Do you have any plans for dealing with COVID-19

Epictetus

On 8/6/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bulgakov said:

Michelle O'Bama has said she has what she termed "low-grade" depression.  She attributed her condition to Covidian turmoil, racism, politics, and the policies of the current White House.  I'm not editorializing, it's what she was saying.   And I don't doubt she is suffering, albeit at a low grade. 

I wonder if her depression is a different kind, or just a different amount? 

I read this too. She just launched a new podcast and I'm wondering, will she talk openly about struggling with it? I hope so. 

When I read "low-grade depression", I also wondered what the term meant. Is she experiencing vicarious trauma, triggered by videos on social media? Then again from the attributions listed, her depression could be from grieving secondary losses and symbolic losses. Or maybe I'm projecting on her. I'm grieving loss of life and lifestyle, loss of leadership and the deterioration of civility. 

On 8/6/2020 at 4:58 PM, sober4life said:

The governor of my state tested positive for the virus.😲

It was a false positive but basically everyone in my state thinks he faked being sick to avoid seeing the president.

Edited by sober4life

• 2 months later...

Covid numbers are way up today.  Talking heads and expert heads are re-stressing the need to wear a mask.  The mask's effectiveness is an ongoing messed up debate.  But the mask, distancing, and washing hands are for now, still the most hopeful--and only-- prevention methods we have.  The far side of the argument is that we won't control the virus until everyone wears a mask.  I have to hope they're wrong. 

I live in a desert town of about 3,500.  When I go to one of our two dollar stores, or our local small grocery store  I'd guess roughly half don't wear masks. And the non masked usually don't look like they'd appreciate any friendly civic advice.  Nearby, Blythe, CA at 35,000 population has an Albertsons and a Smart and Final Iris--both large chains.  When I go there to shop, everyone is wearing a mask. 

And I know there are tons of towns with roughly the same size and attitude as mine across the country

26 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

Covid numbers are way up today.  Talking heads and expert heads are re-stressing the need to wear a mask.  The mask's effectiveness is an ongoing messed up debate.  But the mask, distancing, and washing hands are for now, still the most hopeful--and only-- prevention methods we have.  The far side of the argument is that we won't control the virus until everyone wears a mask.  I have to hope they're wrong. 

I live in a desert town of about 3,500.  When I go to one of our two dollar stores, or our local small grocery store  I'd guess roughly half don't wear masks. And the non masked usually don't look like they'd appreciate any friendly civic advice.  Nearby, Blythe, CA at 35,000 population has an Albertsons and a Smart and Final Iris--both large chains.  When I go there to shop, everyone is wearing a mask. 

And I know there are tons of towns with roughly the same size and attitude as mine across the country

I've seen exactly what you have seen but I don't think it's political like they tell us.  People are different in small towns.  Not in a million years would you think there is a pandemic going on here if you arrived from a differerent planet or traveled through time.  This area of small town USA will never be different no matter what is going on.  Wearing a mask is certainly better than nothing.  Why not wear one when you go out if you have one?

• 2 weeks later...

In Ontario Canada masks are required in all stores and indoor public places. Compliance appears to be 99%+. Our case numbers are lower than those in many other countries, but I can't attest to precise reasons for that. I think masks help. I'm in a city of 300,000 but I've been through a few small towns nearby where I've found they're often even stricter about masks, presumably because they don't want those passing through to bring the virus into town.

Let's just be happy we're not (yet) at the point some parts of Europe find themselves - i.e. masks required anywhere outside your home, even outdoors.

I've avoided the corona news for the most part because it gives me anxiety. I've been taking precautions but in all honesty I've been more ocd in the past about touching things than I am now. 

I dont want to stress myself out by taking extreme measures and so I feel it best to take moderate precautions with regard to touching things and washing my hands. Also, we have to wear a mask here to go shopping now. 

I've been seeing three family members regularly and I saw one other on one other occasion since this whole thing started. That's not unusual for me and my hermit style life in general. This is against the rules we have here but most people are breaking them to varying degrees. 

I have been coping quite well so far, what with avoiding the news and all that. But then....

I went and watched a Corona documentary didn't I.

Doh! 😖

Now I feel anxious about it all over again, just as it's back in the rise. But I wanted to be more informed and so I'm glad I did it in a way.....

...There is one family member who I would rather not see because they are pretty hopeless with their precautions. The only saving grace there is that lockdown has forced them to stop doing things that they would otherwise continue to do. 

This whole thing is very tough. I hope it will be over sooner than I imagine it will be. 

I keep putting off all of my niggly little health things which I've needed to see the doctor about which isn't great. Of course in the scheme of things the pandemic has to take priority but unfortunately all of our little things can become bigger in time and it's not a great scenario 😬

All in all, I've been reminded to perhaps be a bit more careful or at least as careful as I was and I'm thinking about possibly avoiding the one family member 🤷‍♀️  although this would cause uproar and be very difficult to enforce. Such is the nature of my f'ed up family....So I dunno. 

Im also wondering how no one I know has had it yet. Maybe a miracle? I don't know. Are we simply isolated enough in our bubble to be safe? (except for renogade family member)...

