How Is Your Weather Today? #20

Natasha1

Currently this afternoon it's cloudy and 0 F.  The overnight low was -4 F, which is officially the coldest it's been since I moved here in 2015.  Supposed to be even colder tonight, with 3-6" of snow.      

Freezing drizzle today.  I wish I could go on a vacation or just sleep for the next week.  As always spring is coming but the weather here is as moody as me so we have to make it through a couple of snow storms to get there.  I'll be fine though as long as "Frosty" doesn't show up and try to crash on the couch like he always does.😒

14 hours ago, jkd_sd said:

Right now our temperature is -22F (-30C) with a windchill of -44F (-42C).   Brr!

Wow!  It's a warm -10 F here (-23 C) 😄  Seriously these are the coldest temps I've ever experienced.  I was going out to shovel a little snow but changed my mind after being outside for only about 2 minutes haha.     

Edited by AloneGuy

On 2/14/2021 at 7:28 AM, jkd_sd said:

Right now our temperature is -22F (-30C) with a windchill of -44F (-42C).   Brr!

Holy cr*p! 🥶  You should consider moving to the North Pole. It's much warmer there. Global warming hasn't hit your neighborhood.... 😉

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

The rest of the storm is coming down almost entirely as ice so 10 hours of ice yeah give me the foot of snow instead.

Yup!  At least with snow you can 'move it' (shoveling) and/or get some traction.  With ice, you just get BAM!  ... either bumper or b*tt.  🙄

25 minutes ago, jkd_sd said:

Yup!  At least with snow you can 'move it' (shoveling) and/or get some traction.  With ice, you just get BAM!  ... either bumper or b*tt.  🙄

Local counties are under a state of emergency right now.  This is an area with lots of hills.  If you go out right now you're going to wreck.  It's that simple.

@jkd_sd + @sober4life = Exactly!

I lived in New England for 20 or so years. We learned that ice is not friendly to cars or trucks. Cars get 1 or 2 wheel drive and trucks get 2 or 4 wheel drive. Ice is the great equalizer. It just makes 1-4 wheels spin and go nowhere. I've done the drive with chains and/or studded snow tires. I'll definitely take the studded snow tires if I HAVE to drive on it. At the end of the day though the best way to travel on ice is with ice skates.... 😁

We actually have the sun peaking through the clouds today.

44 minutes ago, In2deep4me said:

@jkd_sd + @sober4life = Exactly!

I lived in New England for 20 or so years. We learned that ice is not friendly to cars or trucks. Cars get 1 or 2 wheel drive and trucks get 2 or 4 wheel drive. Ice is the great equalizer. It just makes 1-4 wheels spin and go nowhere. I've done the drive with chains and/or studded snow tires. I'll definitely take the studded snow tires if I HAVE to drive on it. At the end of the day though the best way to travel on ice is with ice skates.... 😁

We actually have the sun peaking through the clouds today.

Ha you don't want to see me on ice skates that's for sure.  I have to have salt delivered here to be able to get out fun times.  Can't wait until spring!

today is sunny and in the low 60s.  Yesterday it was raining and in the 30s. Tomorrow will be more rain and more 40s.

Of course it is too wet to do anything outside today.

Sorry to hear that everyone is having snow and extremely cold temps. Stay warm and safe.

5 hours ago, In2deep4me said:

Ice is the great equalizer. It just makes 1-4 wheels spin and go nowhere.

Yup!  It also makes any type of shoe or boot on your foot 'spin' too!  It is a toss up whether it is more difficult to drive or walk on ice.

On the news last night they showed a video clip of a 4-wheel drive vehicle sliding sideways down an iced-over suburban street.  Almost looked like it was floating down a river.  They also showed a video of a family walking out of their house, across the porch, and down their front steps.  The camera must have been above the door.  It had previously rained and frozen, and the steps were coated with glass-clear ice.  As each person got to the top step, their feet flew out from under them in every direction, and they 'train wrecked' to the bottom of the steps!  I hope everyone was OK!

Oh, and ice skates? ... me!?   That would be a major 'train wreck'!  🤣

The driveway is still an ice rink out there.  I can't safely get out of here and nobody cares.  They know I can't get out of here so they say there's no salt anywhere.  They're lying.  I will never forget how people treated me during these last 3 years on my own never!

2 hours ago, Nightjar said:

Sunny today 😁 and guess what? Just saw a bumble bee 🐝😀☀️

I have seen spring birds.  I get radical with people yelling these are spring birds right?!  I get so radical about it they might just be saying they are thinking wow what a nut!

On 2/14/2021 at 5:28 AM, jkd_sd said:

That is cold.  I've lived in close to that temp for a winter.   With the windchill, it was dangerous to be out long unless you were dressed to live.  One day there was a local news announcement that an elderly man had frozen on his front porch after apparently struggling to pick the right key, or placing and turning it to get into his house. 

Bulgakov

28 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

That is cold.  I've lived in close to that temp for a winter.   With the windchill, it was dangerous to be out long unless you were dressed to live.  One day there was a local news announcement that an elderly man had frozen on his front porch after apparently struggling to pick the right key, or placing and turning it to get into his house. 

Bulgakov

My dad lived slap-bang in the centre of Siberia for several years and severe cold was very dangerous; as the infrastructure wasn't as well developed and shelter was rare; especially in the tundra-type environment, where the highest shelter is a dwarf-birch barely pointing its top branches through the snow.
Such occurences were sadly frequent in gas pipeline construction areas in the middle of nowhere.

Makes me appreciate some people who shrug this off as a "fun challenge".