Sign in to follow this  
TrytoFly

Lithium Side Effects: Numerous and Crazy!

I started Lithium a few months ago and it was a nightmare. I had slurred speech, loss of appetite, trembling hands and diarrhea. I also had some drooling too. I explained these symptoms to my Pdoc and he lowered my dose. I went online later and read that these were symptoms of Lithium toxicity and that it is easy to have a toxic dosage or overdose on Lithium because everyone reacts so differently to it that different doses are effective or lead to toxicity in those for whom it is prescribed. Ultimately after two more downward adjustments in dosage the symptoms went away entirely. I guess the Lithium is working because I don’t have any manic symptoms at the moment. I post this to see if others have had similar experiences and to provide testimony in case others are in a bad place with symptoms for Lithium: they are treatable just tell your pdoc!

Hi TrytoFly,

So very sorry this happened to you.   I had mild symptoms when I was on Lithium but I was on an extremely low dose of that medication.  I hope you will find the optimum dose for you which is both therapeutic and has the least side effects. 

Although I did not have a bad experience with Lithium, I have had experience with scary and very troubling medication side effects, so my heart goes out to you!

E, thanks so much for your kind reply. Thankfully I am doing much better with the Lithium now that we have the dosage at a place that is appropriate.

I was surprised at how many side effects I experienced on the med

at first. Hopefully if others on Lithium read my posting they will know more what to do about symptoms if they experience them.

Hugs!