Do you have any plans for dealing with COVID-19

Epictetus

My main is worry is catching the virus and then passing it on to someone vulnerable, perhaps handing them a death sentence. As I see it, that's currently the main problem: The virus is transmitted easily enough to infect most of the population, which would doom those in the susceptible class with weakened immune systems, preexisting conditions and the like.

In my area, almost everything is closed -- restaurants, bars, theaters, libraries, gyms, schools, etc. Businesses are telling people to work from home. The lack of hustle and bustle on the streets makes it seem like a holiday or snowstorm every day.

I didn't buy any masks or gloves. I don't think they would make a different honestly. I am just trying to keep myself calm by reading and listening to music. The places I used to visit and hang out are pretty much closed, so I can't really go out , except for a walk. I admit my anxiety is a bit higher than usual, because I am stuck at home, thinking the worse case scenarios (which is why I limit my time listening to the radio and TV about this stuff, they are making people very anxious, and some websites are fake, be careful of those guys, and will post anything)......

I am not afraid about me, honestly, all my life has been a disaster thanks to this illness. I am more terrified/anxious about the people I love my family and friends who are in the age group and have chronic immune problems that might catch this virus and not make it. I already know my future, and judging from the past it's not the best...but I wouldn't want anything to happen to my the people I care about or anyone out there for that matter, but things happens...we don't have much control over it.(all they told us is to wash/sanitize , and pretty much stay home and not have large gatherings).. the more we stress, the more it makes it worse.  I just wash and sanitize like I normally do I haven't changed my lifestyle over this , aside for the fact that we can't go anywhere in public, nothing is open.

I will say that many people I have talked to are stressed about their finances and jobs, which worries them a lot, ..all the bills/rent/mortgage/etc.. Lets hope for the best..

I'm 90% sure I have the virus, I've been self-isolating since Monday. To be honest, I'd avoided reading up much about the symptoms of the virus until I thought I caught it. I've been reading a lot about the ways in which other countries have been impacted and what they've done to deal with it. Course I've been keeping an eye on what's happening here too. 

It's been a bit weird for me. I worry about everything, but somehow not this. Heh, Ithink I'd already accepted a couple of weeks ago that I was going to get it.  If this is it, I don't think I'll actually get to find out. Today the government announced plans to test more people, but up until now they've only been testing people who are actually at hospital and rich people. Confirmed case figures are nowhere near the reality. I can't be certain that I have got it and that isn't great, how can we get a grip of it if we don't know the true extent of it? I've surprised myself just how at ease I am about it. My biggest concern with it has always been, if I did get it, who I'd pass it on to. I work in a hospital, I get the bus to work. May well have picked it up at the hospital. It does sadden me that it's brought out the worst in so many people though. Literally fighting over toilet roll, stockpiling selfishly without thinking of the needs of others, selling paracetamol at a 2000% mark up on eBay. That's what's bothering me about all this.

I hope you get through this and return to full health @RichW I know someone in my life that might have this virus as well.  This entire situation is very scary.  If you watch about it on tv pretty much everyone is scared at this point.  I don't think anyone sees the path through this at this point if I'm being honest.  I don't see how it's possible to get through everything and get everything back to normal.

10 hours ago, sober4life said:

I need to take a break from it because I'm to the point of looking at the conspiracy theories about this.  My mind is way to fragile to go down this road.

It is a conspiracy, to do this and to do that. No need to think it's not. There is something or someone behind this. Now where's all the toilet paper if there's not a shortage??? Lies after lies after lies. Trust your gut it's telling you the truth!

17 minutes ago, watalife said:

It is a conspiracy, to do this and to do that. No need to think it's not. There is something or someone behind this. Now where's all the toilet paper if there's not a shortage??? Lies after lies after lies. Trust your gut it's telling you the truth!

I just want us all to have peaceful happy lives.  I don't want to live in a world where every single conspiracy theory you come across you can easily say yeah I can see that happening.

12 hours ago, ladysmurf said:

I will say that many people I have talked to are stressed about their finances and jobs, which worries them a lot, ..all the bills/rent/mortgage/etc.. 

Is disability benefits non-existent in their country? It's getting paid by the government without having to look for a job or stressed about losing one 

Went to the nearest big town to make sure I had enough stuff if I need to self quarantine for two weeks.  I went to Blythe, CA, with a 20,000 population and two chain groceries.  My town is 3,700 in off tourist season, and has two pocket-sized grocery stores with prices that are laughable year round . 

