theguy

2 weeks so far on Wellbutrin ... moody

Posted (edited)

I am currently on a very low dosage of cipralex (5mg) and I needed a boost as I was starting to feel very low.   Dr. prescribed Wellbutrin SR 150mg.  First day I felt ok and kinda good.    It is now day 14 and after I take it I feel a bit moody, want to lay down and sleep, and unmotivated a little.   Any thoughts how much longer before I can expect to feel some positive effects from this med?

Also it was making me focus more  at first; today not so much.   Can seem to get work done .. may that is part of the motivation.   Grrr, I'm dragging myself today ..

Thanks.

Edited by theguy

Hi- hopefully it'll get better for you soon. I can share my experience since it's fresh- I've been taking Welbutrin for about 14 weeks. I didn't get much out of it for quite a while, aside from sleepiness you got. I called the doctor after 3 weeks of no real improvement and he said give it at least a month and it could be as much as 8 weeks to see results. He said for most of his patients on Welbutrin it's more like 4 weeks. Since everyone's different there's no pat answer. I started on 100mg and ramped up to 300mg (200 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon).

Anyhow- in my case I got nothing until 8 weeks and then bam- I was relaxed and no more semi-constant angry and lazy. Then 2 weeks later I got some energy back- quite a bit in fact. I know that's a long time... really I know 😄 but since I'm not working because of Covid I agreed to the long wait my doc suggested. Happy I did. Hope this helps.

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, GeorgeR said:

Hi- hopefully it'll get better for you soon. I can share my experience since it's fresh- I've been taking Welbutrin for about 14 weeks. I didn't get much out of it for quite a while, aside from sleepiness you got. I called the doctor after 3 weeks of no real improvement and he said give it at least a month and it could be as much as 8 weeks to see results. He said for most of his patients on Welbutrin it's more like 4 weeks. Since everyone's different there's no pat answer. I started on 100mg and ramped up to 300mg (200 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon).

Anyhow- in my case I got nothing until 8 weeks and then bam- I was relaxed and no more semi-constant angry and lazy. Then 2 weeks later I got some energy back- quite a bit in fact. I know that's a long time... really I know 😄 but since I'm not working because of Covid I agreed to the long wait my doc suggested. Happy I did. Hope this helps.

Thanks this is encouraging.   Today I felt so crazy lazy.   I was fine the day before.    Hoping things get better for me here.   Also I'm only on 150mg.    I wonder after 8 weeks if I should go up to 300.  I guess I will see how I feel then. 

Edited by theguy

The improvement wasn't perfectly consistent with me- along the way there were days like you just had that popped up after several good days. Shoulda mentioned that in my post- sorry. 

Regarding dosage- does your doctor have any suggestion there? This is from Mayo Clinic for extended release:

At first, 150 mg once a day in the morning. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 450 mg per day.

If you can find any similarity between our situation here's my quick background- 57 years old, 200 pounds, all the 5 or 6 SSRI and SNRIs I've tried, including Wellbutrin and Vybrid, made soooo tired for the first couple weeks. Eventually this side effect lessened. With Wellbutrin I got the boost of energy after about 10 weeks and it hasn't gone away. Unfortunately that stimulating effect started keeping me up at night. That eventually led to Gabapentin- it's been great for 8 days now. I'm sleeping thru the night and the days have been pretty darn good. Hope this helps 🙂

Hey George yes your responses definitely help.  I want to be hopeful with Wellbutrin so I want to give it the 8 weeks and perhaps 10 since that is when you got the boost of energy.    In the past I used elavil to get me to sleep.   I have 10mg pills to be used as needed and I did take one tonight so hopefully that will help me get some sleep.   Moving forwards if I continue the have problems sleeping I may try something else.   I just try not to be on too many meds.   I am 47 and currently about 246 lbs.   Too much computer work; but another reason I wanted the boost from Wellbutrin to get me working out consistently again.   I am on day 20 at 150mg SR.

I sure hope it works for you like it has been for me. I know what you mean about not taking too many meds. Cholesterol, clopidigrel, wellbutrin and now gabapentin... a regular pharmacy over here 😄

I'm looking at my medication notes here and I started at only 75mg, then up to 150mg a week later. After a month it was increased to 225mg. Notes say I was dizzy and spacey intermittently a couple days later. A week later I changed from extended to sustained release- not sure if that made any difference at all. Still sleepless at night and tired during the day. Then a few days later he put me at 100mg in the am and 200mg more in the afternoon. Within about 2 weeks I was feeling better. Sleep didn't improve til last week (week 13) when I started gabapentin. That's my little journey. I'm not saying you should up your dose but maybe ask your doctor in another week or so if there's no change. I waited a month and maybe if I'd increased sooner I'd have felt better sooner.

Thanks your experience definitely helps me.   It is still soon for me and I have a ways to go to get to week 13 but I am hopeful.  Today was not too bad but an email to me today (work related) caused me to have have a shot of anxiety rush through me.    I got through it but hope those instances are not strong as time goes on.    Today I also took 75mg in the morning to see how that went.  I felt the energy then sleepiness.   I had to drive 1 hr and 10 min to my customer so I didn't want it to affect me so much driving.  Driving home was good as I was not sleepy which was good.   I took the other 75mg at 5:30pm and had a nap afterwards.  I am up now and we will see if I can get some sleep tonight.

