Do you have any plans for dealing with COVID-19

Epictetus

22 hours ago, Nightjar said:

Ditto. Ditto and um, ditto. 

What do you consider necessary in relation to social isolation and social distancing? 

Thanks for sharing your views! The specifics that show how you are balancing need to connect with need to be safe really helped me to examine my own views. 

I am not avoiding all non-essential in-person interactions, I'm attempting to balance risks between what I see are undesirable extremes. Total isolation plus news-binging plus unmitigated fear leads to mental health issues like depression, paranoia, delusional thinking, detachment and can become life-threatening to self and others.

On the other side, unbridled socialization ignores the risks evident to one's physical health but also ignores social responsibility to not be a virus vector, a possible threat to lives of others. The way I see it, all our personal choices about social distancing are somewhere on the spectrum between these two extremes. 

How I balance the risks, I expect that will evolve with time. 

17 hours ago, jkd_sd said:

Ditto here, too.  It would be helpful if they could include some 'do this instead of that' examples.

Thanks for sharing about "physical distancing" I like that term. 

Here's an example from my own life of complicated interactions on the matter of risk.

Tonight I attended a birthday dinner with 4 people. One of them was my 85 yr old mom (vulnerable due to age). Over many emails, my sister-in-law implored us to call off this gathering citing unnecessary risk to my mom. My mom cited her mental health (vulnerable due to depression) as a risk if we do call it off, said the dinner was necessary. The positions very quickly got emotional, each side suggesting that the other is being "ridiculous", both sides had facts to support their claim. We ended up having the dinner, but my sister-in-law declined to join us. 

At our gathering I think distancing was only a part of it really, habits are what we needed to watch - in ourselves and others. When we entered the house we all immediately took off coats and washed our hands. No hugging or kissing no touching. Sitting a reasonable distance from each other. When someone reached for my wine glass to refill it, I grabbed it away.

We pointed out each other's habits and behaviors during the meal in order to stay mindful of the risk we all consented to. Everyone was gracious and deferential about observing and reminding, washing hands again when necessary and we didn't quarrel about every tiny detail. 

Screen time and voice time with dear ones are very useful ways to mitigate the social deficiency of isolation - but they aren't complete replacements for human interaction. One persons tolerance for being alone is not everyone's. Loss of touch and affectionate gestures is a big deal for many of us.

The idea that they are sending people checks is what scares me.  The checks probably won't get to people until the middle of next month so how long do they really plan on keeping things the way they are?  By the middle of next month things must go back to "normal" for this country to survive!  They will get to a point where they will have to risk it and just see what happens.  They will eventually be backed into a corner where the only possible answer left is business as usual.

1 hour ago, watalife said:

Yes I need a check so I can go buy nothing in the stores :coopcray:

In stores some of the things that come to the store the business that delivers chooses how much is stocked.  For other things a manager or owner decides what things are delivered.  In these times especially in small towns people might not be able to afford to keep shelves stocked.

I want to cry. This is already awful and it's only been a little over a week. My family is so toxic. I asked my brother to throw out the mounds of cardboard boxes he left in my Dad's room to reduce the risk of my Dad having an asthma attack, and he refused and blamed my other brother for taking over downstairs. And this is supposed to be the good, reasonable brother (although how much reason can you expect from a hoarder). He's had 2 screaming matches (one with each of my brothers) in the last week alone.

My Dad's BP spiked and he was having blurry vision. It's settled now but this happened at the beginning of the year as well. I do not want him to go to the doctor or even worse the hospital.

It's just garbage piled on garbage (literally and figuratively in my family's case). I see people going through this only mildly inconvenienced and it just makes me angry. After everything settles down, all my problems remain.

My state just issued a stay at home order starting tomorrow and going until April 6th.  It doesn't surprise me because people here have been living their life the same way they used to live it and ignoring everything that is going on.

16 hours ago, sober4life said:

My state just issued a stay at home order starting tomorrow and going until April 6th.  It doesn't surprise me because people here have been living their life the same way they used to live it and ignoring everything that is going on.

same here, stay at home until may 15th,  but i'm considered essential according to the states list, outside of work i plan to stay home

people just dont get it, or don't care

32 minutes ago, surfcaster said:

same here, stay at home until may 15th,  but i'm considered essential according to the states list, outside of work i plan to stay home

people just dont get it, or don't care

Surely you mean April 15th right?😲Oh my god there is one that says May 15!

Edited by sober4life

This is turning into a nightmare like I knew it would.  People still aren't taking things seriously.  Oh you won't get a ticket if you come over tomorrow if you stay on the backroads.  Yeah that's good logic.  In other words people are going to start trying to manipulate me into risking going out.  I won't though.  Today was a nightmare and the lockdown hasn't even started.  My symptoms are way up to put it lightly!

23 hours ago, sober4life said:

This is turning into a nightmare like I knew it would.  People still aren't taking things seriously.  Oh you won't get a ticket if you come over tomorrow if you stay on the backroads.  Yeah that's good logic.  In other words people are going to start trying to manipulate me into risking going out.  I won't though.  Today was a nightmare and the lockdown hasn't even started.  My symptoms are way up to put it lightly!

I don't have internet at home so I'm coming into the office to work. We are still operating. Only a few of us are here; the majority are working from home. My daughter wants me to move in with her and my ex in the old house. It's somewhat tempting but I enjoy isolating on my own. Yes, I said "enjoy". I'm an expert at isolating.

I can see why the president wants to open up the country.  We're seeing businesses that are considered essential closing because people are saying why would I risk my life to work at McDonalds or the grocery store?  We can't count on anything staying open.  Why would people risk their life to pick up the garbage or risk their life to work at the gas station?  They won't.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:34 AM, sober4life said:

I hope you get through this and return to full health @RichW I know someone in my life that might have this virus as well.  This entire situation is very scary.  If you watch about it on tv pretty much everyone is scared at this point.  I don't think anyone sees the path through this at this point if I'm being honest.  I don't see how it's possible to get through everything and get everything back to normal.

Thanks. Feel fine now, think if I did have it it was a mild case. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how we look back at this. This is weirdly optimistic for me... We forget just what we take for granted. Something like this ought to make us reassess our priorities. Wether it actually does or not is another matter eh? I hope our next normal is in some ways different to the normal we knew. 

#StaySafe everyone!

Coronavirus Live Updates: Trump Extends Social Distancing Guidelines to April 30 as U.S. Cases Top 140,000

The global count has passed 700,000, an official warns Britain that some kind of lockdown may last for months and Joe Biden urges mail-in elections.

RIGHT NOW

More than 894,000 tests have been performed in the United States, according to the Trump administration’s point man for testing.