Jump to content

Do you have any plans for dealing with COVID-19


Epictetus

Recommended Posts

Coping with all the restrictions seems to be getting harder. I get outside everyday, walking, I'm keeping busy, talking to people, eating nutritious foods, reading and learning. Nevertheless, I'm having problems falling asleep and staying asleep. I feel sad and tired. 

There's no feeling of adventure in this, nothing to look forward to -- and I mean traveling someplace new. The joy of discovery seems to quashed by endless waiting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't ever expect this to be over.  That's the hardest part.  I don't think I've ever been told the truth about anything going on and I don't have any confidence that people have my best interest at heart through this.  People's lives are being destroyed and the monsters say yeah let's use this as a time to gain power over people!  I'm supposed to expect these are the people that will help me through this?  No these are the people you can't fall asleep around or they'll steal your wallet.  So there is no hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Atra said:

Coping with all the restrictions seems to be getting harder. I get outside everyday, walking, I'm keeping busy, talking to people, eating nutritious foods, reading and learning. Nevertheless, I'm having problems falling asleep and staying asleep. I feel sad and tired. 

There's no feeling of adventure in this, nothing to look forward to -- and I mean traveling someplace new. The joy of discovery seems to quashed by endless waiting. 

I know what you mean. Now I'm sorry I didn't travel more when I had the chance. It will have to stay a dream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My plans? Stay home as much as I can...but I know there'll be a time when it can't be avoided.

I already have anxiety and this is not helping. The worst part is that I'm absolutely convinced that, without a mask, I'm going to get corona within seconds of leaving my apartment. And even though people keep telling me that it doesn't work that way, they're not helping and now I may never be ready to leave even when/if it's over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sober4life said:

I've heard news that they are going to start going house to house giving out free tests.

Really!?!?  Is this just in your state, nationwide, or what?   

The first thought that occurred to me was an article I read about two months ago.  Somewhere in England someone in a lab coat (very official looking) was going house to house in a city offering Covid19 tests.  They would take a sample from you, your contact information, and payment for the test with the assurance of getting you the results within a couple of days.  Turned out it was a total scam to steal money.  They just disappeared with the money.  Never ceases to amaze me how low some 'people' can be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jkd_sd said:

Really!?!?  Is this just in your state, nationwide, or what?   

The first thought that occurred to me was an article I read about two months ago.  Somewhere in England someone in a lab coat (very official looking) was going house to house in a city offering Covid19 tests.  They would take a sample from you, your contact information, and payment for the test with the assurance of getting you the results within a couple of days.  Turned out it was a total scam to steal money.  They just disappeared with the money.  Never ceases to amaze me how low some 'people' can be.

It's in my state.  I saw it on the news.  Of course they say it's all voluntary but your name will certainly go on some refusal list I'm sure.  I said early on I will be on the news refusing to be tested.  I know that's whats going to happen.  This life will find a way to force me into a corner and try to force me to be tested and force me to take the vaccine.  What's the big deal people will say.  I say if you trust anyone on earth at this point you have lost your mind!  This country has become a real life House of Cards or a real life soap opera where the villains are always the same obvious villains that get away with things all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 months into sheltering in place. 4 is also the number of persons that I have seen regularly (in person) during these lonely months. Zero represents how much human touch I've given or received in that time. Affection deprived. 

While at work, I'm hearing from people who can no longer tolerate the isolation after 4 months. They can't phone their family, friends about their despair anymore as those who once supported them emotionally have nothing left to give. They wish they had moved in with family, friends or even shared housing with roommates. 

Ironically I also hear from members of families, couples, roommates who are sheltering together. They'll confide that they can no longer tolerate being so near one another, having lost the escapes and breaks that come naturally from going to work, school, the pub, sports. Arguments and fights are frequent, often over boundaries collapsing. 

I've observed several complaints which both the isolated and the trapped share. Financial concerns of course. Hating neighbors is almost as common, often it's music or tv at high volume, late at night or too early. Another common complaint concerns routines they'd established to cope with lockdown and how those no longer seem to help. Frustration and irritation have hit a new high, I believe, because many thought this would surely be over by now. It's heartbreaking to hear people scold themselves for having once been hopeful. 

Whether someone is wasting away from isolation or being driven mad by their "cell mates", they actually envy and begrudge one another's living situation. And that's some kind of dark humor. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Atra said:

4 months into sheltering in place. 4 is also the number of persons that I have seen regularly (in person) during these lonely months. Zero represents how much human touch I've given or received in that time. Affection deprived. 

While at work, I'm hearing from people who can no longer tolerate the isolation after 4 months. They can't phone their family, friends about their despair anymore as those who once supported them emotionally have nothing left to give. They wish they had moved in with family, friends or even shared housing with roommates. 

Ironically I also hear from members of families, couples, roommates who are sheltering together. They'll confide that they can no longer tolerate being so near one another, having lost the escapes and breaks that come naturally from going to work, school, the pub, sports. Arguments and fights are frequent, often over boundaries collapsing. 