I went to an Albertson's--medium size chain--in Blythe, and was dreading it based on news reports.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it busy, but certainly no lines to get in.  They had most everything, with some shortages of bread and gallon water, which I drink and make coffee with.  Soup, dry and cooked cereals were running low, but employees were filling the gaps here and there as trucks arrived with more product.   The produce was also abundant, though an employee was emptying the greenest bananas I've ever seen into the empty banana space.  It looks like they are running out and restocking in successive waves at the moment.

I didn't need much, I already had rice, pasta, non perishable food, and all the paper products required.  So if you're close to Blythe which I appreciate you aren't, the two chain grocers there have lots of stuff, for now.

From what I can tell from the media, the experts, and the politicians, I've done all I can at the local, state, and federal levels.   Have I done all I could?  That's a very good question!  And since I don't know the answer please allow me to tap dance around it for 5 minutes.  But it's only natural,  to try and not tell it too hard or too soft either way when asked questions without answers.

I guess I'm ready.  Good health to all DF members.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

. . . taking precautions like wearing protective gear and avoiding crowds.  I live with my very old parents and though my health is bad structurally (joints and back), it has been up to me to do the shopping, which is fine, because they are at a higher risk than I. 

I occasionally turn on the news channels and get updates, though my mother watches them all day long.  They mentioned wanting to go out tomorrow, but I don't think it's a good idea.  (Maybe I'll hide their car keys . . . 😉)

9 hours ago, iWantRope said:

Is disability benefits non-existent in their country? It's getting paid by the government without having to look for a job or stressed about losing one 

I'm not sure how things work in every country. Every country has different rules, and I have extreme anxiety that I usually have my family/friends handle my medical and everything because I can't find any relief from stress..

On the Yahoo site today, an analyst at Bank of America said: 

“Our checks across North America were consistent: regardless of region, cannabis purchases have accelerated,” analyst Christopher Carey said in a note. “While likely on pantry loading, it’s not unreasonable to think there will be some boost to per capita consumption as people stay at home longer.”  The headline was something like , Pot Use Soars As More People Stay At Home. 

I don't want to start a marijuana fight.  Every dispensary or rec use menu I've checked online describes their product as more or less for anxiety relief, sells it with that thought.  I don't know of any science with that, but it's also  commonly advertised as a pain and depression killer, according to the copy written about it.   

I don't know if it's all that, but it reminded me of a comic, a graphic novel popular in late 60s to early 70s I think.  The comic was called "ZAP", and it was a counter culture comic, an absurdist satire featuring recurring characters like "Zippy the Pinhead",  "Mr. Natural" "Angelfood McSwine" and "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers".  I thought of the comic because the three Freak Brothers had a slogan, a mantra that lots of people read and shared.  It was "Dope will get you through times with no money better than money will get you through times with no dope." 

I'm not advocating mj, but I did half expect to see a rise in use as people were increasingly house bound.  And most of the mj stocks in North America went up with the news.  

Bulgakov

Washing hands is the main weapon. Social isolation too whether or not infection if involved.

Though going for a walk is needed to get that juicy vitamin D activated in the skin, and fresh air. Vitamin D supplements too.

I noticed loads of families just spatziering (going for a walk) in the early-spring sun. Hopefully they'll know to keep distance from others.

I think the hardest part of all of this for me is how it’s changing my life. I’m only 23 years old so I feel pretty confident I’d be okay if I got sick. But I felt like before this happened, I was barely hanging in there with my anxiety and depression, and now everything is changing all the time and I can’t handle it. Just this week they said we all had to work from home. I live alone and was already feeling incredibly lonely in the evenings after work, but now I feel that way all day. Even worse yet, my boyfriend doesn’t want to hang out on the weekends at the moment because his mother doesn’t want me to come over and he doesn’t want to go anywhere, all because of the virus. So I’m in complete isolation. And I can’t go out to eat or go shopping like I used to do to deal with the loneliness, because everything is closed in my area. And they’re saying this could go on for 6-8 weeks? I have no idea how I’ll manage. It’s only week 1 for me and I’m a mess. I never thought something like this could happen. Anybody else feeling the emotional toll of this? 

50 minutes ago, leelee1212 said:

I think the hardest part of all of this for me is how it’s changing my life. I’m only 23 years old so I feel pretty confident I’d be okay if I got sick. But I felt like before this happened, I was barely hanging in there with my anxiety and depression, and now everything is changing all the time and I can’t handle it. Just this week they said we all had to work from home. I live alone and was already feeling incredibly lonely in the evenings after work, but now I feel that way all day. Even worse yet, my boyfriend doesn’t want to hang out on the weekends at the moment because his mother doesn’t want me to come over and he doesn’t want to go anywhere, all because of the virus. So I’m in complete isolation. And I can’t go out to eat or go shopping like I used to do to deal with the loneliness, because everything is closed in my area. And they’re saying this could go on for 6-8 weeks? I have no idea how I’ll manage. It’s only week 1 for me and I’m a mess. I never thought something like this could happen. Anybody else feeling the emotional toll of this? 

