Do you have any plans for dealing with COVID-19

Epictetus

This is all scary and terrifying and a lot of people don't seem to be taking it seriously.

I have just left my volunteer position to keep my Dad safe (and he was the one getting mad at me for going!). But he's not taking any precautions himself! My best friend is still going to travel in Asia next month. My volunteer place focuses on seniors and I think it is a powderkeg waiting to be lit. I am terrified for all these people I care about and don't know what to do.

The line between hysteria and preparedness is blurred to me. The groceries are full of people at closing time. Everyone is tense and moody. No rubbing alcohol or disinfectant wipes or hand sanitizer anywhere (and none online for a reasonable price).

I want Canada to have a travel ban on everywhere tbh.

I had bought some N95 masks for the 2019 flu season because I almost died last time I contracted the flu.  I wore one today to Walmart.  People kept stopping me asking me where I got the N95 respirator.  Some lady asked if she could buy the one I was wearing.  

I absolutely need to stop watching the news coverage about this.  I watched the president's speech and then flipped back and forth from one side to the other on different news stations and as I was watching very much had feelings of do I want to be in a world like this with people that are this evil?  This needs to stop being a bipartisan thing.  Everyone needs to come together and start helping each other and put their other agendas aside right now!  I'm absolutely a person that believes in free speech in this world but maybe at some point there needs to be a human tax where people need to at least act human.

Some potentially good news for some people . . .  South Korea has tested more people for the new Coronavirus than any other country [140,000 tested.]  Other countries have tested in a range of 100's of cases to a few thousand. 

South Korea, with 140,000 people tested is showing a case fatality rate of 0.6%.  I'm from the US and the last statistic I saw was that the US has tested around 7288 people and shows a case fatality rate of 5% [statistics from most recent CDC report].

The trend in case fatalities following the Korean data is that as more people are tested, case fatality rates decrease, all other things remaining equal. 

A factor in the situation in Italy seems to be that there have been shortages of Intensive Care Unit beds available compared to the demand for them.  Also . . . Italy appears to have the oldest population in Europe with 23% of Italians 65 years and older.

There are some people out there thinking and hoping this might start to get better as the warmer weather gets here like the flu.  People will say Tom Hanks got it in Australia where it's warm weather.  Yes and it's because people from China visited Australia.

The people are acting like it's Black Friday at all the stores.  I am worried for a bunch of various reasons so yes I did stock up on everything at the store.  You could look at it different ways really.  You could say wow these people are really nuts for freaking out so much but I didn't see it that way.  Honestly I felt proud of them all because they are all going to be strong and fight their way through this however it goes.  I'm proud of my state because I know they are going to fight through this to whatever end there is.

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

The people are acting like it's Black Friday at all the stores.  I am worried for a bunch of various reasons so yes I did stock up on everything at the store.  You could look at it different ways really.  You could say wow these people are really nuts for freaking out so much but I didn't see it that way.  Honestly I felt proud of them all because they are all going to be strong and fight their way through this however it goes.  I'm proud of my state because I know they are going to fight through this to whatever end there is.

Well they said to stock up on 2 weeks worth of supplies in case of self-quarantine. I made a donation to our local food bank because I feel guilty for also taking part in this.

I am trying not to eat so much so less trips to the store, but I massively want to stress eat right now 😩

Tried grocery delivery, half of the stuff was out of stock.

My brother (who is already a paranoid conspiracy theorist) is just at the starting line of craziness. I am terrified of where this is going. I can see him locking himself up in the basement with all of our canned goods.

Trying to stay calm and failing miserably.

I'm pretty much where your brother is.  It's time for us to look at what the rich people and the government are doing and face reality I think.  There is a huge chance things are much worse than they are telling us by the way they are acting!

On 3/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, JD4010 said:

I'm not flying anywhere or going on a cruise (the latter is something I'd never do anyway). Other than that, I'm trying to live my life as well as I can. Because of my degenerating lung tissue, I'm at very high risk of mortality but I'm not letting the thought get to me (too much 🙂 ).

If I had my way, I'd be living in a cabin out in the woods far away from anyone. But being a wage slave, that isn't an option.

I hope you're doing ok man.  I worry because you haven't been here for a few days.

21 hours ago, sober4life said:

I'm pretty much where your brother is.  It's time for us to look at what the rich people and the government are doing and face reality I think.  There is a huge chance things are much worse than they are telling us by the way they are acting!

I'd be less pissed off if he actually lifted a finger to help. Nope! Me and my other brother are the ones shovelling snow, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning. He is the one content to complain loudly when the food isn't up to his standards. Meanwhile he sits on his *** in front of the computer all day. And I can't say **** because then my Dad gets mad at me for fighting, as if I was the one who instigated it!

