What is THIS sympton

Ra7eN

I'll do a short version.

BRAZIL - anyone that has seen that movie will understand better.

When I was younger I was diagnosed with "manic-depression" which I believe translates to bi-polar today. I pride myself on not having the symptoms. I've learned to control it w/o medication (not cure it). And people are either stunned or in total disbelief when I tell them I am bi-polar. These days I rarely have the moode swings, if ever, outside the normal up and downs people have.

So what is my issue.

Well, I noticed a pattern over the last few years, and it is becoming stronger and stronger. I have hard core crying episodes. BUT, and it is a BIG BUT. they are not random. Short triggers are selfless acts of people to others or extended to myself. I mean SERIOUSLY I even fought of a lumpy throat on Iron Man 3 at the end. gawd. But the more real, and sincere, the more difficult it is to fight off. I will not bore you guys with examples, But that should suffice for now.

What is that? Why are they so strong, even music - the right song, will hit home as well.

Thanks for checking this out..

I will provide more info/examples as needed

Edited by Ra7eN

Emotions. My mother used to be like that. Every little thing would make her cry. It is often a symptom of depression. I am, on the other hand, the opposite. I cannot cry. I am more like a zombie. It is good that you are managing without drugs. Do your best to see a therapist (if you haven't) to work on your emotions. MAmy people turn to meds like my mom did but that can often create more problems.

I have extreme emotions.  I could cry over a commercial or looking outside and seeing the neighbor's dog playing with the soccer ball.  Seeing the mother bird feeding the baby birds in the nest outside my door made me cry today.

I've heard of those, but those don't make me break down. It is always something to do with heroic, self sacrifice (Gladiator for example) other things meh...

it has to be something of that nature always heroic, In real life, someone helping another just because - I mean big stuff, (not likehelping move, or not taking any gratuity, those are nice, but not a trigger... hard to explain, not every little thing.. no offense intended, it is specific. I could watch some good young kid sing.. but meh no big deal. even if they have some crazy story to go along with it, it is specific when I start to loose it.

again extremely difficult to convey.. thanks for the answer.

I think i will put a few up as they come along. While I know when it comes to movies, they are actors, but if they are good and the writer did it perfectly , it will trigger.

32 minutes ago, Zagor said:

Emotions. My mother used to be like that. Every little thing would make her cry. It is often a symptom of depression. I am, on the other hand, the opposite. I cannot cry. I am more like a zombie. It is good that you are managing without drugs. Do your best to see a therapist (if you haven't) to work on your emotions. MAmy people turn to meds like my mom did but that can often create more problems.

Hi.

ya I used to be on lithium and a ocuple others in my younger days, but these days I know how to watch out for things that make it go bad, and to this day works well, just the crying part - hard to be macho with tears down your eyes LOL!!! Especially if your boss does something for you selflessly and it is NOT in his nature. So never used meds.

I often experience what you describe.  It happens more when I am depressed as though the depression magnifies some aspect of my character such as feeling profoundly moved by selfless acts.  I have never sough treatment for that although I have sought treatment for depression.  I hope you get many responses to your post.  My heart goes out to you!

12 hours ago, Prycejosh1987 said:

Success takes time and effort. Just be patient and take the baby steps. Glad you have seen progress regarding this issue. Talk to someone about it too.

I was just curious if they had a label for this type of "crying". I never feel depressed, but the crying part is puzzling.

If it was just random, it would make sense, but it's triggered but one or two types of emotional stimuli.