Aug 5 - took 75 mg in morning and didn't feel sleepy at all during my travels.   I did have a tight tension headache nearing 3pm though.   took 75mg at 5:30pm and tension in head did not go away.   Advil didn't take it away / robaxacet didn't take it away.  I ended up go to be with head tension but it disappeared by the time I woke up.   

Aug 6 - Day 24 on Wellbutrin 150mg - Woke up groggy and with some anxiety   ... I did dream so got some good REM sleep I think.   Took full 150mg this time at 9:30am ... felt some anxiety but intensity lessoned by 10:42 am.   Feel a bit tired  and blah,  mood is blah blah.   Motivated still needs work .... I am sitting at my desk working because I know it has to be done but really don't feel like doing it  ... blah days ... Hoping things change over time.   

Aug 7,   Day 25  -   woke up ; had energy to get moving on things like breakfast and work.   As the day progressed I go a lot of head tension, in back of neck and jaw.   Other than that today was a good day I think.   I really hope that tension goes away and does not keep coming back every day as it would be too bothersome to have it everyday.     I must say though I really did have a lot of energy today, my thinking was clear, zero anxiety.   strange what one day will do.

Aug 15, Day 23 - I am been taking Wellbutrin SR 75mg in the morning and 75mg around 5pm.    I sleep easily but I still wake up groggy and feel half asleep most days.  Hmmmm.   Well I looked up the difference between the SR and XL versions and it appears the SR version seems to have more reported side effects than the XL version.   So I have a new script for 150 mg XL and I will start them today to see if this sleepiness and grogginess in the mornings go away.   I will take this single pill of 150 mg XL in the morning as prescribed.   Crossing my fingers.

Posted (edited)

With the standard ymmv warning-- my experience was that once Wellbutrin started working well on my depression it was still a few more weeks til that hangover feeling went away. 

ps- coffee helps reverse some of that groggy feeling in the morning for me 🙂

Edited by GeorgeR

On 8/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, GeorgeR said:

With the standard ymmv warning-- my experience was that once Wellbutrin started working well on my depression it was still a few more weeks til that hangover feeling went away. 

ps- coffee helps reverse some of that groggy feeling in the morning for me 🙂

Thanks George so I have switched to the XL version and I get to sleep and so far I have not been groggy in the morning.  I felt good this morning.   BUT ... the back of my neck feels so tense.   I don't know if that is me or the med but I don't think I had that when I was only on Cipralex so I think it is the Wellbutrin XL    ... Hoping now that will go away...  

Day 25 - moody after taking med 150mg XL  took at 9am , it is now 11:30am.   😞 😡

Wish it was going smoother for you. The whole world of antidepressants is so far from an exact science. And we are the poor guinea pigs 😞 

I've read this from other people and experienced it myself with all the AD meds I've tried-- the improvement curve is a little wavy. I remember calling the doc at week 6 to see if it was time to throw in the towel-- he said give it a couple weeks or even a month more to judge. If I had no medical advice I'd have quit and moved on to another medication but he was right to tell me to wait cuz a couple weeks later there was pretty good consistency. Now, around week 16 I have a bad few minutes or so but that's it. I hope things improve for you soon.

1 hour ago, GeorgeR said:

Wish it was going smoother for you. The whole world of antidepressants is so far from an exact science. And we are the poor guinea pigs 😞 

I've read this from other people and experienced it myself with all the AD meds I've tried-- the improvement curve is a little wavy. I remember calling the doc at week 6 to see if it was time to throw in the towel-- he said give it a couple weeks or even a month more to judge. If I had no medical advice I'd have quit and moved on to another medication but he was right to tell me to wait cuz a couple weeks later there was pretty good consistency. Now, around week 16 I have a bad few minutes or so but that's it. I hope things improve for you soon.

Hi George!   I was just going to update my post again.  I am actually feeling better right now so that is 1:40pm here and that is about 2 hours after my previous post.   I was talking to my wife that I was on celexa many years ago and had a really hard time going up on that one.   40mg at the time.  I recall also feeling very irritable but the doctor said to keep going so I did.  Then one day all of a sudden I felt amazing and did so from then on.   I keep thinking back about those days and I guess I just have to be more patient with this one.  It has only been 3 weeks and 3 days.    Each day is such a challenge at times especially when we are dealing with our moods.   Thanks again for the encouragement.  

I am continuing my daily journal .... well as often as I can.  

