SamLee3536

Bipolar Depression

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Depression. With it comes lack of motivation to do anything, I was wondering how some of you come up with the motivation to do things. Things like dishes, cleaning ect. I'm struggling bad with motivation and looking for tips and wisdom.  Thanks in advance. 

Hi SamLee,

I'm sorry you're struggling. If it makes you feel any better, I fight the same battle every single day. After I wake up, but before I get up, I sit on the edge of my bed - just sit there - and try to ground myself. I don't stand. I just take some time to breathe deeply and stretch out my big fat stomach and little twiggy legs and feel the floor on my feet and look around and just keep breathing deeply. No thoughts, just physical feeling. Eventually I'll feel ridiculous for sitting there staring at the wall, and then I'll get up and go straight for the coffee.

Absolutely!

Sometimes I also set up a music playlist before I go to bed. Something loud and energetic that I can shove in my ears and start right as soon as I have enough breath. Then I force myself up and run to the first task. A lot of times it helps to just get started moving, and then once I accomplish that first thing (coffee), I can keep up the momentum. It doesn't work for everybody though.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:01 AM, sober4life said:

I drink tons of coffee to dig myself out of the hole but it usually makes me so manic I can't even get sleep.

I do the same. However, after a few days, I think the coffee causes my body to crash and get even more depressed or causes migraines. I don't have any other answer though.

4 hours ago, Renster said:

I do the same. However, after a few days, I think the coffee causes my body to crash and get even more depressed or causes migraines. I don't have any other answer though.

I crash from the coffee every night but I have no choice.  I have to fuel myself through this life.  If I don't I will lose everything.

16 hours ago, sober4life said:

I crash from the coffee every night but I have no choice.  I have to fuel myself through this life.  If I don't I will lose everything.

Crash or no, I'm still jealous of your momentum. I wish that was me. 😌

Posted (edited)

Yeah I understand what you say. Coffee is the only stimulant I have and it is the only thing that keeps me going too, except for the days  where even that doesn't work....I needed two cups just to get out of bed this morning. 

Edited by Renster

I don't get the manic side of bipolar, I only get the dark heavy miserable side of depression. Does it make things better or worse, if you swing back and forth? I imagine it would be worse.

51 minutes ago, Tymothi said:

I don't get the manic side of bipolar, I only get the dark heavy miserable side of depression. Does it make things better or worse, if you swing back and forth? I imagine it would be worse.

For me manic can be a great experience or a nightmare and I don't get to choose. So manic can be wonderful - i.e. getting everything done in no time, cooking, cleaning, working etc. Or it can be horrible because I buy heaps of rubbish which I don't need and I feel stressed, anxious and as if my brain is frozen trying to scream, wired, unable to rest or breathe. It is awful and I'd rather be depressed, but when I'm depressed, I'd rather be manic......

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 5:27 PM, SamLee3536 said:

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Depression. With it comes lack of motivation to do anything, I was wondering how some of you come up with the motivation to do things. Things like dishes, cleaning ect. I'm struggling bad with motivation and looking for tips and wisdom.  Thanks in advance. 

Hi Sam,

The first thing I do is make the bed. If I get nothing else done, at least I have one accomplishment for the day. If I forget, once I remember - I drop everything and go do it (even if I’m late & rushing out) I have found that this single thing can be the beginning of a major turn around.

Side benefit: A made bed makes it nice to go to bed. When Im nodding out on the couch, I have found myself smiling & thinking about slipping into the sheets of my nicely made bed. Makes me want to go to bed. Simple things, Simple pleasures 😎

One time things: when Im done with something, while it is in my hand, I put it away instead of putting it down. So easy to get distracted and to run off. Plates go in the dishwasher, food in the cubbard, clothes in the laundry basket. Simple.

If I’m completely overwhelmed, I’ve tried to do one thing when I walk into a room. Into the kitchen: wipe the counter. Into bathroom - put away toothbrush. Small tasks are additive turn into big accomplishments (like having a full dishwasher to run)  ha

There’s also the kanban thinking - a Japanese way to efficiency in manufacturing: everything has a spot. If you don’t know where to put something - it goes into a containment zone.

A containment zone is a specific area things go that have no place to go. Once in awhile clear out the containment zone. If you cannot find a good spot for something - throw it away. I have found that this is a good way to declutter.

Clutter: recently I have started thrift shopping (Goodwill etc) and find a lot of ‘treasures’ that I already have. Goodwill is usually selling these treasures for a ridiculously low price. No sense keeping something for years, you never use, that can replaced for a $1.00

I have been in a rut myself - thank you for reminding me: I will start making my bed (again) tomorrow 😎

Edited by StillStandinTall

Mental wellness goes connected at the hip with physical wellbeing. At the point when you eat well, get enough rest and remain dynamic, your passionate wellbeing can improve. Following solid schedules can improve your confidence, help mental capacity, and make it simpler for you to manage pressure. Thusly, feeling intellectually well can support your inspiration to stay with solid propensities.