I want to be someone else

Dioxeon

I wish I were born elsewhere.
As soon as I mention the country I'm from, people's attitude towards me changes completely. I got over it the first few times it happened, but it gets draining when it's been happening consistently for all ~11 years I've been on the internet. I get approached by English (and sometimes French) learners relatively often for help. Though, as soon as they ask where I'm from, and I tell them, they seem to no longer want my assistance. Most people ghost me the moment I mention my nationality.

I get discredited for my efforts, and am immediately assumed to be bad at what I do, and/or uneducated.
Sometimes, I think I should just lie about it, or not mention it at all, but I feel like doing that would hurt my conscience. I try to be as honest and straightforward as I can.

One guy (from the west) seemed really excited to find out I was from Asia, but the moment I mentioned where in Asia, he got really aggressive with me, and hasn't spoken to me since. I think he was hoping I'd be from Japan, Korea, or somewhere in east-Asia.
I hate feeling like I disappointed someone.

I know I can't change where I was born, and leaving this place is damn well near impossible.
That being said, I do like to dream.
Thanks for reading this far if you did.
I hope you have a nice day/night.

From Lebanon.

17 hours ago, Dioxeon said:

I get discredited for my efforts, and am immediately assumed to be bad at what I do, and/or uneducated.
Sometimes, I think I should just lie about it, or not mention it at all, but I feel like doing that would hurt my conscience. I try to be as honest and straightforward as I can.

If people discredit you for your efforts, they're not worth them. Don't reward them with the pleasant gift of your self. We need honest and straightforward people in the world - now more than ever. So don't change, and certainly don't be sorry.

I could say a lot of snarky, cynical, sardonic things about a person feeling shame for his or her nationality, but I won't. I will only say what others have: that here you are most welcome, with fanfare and celebration, for being bold in tackling your depression.

Thank you for your kind replies.
I do agree, of course. One shouldn't be judged simply by the country he is from.
Though, it gets to me the more it happens. I am not ashamed of the place I was born, otherwise I just wouldn't tell anyone.

Though, it happened again today. Someone blocked me immediately after I replied to the question "Where are you from?".
It really does end up making me feel like some kind of monster.