Yes. I am trying to hang on to positivivity - but I am slipping.

Tonight the governor of CA declared shelter in place for the entire state, first US state to order closure of non-essential businesses and other restrictions designed to "flatten the curve". We in SF have been under restriction since the beginning of the week so it doesn't change a thing for us. People are at home smoking cannabis and having sex but not me, I'm over it. I'm watching netflix. 

Dont know what you may hear about California in your news feeds in coming days so I'll pass along these facts

Police are not enforcing this shelter in place  order. People are still walking around outside together, like shoulder to shoulder, even the police. Many houses of worship have decided to host their services online (not an order from government or religious authorities, it's voluntary and again - not being enforced by law officers).

The national guard is not patrolling the streets but about 500 are being deployed throughout to distribute meals as volunteers have gone home. Probably to smoke weed and have sex. 

I went to the grocery store today, no line to get in but a cordon was in place in case panicked buyers arrived in droves. No toilet paper of any kind. I needed sliced bread and was limited to a choice of only 5 different varieties instead of more than 12 - and that's some medieval sh1t right there. For your records, I grabbed a loaf of sprouted wheat bread. 

So far, California has 675 comfirmed cases of COVID-19 - limited tests. The governor estimates about half of all Californians - about 25 million - will be infected in the next 2 months but that projection doesn't account for measures taken to limit its spread (such as his statewide order). Or whatever help our federal government decides to give, like the navy hospital ship and mobile hospitals the governor asked for. 

Families, including my own, are in disagreement over what is considered "necessary" and "essential" reasons to gather and are quarreling about isolation and what "social distancing" means. Not as if we were all like-minded about anything before this. Not judging them but they're wrong and dumb and I'm not so validate me, please. 🤭

24 minutes ago, Atra said:

Families, including my own, are in disagreement over what is considered "necessary" and "essential" reasons to gather and are quarreling about isolation and what "social distancing" means.

Ditto. Ditto and um, ditto. 

What do you consider necessary in relation to social isolation and social distancing? 

Personally, I think if we are aiming for maximum contagion limitation (is that a thing?) then we need to go for complete isolation wherever possible. 

If we want a reduced risk, then we can reduce social interaction significantly. This is the option my dad is plumping for. While it seems quite balanced and is line with British government recommendations, it doesn't quite cut it in terms of avoiding spreading this plague in my opinion. He is putting himself at risk with his daily shopping expeditions. He enjoys them and feels his quality of life would be too compromised if he didn't continue with it and so whilst I am concerned, I am not gonna interfere with his free will and his doing what he needs to do to keep going through this. He has cut out his spa membership and regular restaurant use and this to him is enough of a compromise. He still sees all of his children (me included). 

My take on it is that I'm reducing my shop to once weekly, reluctantly avoiding restaurants but still maintaining contact with my nearest and dearest (they are few!) I accept the fact that there is a risk that comes with that but I guess that is where I draw my line. I guess I feel nearest and dearest are worth a bit of risk. If they were confirmed as having it then I would avoid contact as much as possible but I'm guessing there would probably still be some (contact). 

Edited by Nightjar

It's getting absolutely outrageous!  If you watch the news the anchors can't even sit in the same room!  They can't really enforce a shelter in place order.  Everyone that is stopped by a cop can just say I'm going to get groceries and I guarantee you every single person that does get a misdemeanor fine for being out will sue the state after all of this is over.  They lie and say we have rights so they have to keep up the farce to some point.  The governor probably doesn't even expect it to be enforced.  He's just covering his butt.  Down the road he can say well I told them to do it.

6 hours ago, Atra said:

Families, including my own, are in disagreement over what is considered "necessary" and "essential" reasons to gather and are quarreling about isolation and what "social distancing" means.

Ditto here, too.  It would be helpful if they could include some 'do this instead of that' examples.

On a press conference this morning updating Covid-19 info, one of the 'experts' said she preferred the phrase "physical distancing".  She said given the situation, we all need 'social contact' to promote mental health.   I agree!  Phone calls, texts, etc., are certainly not the same as in-person communication, but they are probably even more important now.   Sitting 20 feet apart and having a conversation can be reassuring.  Virtual hugs to all!

Eventually every state will have a shelter in place order.  The country won't survive this more than a month.  At some point they will have to let everything be open again or there won't be a country.  It's that simple.  No money no country.