I've observed several complaints which both the isolated and the trapped share. Financial concerns of course. Hating neighbors is almost as common, often it's music or tv at high volume, late at night or too early. Another common complaint concerns routines they'd established to cope with lockdown and how those no longer seem to help. Frustration and irritation have hit a new high, I believe, because many thought this would surely be over by now. It's heartbreaking to hear people scold themselves for having once been hopeful. 

Whether someone is wasting away from isolation or being driven mad by their "cell mates", they actually envy and begrudge one another's living situation. And that's some kind of dark humor. 

 

This is an excellent overview of how different people (at least in US and Canada) are coping with the situation. I feel like you should post it somewhere it will get more views.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kogent5 said:

It's heartbreaking to hear people scold themselves for having once been hopeful. 

Nice insight Atra, and thoughtful observations.   The physics of depression:  What doesn't go up, never comes down.

Bulgakov

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It makes me sick watching the news right now.  It's hard to have hope watching it.  It's about children going back to school.  One side needs them to go back to school for political reasons and the other side needs them to stay home for political reasons.  Both sides are pretending to be doing what's best for the kids.  Who in their right mind would want to be here in this world anymore?

Edited by sober4life
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wear a mask and made some hand sanitizer. I use Amazon grocery delivery and it's been wonderful. 

No stranger to social distancing, I don't interact with many people but my area is quite busy and somewhat 

blasé.  It's disheartening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kogent5 said:

This is an excellent overview of how different people (at least in US and Canada) are coping with the situation. I feel like you should post it somewhere it will get more views.

 

16 hours ago, Bulgakov said:

Nice insight Atra, and thoughtful observations.   The physics of depression:  What doesn't go up, never comes down.

Bulgakov

 

Thanks! Its gracious of both of you to share your feedback and knowing you think highly of it means a lot to me. @Kogent5 When I considered starting a thread with this post, I felt uncertain that it could inspire much conversation. Maybe that's beside the point, I dunno. Just felt certain that I needed to get it out of my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Atra said:

 

Thanks! Its gracious of both of you to share your feedback and knowing you think highly of it means a lot to me. @Kogent5 When I considered starting a thread with this post, I felt uncertain that it could inspire much conversation. Maybe that's beside the point, I dunno. Just felt certain that I needed to get it out of my head.

I was trying to think of sites where regular people can post articles...I know there are some but am not sure which ones. I've been really curious about the mental effects the quarantine is having, but most articles deal with the isolated or the non-isolated (not both), and don't highlight the similarities between the two situations. That's why I liked your write-up, actually helped me to keep perspective 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kogent5 said:

I was trying to think of sites where regular people can post articles...I know there are some but am not sure which ones.

Medium and The Mighty are the first to leap to mind, I began exploring them last month. Peer mental health and community mental health are where I feel I fit best, giving and receiving. 

The encouragement you've given has been very meaningful, thank you again for it. And so today I posted what I wrote at my workplace internally and then shared it with the executive committee. That feels right for now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Atra said:

Medium and The Mighty are the first to leap to mind, I began exploring them last month. Peer mental health and community mental health are where I feel I fit best, giving and receiving. 

The encouragement you've given has been very meaningful, thank you again for it. And so today I posted what I wrote at my workplace internally and then shared it with the executive committee. That feels right for now. 

High five! That's awesome, it would be good if HR people could read it 😁👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

 

Looking for answers in inscrutable times, I googled to see if Magic Eight Balls are still available.  I don't know if they are or were distributed outside the U.S.  It's a hard plastic black ball that looks like a large, billiard "8" ball, .  A small viewing port allows a seeker to watch curt answers to their questions float into view, from the depths of the ball.  It's still made by Mattel, fyi.

In the list of sites from my google, was the often seen, "People Also Ask" related questions-- quoted below except for one I made up.   I've looked at the "People Ask" from google searches before.  Amazing stuff sometimes. 

"People also ask

What do 8 balls say?

Are Magic 8 Balls accurate?

What are the Magic 8 Ball responses?

How big is a Magic 8 Ball?

What is the blue liquid in Magic 8 Balls?

If you drink Magic 8 Ball blue liquid, will you know all the answers?

How are Magic 8 Balls made?"

I'm ordering one.  The Magic Eight Ball never waltzes a question into a coma.  Sometimes it simply doesn't know.  At least it will say . . . Vote for Eight Ball.

Bulgakov

 

 

Edited by Bulgakov
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just download the horoscope and tarot app. It has over 20 different things to give you any answer you want to know. Yes no maybe etc. Also has a fortune cookie, 8 ball, ouji board, mood ring all on the same app. I check it daily since there's no telling what will happen next and there's no hope.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Michelle O'Bama has said she has what she termed "low-grade" depression.  She attributed her condition to Covidian turmoil, racism, politics, and the policies of the current White House.  I'm not editorializing, it's what she was saying.   And I don't doubt she is suffering, albeit at a low grade. 

I wonder if her depression is a different kind, or just a different amount?  It's the kind of phrase the media sometimes picks up though, "low-grade depression."

"How's your depression today?"

"Low grade."

"Well . . . that's good then."

  🌵 Bulgakov

 

Edited by Bulgakov
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...