Sign in to follow this  
candy22

Disliking the family you were born into

Posted (edited)

First and foremost, I know every family has their problems and issues. So, telling me that is not helpful. I just don’t like the family I was born into - nothing but chaos, drama, rejection, mental illness, narcissism, abuse, etc. My dad suffered with severe mental illness and my mom is pretty much overbearing at times. Sometimes I just wish I had a different family. Even as an adult, I still think this. Anyone feel the same way? 

Edited by candy22

I was lucky to be born with a single loving parent who, to this day, will do anything just to make me happy.

But I did know a terribly at-risk girl from the East Coast who was in an extreme, similar circumstance. One day her desire to survive outweighed her desire to have a family and, without money, friends, or leads, she packed up all her stuff in a junky car and moved two states away alone, never to return. This was ten years ago, and not only is she now professionally fulfilled, artistically prolific, and free of 90% of the diseases her family inflicted on her, but she has also since married the love of her life, and after seeing how happy she became, everyone in her family consistently begs to visit her. Considering the state she was in when she arrived, I've never been more proud of anybody in my life.

Of course, I'm certainly not suggesting you run off and cut all ties or anything like that (this girl's circumstances were extreme, and therefore so was her response). But I can say that the world is a huge place, and sometimes all it takes is distance. Even small amounts of it. Even just a little bit in the mind.

I just have personality differences with the parents, pretty much. My mother is immensely popular with everyone she meets, it seems. But she and I are prone to blowouts, even in my middle age. She's extremely high energy, especially for 71, and I am rather low energy. She likes it hot, I like it very cool. Etc. And my father is very in control, and blunt. If he needs to leave, he leaves. If he wants to linger, it's very hard to say I've had enough. And his temper can be bad. 

So, nothing of the magnitude of drama you speak of, but many of the same thoughts of just wanting off the family merry go round (if I may ).