Sign in to follow this  
Nov21

How long does the brain take to readjust after going off antidepressants?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could point me to any information on this. About two months ago I had to taper off my Wellbutrin, Lamictal (mood stabilizer) and Klonopin (sleep aid) due to no longer qualifying for Medicaid and not being able to afford private insurance. I'm managing to get by and work for the most part, but I still feel that my brain chemistry is a bit off. I'll have a couple days a week where I just feel really tired, no matter how much coffee I drink :-) I was looking online to see if there's any consensus on how long it generally takes the brain to readjust to the absence of medications. I'd been taking those three medications for three years prior to tapering off.

Thank you for reading and I hope everyone is doing alright.

Edited by Nov21
typo

There is no set time table.  The brain is like the fingerprint.  There has never been 2 identical brains created in the history of earth.  Add on then life circumstances and there is nobody on the face of this earth that can tell you exactly when you will be back to normal if normal exists.

I concur. Very good analogy.

I'm tapering off also. I'm in week 7 and still have a while to go. Was told 2 months of taper and 1 month off. Then reevaluate where we are. Seratonin and norenephrine levels in the stomach/brain should normalize to whatever level is normal for you. 3 more months of monitoring to see if any wild mood swings or issues. So our plan is 3 months to ween the drug out and 3 months to see if I can tolerate no meds.

This is by far not a hard and fast rule, it's just our approach.