As far as the US government, Americans have someone who has been fighting for decades for M4A, paid sick leave, guaranteed housing. But looks like he's not gonna be the candidate. Instead you're gonna get the guy with obvious signs of cognitive decline vs the guy with obvious signs of COVID19 who still insists on shaking hands with people. The super-rich are flying off to their underground bunkers to wait this out. Trillions are suddenly being spent to prop up the stock market but none can be given for sick leave, health care, housing. How is every adult in America not saying "we can do much better"? I don't get it. Not that Canada is much better, especially my ridiculous province 🙄

Sorry, don't like to get political but I'm very angry and frustrated at everyone the past few days.

My views on this is matter is this. If the people in charge giving the news and sharing it with us, all types of government people the ones who are supposed to take care and protect us. Stop scaring people and making them panic  all types of ways they are doing now by saying certain things to us. We would have a lot of this virus issues under control and not how it is now. My family and I are washing our hands a lot and doing what they say to do and of course taking good care of ourselves as well. That's all I can say I'm doing at least. I apologize I'm not knowledge about this matter and this is just my opinion on it.

Cases tripled in a week.

Statistically we're pretty high with the reported cases compared with our 1.3 million population.

The gov't is reacting to danger instead of trying to prevent danger.

Gov't is like: "Hmm, dis fire look pretty ouchy, my friend got burn... wat if I put my hand in fire? Do I burn too?"
Gov't should be: "Hmm, my friend got burn. Fire = ouchy. Not good. Me not put hand in fire!"

Edited by APFSDS

It makes me angry that the government knows what their plans are going forward.  They know exactly what the restrictions will be that they will put on us on Monday but they're making us wait.  As if we need that but they said they will do anything and everything to protect the people.  Everything is on the table they said.  I feel like the entire time they haven't been completely honest with people.  I very much feel the walls closing in on me more every day.

Edited by sober4life

10 hours ago, APFSDS said:

Cases tripled in a week.

Statistically we're pretty high with the reported cases compared with our 1.3 million population.

The gov't is reacting to danger instead of trying to prevent danger.

Gov't is like: "Hmm, dis fire look pretty ouchy, my friend got burn... wat if I put my hand in fire? Do I burn too?"
Gov't should be: "Hmm, my friend got burn. Fire = ouchy. Not good. Me not put hand in fire!"

Detected cases tripled in a week. Remember, not to long ago it was nigh onto impossible to get tested. Therefore, people who had it were not getting tested. Now the tests are available - of course more cases have been detected.

8 hours ago, JessiesMom said:

Detected cases tripled in a week. Remember, not to long ago it was nigh onto impossible to get tested. Therefore, people who had it were not getting tested. Now the tests are available - of course more cases have been detected.

The tests they are giving out are "free" too.  The places that are giving out these tests give them to us for free but places like Walmart pay for these tests and then they are allowed to write all of the cost off with their taxes so the tax payers will be paying for these tests.

Edited by sober4life

So I'm looking at yesterday with the governor of this state and he basically was able to announce to many people you will lose your job at 9PM today when he no longer allowed bars and restaurants to sell to people unless it was carryout.  That's all the more warning that has to be given to people.  Who knows what all of those people will do today.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:36 PM, Lindsay said:

@Epictetus and @sober4life,

I am worried as well.

I have plane tickets for a week up North in Pa. to visit my youngest daughter and two grandsons, plus my Son and son-in-law and

the thought of going right at Easter has me worried.  :dontgetit:  This is a ticket from last year that I cancelled.  SW airlines saves tickets for you if you cancel them, up to a year.

otherwise I could never have afforded to go this year!  Now I do not want to go. Ugh.  Besides, I really do not want to leave my poodles!  LOL.

I can understand Epi's concerns as I am older than he is.:cry:

Take it easy everyone and if you are not my age, or a baby...do not worry!!!!

:hearts:

-Lindsay

Yes there are reasons to be worried.  I currently have the flu, and just going out to another doctor worries me.  My main doctors are all spread out to other hospitals so I'm dealing with docs who--I'm not feeling cared for, ya know?  People aren't taking this virus seriously, which means it's going to spread, the numbers are going to be ridiculous after awhile. 

Just everybody please be safe, cautious, and Epictetus good for you for storing masks due to your past flu's.  That's smart!  Yes when I can I'm going to stores super early too.  Thanks for naming that mask which can be reusable..

Let's all hang in there.  

On 3/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, sober4life said:

I hope you're doing ok man.  I worry because you haven't been here for a few days.

Thanks. Yeah, we had a family emergency to deal with late last week. It never lets up, does it.

6 hours ago, sober4life said:

So I'm looking at yesterday with the governor of this state and he basically was able to announce to many people you will lose your job at 9PM today when he no longer allowed bars and restaurants to sell to people unless it was carryout.  That's all the more warning that has to be given to people.  Who knows what all of those people will do today.

The whole house of cards is coming down. Around the world. Almost seems orchestrated.