Am I speaking too soon? 😬

Edited by Nightjar

I'm an active person for the most part.  This whole year I've known 2 people that have had the virus.  One passed away and the other caught the virus from her.  For the most part it's the same story with everyone I know.  I don't even know anyone that has the virus they say.  Also I will say I have had very awful times with OCD as well at various times in my life.  This whole year absolutely no issues with it with me.:ermm:

I put on the mask before I get out of the car but as soon as I leave a store the thing comes off. And wearing glasses  and a mask just don't go together.  I have a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car and wash my hands when I get home.  I found that I touch my face more often wearing  a mask. 

Not so bad news - Saturday I woke up with a headache & sore throat. Sunday I started coughing, overnight stomach problem. No temperature yet. I take bropurion (aka wellburtin), so everything taste like nothing.  Not sure if having a covid test done would prove anything as every time I have been tested for the seasonal flu, it was false negative and had to return to the doctor for meds.

Wear a mask and stay safe.

There's been a couple of times I thought I might have had it.  I made up excuses to keep people away and hid here until I got better.  I would be more likely to tell someone I know I saw bigfoot or I saw a flying saucer land in the yard than tell them I might have the virus.

@nojoy

I hope you are doing OK and it's not the covid virus.. I'm sure there are millions of other viruses out there that it could be so it can't be certain. 

Remember the days when a sore throat was just that, a sore throat? 🙄

I don't even do well with normal colds as I'm claustrophobic. I almost wish I didn't know about this bloody virus. It's just another bloody thing to be anxious about isn't it. 

Hope you are ok. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I've been sneezing a lot these past couple of days and even that is freaking me out a bit 😬

Edited by Nightjar

I think tomorrow I'm going to  urgent care for covid testing. It may be all in my head but I don't feel like this is a cold.  Along with the headache & sore throat, I had a cough which is bad enough but when I start coughing  it makes my head hurt worse and my chest hurts. I have asthma so I am concerned that it will be triggered.

Or may be I have just become a hypochondriac.  

@nojoy sorry to hear you're feeling sick. Let us know when you have results from the test and even if it's just a cold we can hopefully distract, entertain and provide some compassion for you. 

I see my 85 year old mom once a week and although I take a lot of precautions, I haven't touched or hugged her since March. Sometimes she wishes I would but the stakes are too high for me and I couldn't bear it if I spread the virus to her before I even knew I was sick. 

It messes with our minds though.  It goes against everything we are as people.  I've had 2 people very close to me pass away this year.  They were both in their 80s as well and I never hugged them either and I felt afraid every time I was around them.  I felt like I was a disease or some poison to them every time I was around them.  That destroyed my last year with them.  Normal people need people but it's nothing for the psychopaths in charge of things.  They've never needed people so it's easy for them to say well just stay away from people.  This entire year is really going to leave lasting effects on everyone!

Hey all,  I did get tested and it was negative. It only confirmed that I am a hypochondriac.  That when I hear hoofbeats, I think zebras, not horses. That I should not trust myself to make medical diagnoses.  Or my ability to be rational or sane. I'm still coughing, congested, short of breath and feel tired. But I don't have covid or the seasonal flu and this doesn't feel like a cold. 

Stay well, stay safe

1 hour ago, sober4life said:

I've had 2 people very close to me pass away this year.  They were both in their 80s as well and I never hugged them either and I felt afraid every time I was around them.

This is an example of the very worst thing about this pandemic.  If at the very least we could know when it was past the point of physical contact mattering, we could give our loved one a last hug.  The not knowing combined with the lack of physical contact is devastating to anyone with a soul.

50 minutes ago, nojoy said:

Hey all,  I did get tested and it was negative. It only confirmed that I am a hypochondriac.

That is not necessarily a bad thing.  I read in an article that hypochondriacs are the people with the longest life span.  Yeah, they go to the doctor when it might be nothing, but they also go to the doctor when it is something.  So, they are the people who discover illnesses early enough to cure them.   Rock on!  

4 hours ago, nojoy said:

Hey all,  I did get tested and it was negative. It only confirmed that I am a hypochondriac.  That when I hear hoofbeats, I think zebras, not horses. That I should not trust myself to make medical diagnoses.  Or my ability to be rational or sane. I'm still coughing, congested, short of breath and feel tired. But I don't have covid or the seasonal flu and this doesn't feel like a cold. 

Stay well, stay safe

That's wonderful news!  I was very worried about you.  I'm so happy you're ok.❤️:hugs:

Edited by sober4life

16 hours ago, sober4life said:

That's wonderful news!  I was very worried about you.  I'm so happy you're ok.❤️:hugs:

@nojoyYes, it's good to hear you are doing well and haven't got the dreaded disease :hugs:

If it helps, I'm paranoid about it too. Not quite sure how I'm functioning, but I guess we do what we gotta do, huh? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Nightjar

Thanks everyone. I used to go to the doctor for every little ache or pain. Until last year when I lost faith in doctors. Now I try to diagnose  and treat myself except for this time.  I overthink things till I believe that what I think is true. Stay safe.

2 hours ago, Nightjar said:

If it helps, I'm paranoid about it too. Not quite sure how I'm functioning, but I guess we do what we gotta do, huh?

Yup, me too.  

My parents are in their 80s, and I am hyper-paranoid about accidentally transmitting it to them.  If that happened (especially if one/both of them died), I would totally melt down, never forgive myself, and ... (whatever).  

At the same time, short of being in a 'rubber room' at the 'funny farm', there is no choice but to 'deal with it' in whatever way possible.  <*sigh*>   How did anyone ever manage to live a life during the wars, natural disasters, etc. that have happened on this earth?   🙁