20yearsandcounting's What Are You Listening To? Thread #5

Natasha1

2 hours ago, JD4010 said:

I used to be able to yodel cowboy-style, but I've lost the ability over the years...my voice has gotten deeper and I can't jump in and out of falsetto like I used to.

Yes.  The voice requires maintenance.  I remember in recent years, hearing Joni Mitchell and how her voice had been destroyed (I thought) by cigarettes.  Then I heard her on her latest album (I think), and she had RESTORED HER VOICE!! No doubt with lessons, but still . . . my chiropractor keeps telling me that the body is a regenerative thing.  It wants to heal and be healed.  (This, however, doesn't seem to hold true with replicative fading. Cells copying cells copying cells and the toner getting lower and lower and lower.)  Hmmmmmmmm . . . 

Just watched and listened on YouTube.  Very good band.  I don't know if the Cossacks played bagpipes, but the band has a lot of sounds, different percussion.  Reminds me of a traditional folk melody, with little touches of country western, sung by the Kingston Trio or Gorden Lightfoot.

Bulgakov 

17 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

Just watched and listened on YouTube.  Very good band.  I don't know if the Cossacks played bagpipes, but the band has a lot of sounds, different percussion.  Reminds me of a traditional folk melody, with little touches of country western, sung by the Kingston Trio or Gorden Lightfoot.

Bulgakov 

Bagpipes are quite common in Eastern Europe of various peoples (Finnic, Baltic and Slavic) 🙂 not quite in the same position as Gaelic or Brythonic ones.
In that general area they're known as "volynka".

Original version of this song from Demi Lovato is as good as this version.

Ekoh - Sober

"I've got an itch I'll never scratch but I'm going until I bleed
Like who the f*ck are you to tell me what you think I really need
Cuz I've awoken up a beast that never stops until it feeds
And it's been eating me alive inside my dreams"

Seemann, deine Heimat ist das Meer ~ Lolita (1960)

The 1973 re-recording of this song is very nice too, as is Petula Clark's English version (Sailor, your Home is the Sea) from 1961. 

Edited by JD4010

• 2 weeks later...