Motavation

lostsoul65

I'm 72 years old and have been depressed for 17 years. I have enough work and study with my computer, building a computer, camera, GPS etc. to last me until I'm dead. So to start off I can keep busy for at least 1,000 hours but I have No Motavation. Most of the time I just open up a can of food or maybe a TV dinner because I can't get myself going to do anything. I take 300 mg. of Wellbutrin and some kind of mood med. I think it helps about 15%. I set down to study the camera I bought a couple of months and I'm on page 30 which give you an idea. My psychiatrist isn't much help and I think I'm taking to many Lorazepam. Any idea how I can get motivated to do the things I want to do?

Edited by lostsoul65
needed a word

Just now, lostsoul65 said:

I'm 72 years old and have been depressed for 17 years. I have enough work and study with my computer, building a computer, camera, GPS etc. to last me until I'm dead. So to start off I can keep busy for at least 1,000 hours but I have No Motavation. Most of the time I just open up a can of food or maybe a TV dinner because I can't get myself going to do anything. I take 300 mg. of Wellbutrin and some kind of mood med. I think it helps about 15%. I set down to study the camera I bought a couple of months and I'm on page 30 which give you an idea. My psychiatrist isn't much help and I think I'm taking to many Lorazepam. Any idea how I can get motivated to do the things I want to do?

Hi Lost Soul,

I'm 71, single, no pets; so I do understand what you're saying.  Age can take away some motivation.  How to get motivated when you aren't motivated to, is a question I'd be curious to know more about.

Skipping suggestions having to do with crafts, art, etc., what gets me up off my butt is just starting.  I get started by telling myself, as I worry about getting something done . . . that I need to get up.  Once I start on the task or whatever I can stay more or less motivated.  But the urge to move, for me, is on me.  I have to tell myself to start,  to get going, based on nothing really.  But, as said, the task, once started will usually keep my interest.  

Antigens be with you, Bulgakov

I know what you mean, I get up and drank a strong mug of coffee, feed my dog then sit in my recliner and sleep for an hour so now I can't sleep at night. So I'm going to try a 5 hour energy drink first thing in the morning, feed my dog and myself and then have my strong mug of coffee and really try to get something done.. I'm go to try this tomorrow. I also have a strong heart but can't get ridlin because of my age.

This might be a really bad idea, but what about getting a second opinion from another psychiatrist?  I have been on medications that didn't work or didn't work well, and a switch in meds really helped me.  I am so sorry you are going through this and as an old timer, I can certainly identify with so much of what you write about.  Hopefully you will get many responses to your post and some will prove helpful to you!

I would be wary of energy drinks as for health reasons.

To me it sounds like you are quite motivated to ask on the forum. I hear people often say "It's not work if you are doing what you love" and maybe you want to try diifferent things if the camera and computer is boring. If its fun to you then maybe just pace yourself on it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, lostsoul65 said:

I think you should speak to both your doctor about the medications and the psychiatrist about options. The person should be motivating you and giving you advice on solutions.