Yesterday my jaw hurt and had a hard time relaxing.   I took 10mg of elavil that my doctor gave me in case I could not sleep.   I try not to take too much.  I felt a bit tired but my jaw still hurt.  I thought maybe it was anxiety related so I took .5mg of clonazepam.   Didn't feel much relief either.   I ended up taking 300mg of magnesium citrate like I used to do when my legs ached.  I eventually fell asleep

Today:  woke up a bit tired but pain free.  My jaw pain was gone.   I took 150mg XL of wellbutrin and was a bit sleepy all day but had a coffee around 4pm and woke up a bit more eventually.   Had a very short nap when I got home 30 min.   I feel fine right now and I wonder if it is because I got out of the house today to work most of the day at my clients site.    I am in good spirits and alert at this moment.   I feel like I can get things done right now.   It is 10pm right now here so I will be heading to bed soon.   I hope tomorrow is a good day too.   I do feel a little tired which is a good thing as 10pm is a good time to head to bed. .... until tomorrow ...

On 8/3/2020 at 12:01 AM, theguy said:

Thanks this is encouraging.   Today I felt so crazy lazy.   I was fine the day before.    Hoping things get better for me here.   Also I'm only on 150mg.    I wonder after 8 weeks if I should go up to 300.  I guess I will see how I feel then. 

Just adding my perspective... I am at about 6 weeks right now. Mine really kicked in at about week 4 and I have felt incrementally better (energetic, calmer, more focused).  I now feel like it has plateaued at a very reasonable level. I too, was told it was common for the full effects to not be felt until 4 to 8 weeks. (By the way, I was on 150 mg for one week, then to 300mg. Also taking Trazadone for sleep.)

I wish you well!

On 8/21/2020 at 1:05 PM, Troydg said:

Just adding my perspective... I am at about 6 weeks right now. Mine really kicked in at about week 4 and I have felt incrementally better (energetic, calmer, more focused).  I now feel like it has plateaued at a very reasonable level. I too, was told it was common for the full effects to not be felt until 4 to 8 weeks. (By the way, I was on 150 mg for one week, then to 300mg. Also taking Trazadone for sleep.)

I wish you well!

Thanks.   I am only on 150mg and it has been 1 month and 10 days.   perhaps I would do better at 300mg?   today I have a stiff neck.   It was a very stressful day today so I may have done that myself.   I definitely don't feel mellow.  I tried trazadone years ago and it didn't help me for some reason.   Today for sleep I try magnesium, or something called super sleep (had melatonin).    

Ok Dr. said to try 300mg.   We will see how that goes.   Today was my first dosage at 300.  I did get some good energy, but also a lot of jaw tension and back of my neck tension.   I am hoping this will lesson over time.  

Today is Day 6 at 300mg Wellbutrin XL.   2 days ago I felt pretty good and I thought things were going to be good from then on but yesterday I felt nauseous and the back of my neck felt like the muscles were tight and pinched.    I took my daily dose a couple hours ago and now I am very stuffed up and have some tiredness.   With all this I am a little anxious as I have work to do and can't seem to be productive in this state.   I took a reactine to see if the stuffiness will go away.  

Sorry to hear you're still not getting the full benefits but when I was where you are in the timeline it wasn't consistent yet. That took a while so unfortunately you might have more of this roller coaster to get thru before your body chemistry stabilizes. 

Lately I've been drinking chamomile tea before bed and when/if I wake up with insomnia in the middle of the night. Such a simple thing a cup of tea but it really does smooth things out at night.

Having your jaw tight or grinding teeth seems to happen for me with several AD meds. I catch myself doing it and just relax my jaw and do some simple stretching of my jaw like trying to open your mouth really wide then close. Sounds simple and maybe silly but it works for me. I never had this issue before getting on AD meds.

23 hours ago, GeorgeR said:

Sorry to hear you're still not getting the full benefits but when I was where you are in the timeline it wasn't consistent yet. That took a while so unfortunately you might have more of this roller coaster to get thru before your body chemistry stabilizes. 

Lately I've been drinking chamomile tea before bed and when/if I wake up with insomnia in the middle of the night. Such a simple thing a cup of tea but it really does smooth things out at night.

Thanks, yes I used to drink that.  I actually have calm tea which had that in it.   It seems that even after the tension most of it will go away then only a small part in the back of my neck seems to agitate me; like there is still a small tension from my jaw I think that goes to my neck somewhere.   It's just annoying and last night I woke up at 3am because it was painful.  Anyways I keep trying to massage and release any tension there.   

Today is Day 7

20 hours ago, In2deep4me said:

Having your jaw tight or grinding teeth seems to happen for me with several AD meds. I catch myself doing it and just relax my jaw and do some simple stretching of my jaw like trying to open your mouth really wide then close. Sounds simple and maybe silly but it works for me. I never had this issue before getting on AD meds.

Thanks I do try that.   Right now it all seems to agitate the occipital muscles.  I get tension there and I try to release it but can't figure it out.   I watched videos on occipital release and there seems to be a constant tension back there somewhere.  I will keep working on it.

Ok this morning I had jaw tightness but only on my right side and back of neck right side.   Later on in the day just the back of my neck seems very tense.    I called my doctor and she gave me a script for cyclobenzaprine to take in the evening to relax muscles.    I hope it helps and I hope this muscle tension will be gone in a week which will be the two weeks at this 300mg xl dosage.