I've been on the lowest dose of antipsychotics (Haldol) for my borderline personality disorder. I think it takes away all my creativity and will, but since I had 2 psychotic episodes in the past 3 years I am afraid to get off it. Does anyone else have experience with antipsychotic medication side effects?

I'm on 2 meds of this type and I might sound weird but in my case they actually help. They do have a lot of side effects, like sedation or sometimes the other way, agitation for no reason. But once I stop taking them it always makes me relapse. Life on them is not easy, but without them I don't really know how long I would survive. Just my personal experience and opinion.

Relapse isn't my only concern in life.  I watched others live normal lives as I waved goodbye to mine because a lot of the things people do in normal life isn't possible with these meds.  If you want to have children for instance you can forget that idea on these meds.  I believed what they made me into with the meds must be who I really am for too long in my life.  They were liars and charlatans that just wanted to keep me doped up on meds forever so I could be an endless cash cow for them.  Never again!

@emptyman

I think it's not weird at all what you feel or experience when taking that medication. Everyone is different some medication helps some others it doesn't. Our bodies since I'm  not an expert and this is my opinion work in different ways. So no one is the same if a medication has side effects and it's known to have it  then people shared that info with others saying it does then not everyone will experience the same thing. Maybe a group  perhaps but not everyone. I say if this medication helps you function a bit or a lot even if those are its side effects and you can handle them. I see nothing wrong with taking them still if it truly helps you. Do what makes YOU feel better and able to funtion good.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:52 AM, soundwall said:

I've been on the lowest dose of antipsychotics (Haldol) for my borderline personality disorder. I think it takes away all my creativity and will, but since I had 2 psychotic episodes in the past 3 years I am afraid to get off it. Does anyone else have experience with antipsychotic medication side effects?

I didnt myself. Its good that you only had 2 psychotic episodes in 3 years. I think you should take it slow and go with the doctors advice.