Sign in to follow this  
mmd

My mother, with cognitive issues after stroke

The stroke was long time ago, this is not a new story. After a stroke, now my mother have lot of cognitive issues, like short memory loss, also she cant find the words she is trying to say, she have an "exentric personality", she likes to fight with all people, she unbelievavle  a messy house.

I just post this to see if there are other people who also have a parent in this situation.

Im not looking for advices or kind words.

Due the stroke in her right part of the brain, her left hand is always closed, also a bit of the same in her left foot.

She causes me lot of stress sometimes. In part of the fights she loves to have, also she sometimes cant comprehend things, so she fights again, even if Im trying to help her.

When I visit her the house is really messy and she doesnt like if I clean it, the house needs some repair, the walls are crumbling but she doesnt want to repair it, even if she have the money.

She have some "magic thinking", its complicated to explain.

Things been OK with her lately, yesterday I had a bit of an aegue but was short, by phone, I try dont think too much because if I do I can go to a really dark place.

Anyway. 

Hi mmd,

My grandmother was like that too after suffering a stroke.  Sadly she developed full-blown dementia and required 24 hour hospital care until she passed away.  I went through all kinds of emotions through all this.  As a young person I knew my grandmother as a scientist.  She once built a shortwave radio for a hobby project.  Once when she developed dementia, we took her to a restaurant for dinner.  The waitress asked my grandmother if she wanted pie.  My grandmother said:  Pi=3.141592.  At this point she was starting to forget who her family was but she still remembered Pi.  Her personality changed a lot and the nurses knew she could get very difficult although I never saw that myself.  I can't remember her being messy though.

5 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Hi mmd,

My grandmother was like that too after suffering a stroke.  Sadly she developed full-blown dementia and required 24 hour hospital care until she passed away.  I went through all kinds of emotions through all this.  As a young person I knew my grandmother as a scientist.  She once built a shortwave radio for a hobby project.  Once when she developed dementia, we took her to a restaurant for dinner.  The waitress asked my grandmother if she wanted pie.  My grandmother said:  Pi=3.141592.  At this point she was starting to forget who her family was but she still remembered Pi.  Her personality changed a lot and the nurses knew she could get very difficult although I never saw that myself.  I can't remember her being messy though.

Sorry to hear that Epictetus, yes I remember you mentioned to me about your grand mother.

The pie/Pi story, wow.

My mother loves to fight thats a bit of a problem, she is bad at social traits, instead try to find solutions she preffers to argue, lately she is quite ok, but her house is such a mess !

The other day at lunch time I was looking for a knife and in the knife drawer I found the old litter scoop of a cat we no longer have, you know for what the litter scoop is for... And she doesnt care if that is with the plates or anything.