Epictetus

Do you have any plans for dealing with COVID-19

I would be interested to know how other people here plan to respond [or not respond] to the threat of the COVID-19.

Since I am in the very high risk group for mortality, I have decided to take some steps:

1]  Since I know that many of those capable of spreading the illness will not and cannot act responsibly at all times [even I can't], I've decided to avoid public places as much as possible.

2]  Since I have N95 masks available when I purchased them for protection against the flu, I will use one each time I go out in public for any reason.  They are reusable so I will store the used mask for 14 days before using it again.

3]  Since hand sanitizer is getting scarce, I have purchased disposable gloves which I will use.

4]  There are products containing almost 98% pure ethyl alcohol available at liquor stores.  I may buy some of those if I am unable to get hand sanitizer.

5]  I will try to sign up for Walmart's food delivery service.  If I have to go out for supplies I will try to go to Walmart late at night or early in the morning when there are less customers there.

In this evolving situation, estimates of the mortality rate for the COVID-2 have been estimated at between 3.4% and 1% at the low end.  Dr. Anthony Fauci, one expert in virology has said that even if the mortality rate trends down to 1%, it would still be about 10 times as deadly as the flu  [and fly mortality is low partly because people are vaccinated for it or have treatments available].

If anyone wants to share their thoughts and feelings and suggestions, I welcome any and all.

I'm just going to live my life the same as I always would.  The thing that bothers me the most about this virus is how worried it's making you @EpictetusI see how worried you are by your posts.  I want this virus to go away and I want you to have some peace.:icon12:

You are so very, very kind, Sober4life. 

Since I am in recovery from depression, I don't usually have that many problems to share with others.  But I am over 65 years old and in poor health and the morality rate for this illness is quite high for my age group.

I have been in a place of absolute misery when all I wanted to do was perish from this life.  Now that I am in recovery,  it is ironic that this new virus has come along. Ah well . . . 

I've read a lot about 'worry.'  The experts seem to agree that it helps to distinguish productive from unproductive worry.  And they say that productive worry is worry that leads to courses of action or plans of action which seem to bind anxiety.  We'll see about that! 

And of course a lot of these self-help techniques are not effective in cases of medical depression or anxiety or in cases of intractable depression and anxiety and so on.

In any case, I am babbling on and on.  [I had too much caffeine today lol].  Thank you so much for your kindness to me and to everyone here on the Forums, Sober4Life.

I am in an area which has no reported cases so far and is unlikely to get many cases (thank heavens!).  That, combined with the fact that my usual activities are low risk (no crowds and few trips to large public areas), means I will be continuing on the same as usual.  The only two differences will be that I will check the news for any updates and I will stock up a little more on a few important items (prescriptions, food, and cat food/litter).  Gotta take care of the kitties!  Actually, about the same as bad weather preparations.

@Epictetus, you do seem to be rather worried.  It is absolutely fine to take some 'better safe than sorry' measures, but please try to not obsess about it.  You know what the media is like these days.  Always declaring that the sky is falling in order to get higher ratings.  Do what you think is necessary, then just breathe!  I wish you peace.  :icon12:  ☮️

@Epictetus and @sober4life,

I am worried as well.

I have plane tickets for a week up North in Pa. to visit my youngest daughter and two grandsons, plus my Son and son-in-law and

the thought of going right at Easter has me worried.  :dontgetit:  This is a ticket from last year that I cancelled.  SW airlines saves tickets for you if you cancel them, up to a year.

otherwise I could never have afforded to go this year!  Now I do not want to go. Ugh.  Besides, I really do not want to leave my poodles!  LOL.

I can understand Epi's concerns as I am older than he is.:cry:

Take it easy everyone and if you are not my age, or a baby...do not worry!!!!

:hearts:

-Lindsay

Thank you so much for your answer, Lindsay.

What I needed most was someone to just say that I was not alone with this, without judgement.  And you gave me this. 

I hope both of us will weather this biological storm.   It is good to know that I am not the only senior citizen here on the Forums.  And I think your advice to those who are younger is just perfect.

Thanks again and for all you do for all of us!

4 hours ago, Lindsay said:

I have plane tickets for a week up North in Pa. to visit my youngest daughter and two grandsons, plus my Son and son-in-law and

the thought of going right at Easter has me worried.  :dontgetit:  This is a ticket from last year that I cancelled.  SW airlines saves tickets for you if you cancel them, up to a year.

otherwise I could never have afforded to go this year!  Now I do not want to go. Ugh. 

Governments the world over are advising people to don't make unnecessary travel. After all, you are in a plane cramped with other people for hours, not to mention airport crowds.

There's no chance I'm cancelling my summer vacation plans.  Of course people will make me sick.  They have every time I've seen them so far but I'm not worried about the virus.

Am doing anything honestly I just don’t care 😒if it happens just let it i also feel like there isn’t anything that could stop it anyways but like I said I don’t care 😒🤷‍♀️But I do understand what your saying 

17 hours ago, Epictetus said:

Thank you so much for your answer, Lindsay.

