What are you mainly using Zoloft for?

What are you mainly using Zoloft for?  

563 members have voted

1. 1. What are you mainly using Zoloft for?

• Anxiety only
    • Depression only
    • Anxiety and Depression
    • To counteract side effects from another med
    • Other

I am on Zoloft for depression and anxiety. I have been following the forum for a while, but only now could bring myself to post. I have been dysthymic for years and spiraled into severe depression over the last few months. I have already been in therapy before but decided this might be the time for both starting drugs for the first time and for changing my daily life.

I have been on Zoloft for 6 weeks now, and for the past two weeks added Lorazepam for the increased anxiety side effect (mostly for sleep). I started out on 50mg and had ALL the worst side effects. Hence, and since I've been known to be sensitive to medication in general, after a few days I took it down a notch to 12.5mg (and also switched from generic sertaline to brand name Zoloft). Since then I have been upping the dose by another 12.5mg about every week, now on 62.5mg and my psychiatrist thinks I should continue like that all the way up to 150mg. I still suffer from increased anxiety due to the Zoloft, but all other side effects are very minor. As for depression, I have been having better days and worse. I think that the 'down' days are just as down as before, but in the 'up' days I am much more vital than before, almost hypomanic or something. These are good enough news to convince me to continue with this gradual dose increase.

I guess this might not be the ideal place for a first post, but I didn't feel like opening a new thread just for me. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on Zoloft for about 6 weeks for depression and anhedonia - basically a lack of desire to do anything.

About 2 weeks ago my dr. bumped up my dosage from 50 to 100. I haven't noticed a difference between the 100 and 50 yet. Since started the 50 mg dose, I've been feeling strangely happy. BUT - I still have almost no desire to do anything. I don't feel like leaving my house or even taking a shower. But I'm not feeling sad at all. I just have no motivation or energy to do anything, really - which was one of my original symptoms that prompted me to get medical help. I'm wondering if 150 or 200 mg would work on this residual depressive symptom or if I'll have to find another med.

• 1 month later...

I'm taking it for OCD and the anxiety and depression that tag along with my obsessive thoughts. It's been two weeks on the Zoloft and 9 days at 100mg.

In the past I had been on Prozac, which worked for years until my compliance slipped to the point where I was basically not taking it. This time around Prozac sent me into a deep, deep depression. Zoloft seems to have pulled me out of that pit (or at least isn't causing severe side effects like the Prozac). Probably a few more weeks before my obsessions start to really fade, but so far, so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

Sarah,

You probably aren'y on here anymore since I am responding to a post from 2006 :D but I hope you are well. If you are still on here, what do you take for an anti-psychotic?? SSRI's arent enough to control my anxiety anymore :(

Used for depression in combination with my mood stabilizer and my anti-psychotic.

Taking it for anxiety and depression. General anxiety and social anxiety...had it all my life but only became a real problem a couple off years ago when I had ax breakdown and needed time off work and took paroxetine (yuk). First day and so get so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Taking it for anxiety and depression. General anxiety and social anxiety...had it all my life but only became a real problem a couple off years ago when I had ax breakdown and needed time off work and took paroxetine (yuk). First day and so get so good.

hi i am also on 50mg sertaline first day today and new to the forum ihave also had abreakdown ending up in a hospital really gutted that im back on ads wish at times i was normal and not have this reoccuring illness iff you would like to stay in touch please do you are not alone rolie xx

• 2 months later...

I am 25 years old,and have been battling depression untreated for 5 years roughly,I did go to a doctor late in 2010 to sought help for my depression,I was put on Avanza,which made me feel tired all the time and very dopey.I also gained alot of weight,which didnt make matters much better,I also felt like nothing was really getting better (I was on it for roughly 14weeks) I had a major meltdown 2 days ago,where I basically thought "I cant live like this anymore,Im wasting my life being this way" I knew help was out there,I have a beautiful partner who basically was at his wits end with dealing mwith me on a day to day basis,something had to give.I also have 2 amazing children,who deserve a happy calm mum,not one they have to walk on eggshells around,so I told all my family and friends what was going on,which was a huge step,as I have always been perceived as so happy and bubbly,surprisingly they had their suspicions,then I made an appointment with a doctor who was recommended,and I told her EVERYTHING,she was fantastic,and we have a great plan that I feel is going to help.I was put on setrona (setraline I guess?) and I had my first one this morning,and I dont know if it because im relieved its all out in the open and i know im going to get better,but I feel really calm today,calmer than i have for so long,and really de-stressed,Im hoping this medicine will work for me,fingers and toes are crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Reebee on a good start and having a good visit with your Dr. Welcome to our forums and I hope you've found some caring, knowlegeable people here.

Now that you've taken Zoloft for a fews days, how are you feeling?

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I am 25 years old,and have been battling depression untreated for 5 years roughly,I did go to a doctor late in 2010 to sought help for my depression,I was put on Avanza,which made me feel tired all the time and very dopey.I also gained alot of weight,which didnt make matters much better,I also felt like nothing was really getting better (I was on it for roughly 14weeks) I had a major meltdown 2 days ago,where I basically thought "I cant live like this anymore,Im wasting my life being this way" I knew help was out there,I have a beautiful partner who basically was at his wits end with dealing mwith me on a day to day basis,something had to give.I also have 2 amazing children,who deserve a happy calm mum,not one they have to walk on eggshells around,so I told all my family and friends what was going on,which was a huge step,as I have always been perceived as so happy and bubbly,surprisingly they had their suspicions,then I made an appointment with a doctor who was recommended,and I told her EVERYTHING,she was fantastic,and we have a great plan that I feel is going to help.I was put on setrona (setraline I guess?) and I had my first one this morning,and I dont know if it because im relieved its all out in the open and i know im going to get better,but I feel really calm today,calmer than i have for so long,and really de-stressed,Im hoping this medicine will work for me,fingers and toes are crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i use zoloft for mostly for anxiety which it works ok for so far. but does nothing for my depression but i suppose that any difference is good at this point. I have been able to sleep a bit better nothing to greagt but a little bit

I'm on Zoloft for depression and anxiety. Was on celexa for years but I didn't want to take it anymore a few months back. So I ended up on siprelax or whatever it is but made me go manic so had to come off that. Now onto Zoloft. Yay...

I'm on Zoloft for depression and anxiety. Was on celexa for years but I didn't want to take it anymore a few months back. So I ended up on siprelax or whatever it is but made me go manic so had to come off that. Now onto Zoloft. Yay...

I hope you find Zoloft more effective for you than Celexa. Let us know how you do.

MaddielLouise

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am on 50mg sertraline for anxiety/depression. This is my 2nd bout of depression having previous episode 8yrs ago. It's day 11 and I can feel the medication stopping the anxiety. Let's hope this is the beginning if the journey up and out. I think depression is possibly one of the worst afflictions a human can experience - its takes away who you actually are and remembering who you are, no matter how tenuous it may be is vital for recovery.