Hey, I just joined this forum.

I'm Mike (short for Michael), 21 years old, from Lebanon (the country). I was diagnosed with depression during my first year of high school, when my family deemed my behavior to have become dangerous enough to pay attention to. I was taken to a therapist, but eventually left - as he would spend most of our sessions texting his other patients on Whatsapp, rather than listening to me. He offered to send me to someone who could prescribe me Anti-depressants - but having seen what they'd done to my mother, I refused. My family didn't look for another therapist, as they were all very expensive, and they believed I could heal from depression, if I just tried.

And so, I ended up having to deal with my issues on my own. There is little to no help provided for people who struggle with depression, anxiety, or the like, where I live. It was bound to happen.

To my understanding, my depression was caused by a variety of things. One of the biggest ones being isolation. I grew up to have a drastically different mindset than most people in my country, which meant that I would never meet anyone I could (even remotely) get along with. I often struggle to communicate with others, even on a surface level, unless they live abroad (I find I get along best with Brits, and Canadians, among others). Unfortunately, people from other countries often don't want to have anything to do with me, because of my ethnicity - even online. So, I'm left with no one to interact with.

As you can imagine, I haven't gotten better.
So, I'm here, now. I am hoping I can be there for other people, if they need my help, or my support.

Thank you for reading.
I apologize for any mistakes.

Thank you for sharing your story. 

I can imagine how isolation and loneliness can affect your mood (been there and still am) 

The good news is that you are not alone and I certainly believe that this dreadful disease can be fought. 

I will be cheering you on your journey, I wish you and your mom the best. 

Welcome new friend to our forum family.

Our goal is to not leave anyone behind in their depression cave.

There is never a need for anyone to be lost and trapped within oneself.

Please make yourself at home here and check out some other posts for support and insights.

My motto: DESPAIR not/REPAIR a lot.

Oscar

Each of us here has a unique and different past yet we all share something that even some of our closest family members and friends don't really understand. 

You are welcome here @Dioxeon, we are a "found family" which you can choose to belong to, if you want. Our community is larger and better with your experiences and learning added to it. So I am glad you found us. Hi!

Hi Dioxeon and welcome!

Please excuse the late reply to your post but I was on a train and away from internet service for many days.  It is only today that I saw your post.   It is very nice to meet you and I am looking forward to reading anything you post here!     -- Epictetus

47 minutes ago, Dioxeon said:

Thank you, BeyondWeary. 

Thankfully this forum does a good job of reminding me I'm not alone. 

My friend, you are certainly not alone. Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for here. Thats what i love about this group...no one ever judges.  We're all here to help each other. We've heard it all 😁 good luck and we hope to hear from you!