Sign in to follow this  
jalpha

Coming Out In a Country where LGBT is not legal yet , my current reality💔💔

I don’t know how this will find you guys but I hope you are all okay. A little about myself. I’m from Kenya in Africa. I came out about 5 months ago. Being in a country that hasn’t yet legalized same-sex marriage and relations, this wasn’t a really good idea. But I was fed up with all the hiding and lying to my folks and siblings. So I just decided it was time and just as expected I was met with so much negativity and backlash. My mom didn’t even wanna see me and my dad didn’t react and my siblings being older and married were disappointed. I was treated like an outsider and my mom even informed the extended family. I don’t even know why. Damn it was hard. I ended up talking to my dad one night and he opened up about how he had no issue with me being queer but he just didn’t want my mum to know. I promised not to say a word and my dad decided that it was better that I move from home to reduce the tension. I left home but my mum thought I had run away. Only Dad knew where I was and continued to send me money for upkeep. Then he got into an accident and I was forced to come back home. The truth about my dad supporting came to light and now we became outcasts. Even my dad just because he supported me for being a lesbian. So my dad, who’s the only support system is in hospital, during his treatment they found tumors around his colon. So he has to go in for surgery on July 30th. With only me by his side. I can’t even afford his bills. My family and extended family resent us and won’t even talk. Mum has already filed for a divorce. Talk about a snowball effect. I started an online fundraiser for my dad its still ongoing till August 15 but that is not going too well too. I don’t know what else to do for real I don’t know if it is appropriate to share my fundraising link but if anyone would like it please leave a comment.

Hi jalpha and welcome to the Forums,

It is nice to meet you.  I am so terribly, terrible sorry that you are going through such a painful and agonizing ordeal.   It is just heartbreaking what you and your father are enduring.  I wish I knew the words to say to ease your pain.  Hopefully you will find these Forums to be a warm and friendly place where you will feel appreciated and treasured as a person. 

Hi, so bad to hear all you telling. Hope things get well for you.

Have you heard of Pepe Julian Onziema, I know he is in favour of LGBT rights in Africa, he (borned woman) is from Uganda, maybe you can contact him, for support and find others like you and maybe to boost your fundrasing.