Hello! I discovered this forum last night, read posts til 2 AM, and said “Yes!” so many times I had to join.

It will be 10 years this month since my depression started with a traumatic event. It’s getting worse, despite MANY medical and holistic treatments. Medication and therapy were the least helpful. There’s a lot more I could say… but don’t want to discourage anyone else from trying these things, because I’ve seen them work for others. What’s helped me most is peer support, through addiction recovery groups (sober 9 years), blogging about a medical issue that’s fed into the depression, and having a small but consistent mindfulness group with a few friends.

Still, the effects are snowballing to an appalling degree. (You can imagine.) I’m tired and disillusioned, but see depression eating through the years and WANT to live, to salvage all I can. So, on this anniversary of the &$%# that started it all, I’m here to look for new tools, remember to practice what’s helped in the past, and just generally recommit to caring. Thank you for having me.

Welcome aboard to our forum friendSHIP.

Glad you found us.

My motto is: DESPAIR not/REPAIR a lot.

The repair work of course is done with clever and powerful metaphors.

We all have unlimited access to metaphorical tools.

Keep posting your concerns and we will be here to listen and help as best we can.

Oscar

Hi Ten Years, and welcome to the Forums,

It is very nice to meet you.  Depression is so brutal and I think you are heroic for having struggled against it for a decade.  Those not afflicted with depression cannot really understand how horrible it can be.  I hope you find these Forums to be a helpful place where you will meet many others who are struggling against depression.  I have been in this mental health battle for almost 50 years now but have done well for about the last two decades.  I wish you only the very best here and in your life journey and will be looking forward to reading anything you post here. 

Congrats on being sober for 9 years!   I know how hard it is.  It's very hard for me to get past depression as well.  Who knows what I really like?  Who knows who I really am?  For so long when I was feeling sad I just turned to some substance to feel better but that route almost killed me.  My problem in sobriety and trying to find happiness in life is I'm not sure I really enjoy anything but I'm not sure anyone else does either.  My mind remembers the huge binges and the feeling it got there and looks at most of life with a blah attitude.  I might have ruined my chances of finding happiness in the small things with my former lifestyle.

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

Congrats on being sober for 9 years!   I know how hard it is.  It's very hard for me to get past depression as well.  Who knows what I really like?  Who knows who I really am?  For so long when I was feeling sad I just turned to some substance to feel better but that route almost killed me.  My problem in sobriety and trying to find happiness in life is I'm not sure I really enjoy anything but I'm not sure anyone else does either.  My mind remembers the huge binges and the feeling it got there and looks at most of life with a blah attitude.  I might have ruined my chances of finding happiness in the small things with my former lifestyle.

It has been hard watching others' lives improve simply by removing the alcohol/drugs, while for me the depression is still there. I went through a period of thinking, 'If I'm still unhappy, I must be doing sobriety wrong, or maybe alcohol wasn't the problem.' Well, it wasn't THE problem, but it was an unhealthy way to cope. (It's a DEPRESSANT, after all.) What turned around my thinking was the idea that there's nothing so wrong in my life that taking a drink couldn't make it worse. Not the world's most inspiring quote... but it's true. Whatever else is going on, drinking is just like scratching an itch -- that kind of escape makes things feel better for a few hours but ultimately just makes the itch worse, repeat, repeat, repeat. Life is simpler if I don't go there.

Thanks for the welcome, and congrats on your 2 years! It does (with ups and downs) tend to get easier over time.

Juno