What I needed most was someone to just say that I was not alone with this, without judgement.  And you gave me this. 

I hope both of us will weather this biological storm.   It is good to know that I am not the only senior citizen here on the Forums.  And I think your advice to those who are younger is just perfect.

Thanks again and for all you do for all of us!

Epi, 

Thank you so much.  I don't know what I would do without your wonderful wise advice either.  I am way older than you.  I may not look it or act it, but I am!  I'm a baby boomer and proud of it. 

I thank you so much for your words and I do think we have more senior citizens on DF than we realize. Yay!  :Coopyahoo:Not counting our our mahvelous other age groups either!  They are great!

As soon as I find a volunteer Designer/Technician to help us, we should be back to being the strong MH Website for our members.  We will be just FINE!!!!

Love to you and to all,

🙏

~Lindsay

I'm a bit worried because I get panicky when I'm ill. But I'm not really taking more precautions than I usually would against catching a virus. I usually wash my hands when I come home as a precautionary measure against catching something but that's about it. I'm pretty isolated so in a way I'm somewhat protected.  Sometimes being a loner has it's uses! 

Loners shall inherit the earth maybe?! 😂

1 hour ago, Devlinkyla said:

Am doing anything honestly I just don’t care 😒if it happens just let it i also feel like there isn’t anything that could stop it anyways but like I said I don’t care 😒🤷‍♀️But I do understand what your saying 

I think I know what you mean. I know if I do get it, the suffering will be very painful but sad to say, if it happens just let it. I don’t mind if it wants to infect me and take me away from this world, it’s one way out of this crazed place. I’m way too healthy to fall sick sadly. No offence to those avoiding the virus I’m just putting my nonsense thoughts out here..

Hang in there! While I carry on my day as usual with some extra precaution, e.g. washing hands and not sharing food, you are definitely not alone! My dad is worried due to his age, even though he is relatively healthy considering his age. 

Just using disinfectant and washing hands properly - basically increased hygiene practices. No real apocalyptic plans, but I am concerned for my relatives.

Despite my tendonitis handicap I offer my two pence on the matter of covid19:

“The Coronavirus Is Much Worse Than You Think:

How COVID-19 is infecting our minds, not our lungs.”

An article on the website “psychology today” written by Samuel Paul Veissiere,  ph.D. 

I quote:

“..Much more relevant to the terrible threat caused by our Pathogen Overlords, you can prepare to fight the yearly Corona invasions to come by resisting your own neuroticism, your own prejudice, and your own irrationality.”

I urge anyone worrying about COVID-19 to read the article. 

Posted (edited)

I was just watching Pat Robertson's news report.  He had a medical expert comment, and the lady suggested that persons in the high risk group practice "social isolation".  That's funny.  Many of us have trained for this over our lives.  Go Hermits!

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

Here's a resource for anybody (US or territories) in distress concerning COVID-2 looking for emotional support and counseling. 

SAMSHA's Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. 

24x7, multilingual, confidential.

I'm getting more concerned now. There have been cases nearby and I'm getting a bit panicky when I sneeze or feel a tingle in my throat. I've noticed people aren't shaking hands. I met an estate agent yesterday and he barely came near me, never mind shaking my hand. That's a first! 😉 I have no signs of a virus BTW. 

Folks in the street and store are looking at each other like potential viral terrorists 🙄 

There have been times when I've sneezed or had a sore throat through this and yes I panick but my thoughts are I hope nobody hears me sneeze or thinks I might be sick so it's back to a time where I'm worried people might think I'm sick.  What will they do to me.  What a life this has been.☹️

I have decided to cut back on volunteering, possibly stop altogether. It is pretty much the one thing that has made me realize my life isn't over yet. I am devastated but have to think of Dad. My resentment is building up rapidly - I am supposed to decrease time outside but it's okay if he goes out...

Posted (edited)

I'm not flying anywhere or going on a cruise (the latter is something I'd never do anyway). Other than that, I'm trying to live my life as well as I can. Because of my degenerating lung tissue, I'm at very high risk of mortality but I'm not letting the thought get to me (too much 🙂 ).

If I had my way, I'd be living in a cabin out in the woods far away from anyone. But being a wage slave, that isn't an option.

Edited by JD4010

Posted (edited)

What will they do when we have a situation like we had with the cruise ship but on a plane.  That's when this will get really ridiculous.  They'll be afraid to even have it land and they'll have planes refueling it to keep it in the air.  The reason why this worries me is because this is a world that already quarantines people when they are mentally ill or we are old and the world is tired of putting up with us.  What's going to happen now when they think there is a real threat?

Edited by sober4life

I just can not believe all this is caused by someone eating a animal. 

And all those people in these high up positions, who are overpaid, can't even do there jobs to take of this or make it less evident that we are all going to get sick or die.