do know that I am an outlier with regards to the time it takes to get any semblance of a consistent outcome from an AD...good or not so good. 10 weeks is probably spot on for me.

That being said, my 'sweet spot' so to speak with AD's and AD augmentation was back with my original PDoc(he died suddenly in 2007). After some trial and error, I can safely say based on various memories that Effexor augmented with Wellbutrin from around 2000(??) to 2007 were my most consistent and 'happy' years.(!) Since then, it has been bumpy at times for sure, but my desire is to find that sweet spot again.

I will definitely try to make some notes as well this time.

Thanks for you post.   I am back this med since Aug 9, trying to make it to the 10 week mark to see how I feel.   I just feel tired at this point, not sad but not happy or joyful.   

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Severian said:

Any updates? Still taking it?

Yes I am still on 150mg at 8pm.  I sleep fine and feel fine now.   I don't feel crazy happy but not depressed and I can focus alright as well.   I am glad I waited this out as I believe it is finally helping me without the side effects that I had the first 2 weeks to a month.

8 hours ago, theguy said:

Yes I am still on 150mg at 8pm.  I sleep fine and feel fine now.   I don't feel crazy happy but not depressed and I can focus alright as well.   I am glad I waited this out as I believe it is finally helping me without the side effects that I had the first 2 weeks to a month.

I have found Wellbutrin to be a very popular antidepressant and its a personal favorite of mine.  I'm glad to see you are having some success on it.