BrainRot

New to FLU dude.

I saw a doctor for the first time in 19 years. I was so depressed and checked out that I answered honestly to the questionaire about self harm that the was given to me before seeing the doctor. 

Big mistake. My doctor called crisis planning. I spent most of the time on the phone answering suicide questions and scheduling a meeting with a counselor. I know she was doing her job but I felt betrayed.

Anyway, the doctor put me on 10mg prozac. Today is day 3. I'm really hoping this helps but I'm assuming it won't. My depression is worse than anyone I know and 10mg probably won't even make a dent. 
Time will tell.

Welcome Mr. BrainRot.

I hope you will find a supportive home here.

We all have unique perspectives on depression so please check out some other posts.

We are all here to listen and help each other as best we can.

Oscar

I also want to welcome you here, BrainRot.  It is nice to meet you.

Depression is so awful and I am so sorry it is afflicting you.  I really hope the Prozac helps you.  My life was saved by antidepressants.  It can take 4-6 weeks for medications like Prozac to show full effect.  Please do not give up. 

Hopefully these Forums will also be of use to you.  We all here are people who have been touched by depression and/or other difficulties.  Sometimes only people who have been through or who are going through similar things can really understand how awful depression is. 

Please lean on us here for encouragement, understanding and solace during this difficult time.  That is why we are here.

I have been on fluoxetine for years and have worked with my doc to rebalance the meds more than once.  Ten mg is a low dose, but since you were not on it at all before, you will probably notice a difference.  Fluoxetine has a long half-life (about 3.5 days), and takes a while to get up to full therapeutic strength.  So please be patient.  Good luck!

I think the reason she started me so low was because I had an allergic reaction about 20 years ago to Wellbutrin (Bupropion) with just one pill (itchy hands and leg paralysis) and Prozac is in the same family.

I am currently on day 4. I am nervous about side effects (like everyone else) and just looking for a place to go and converse about my experience so I'm glad I found this website.

I've been depressed since I was 12 and can't imagine life being any better but I just can't give up.

Of course, everyone responds differently to medication, but fluoxetine is considered a very 'clean' drug -- few side effects and not likely to react with other drugs.  Hopefully, you will have that experience with it, too.   I understand about being nervous about side effects.  That is completely normal.  

BTW -- The one thing I noticed was more vivid dreams.  Not bad dreams, just more and 'goofier'.  Actually, I find them funny and proof that the drug is doing something.

Life can certainly get better than being sucked down into depression.  Unfortunately, it can take time, effort, and trial and error.  Hang tough!  And come here for support.  Reading through some of the threads on this site may be helpful.

Day 5. I've noticed a few times that I've felt euphoric but it only lasts for 15 minutes or so then it goes away. Does this medication work in waves like that or can I later expect a more consistent feeling as it builds up in my system?

No changes to my sex drive yet. 😞

Edited by BrainRot

I'm on my second month since starting flu, no euphoria for me but I do remember early days that the veil of depression was lifted briefly.,maybe its all relative and may seem like euphoria?

tt

Today is day 10. The euphoria seems to be low grade now and rare.

I've only cried twice this past week and thoughts of suicide went from every day to just twice in 10 days. Much improvement. 

-=Anxiety up. Depression down.=-

I'm assuming my anxiety will eventually come back down given that it hasn't even been two weeks yet. 

I find myself saying words wrong or saying the wrong word that I meant to say. Seems to be a common side effect. 

thanks for the update @BrainRot and glad things are a little better for you.  it's gonna help other people starting on prozac for sure

Today I feel trapped in my own skin. A bit of rage, a bit of irritability, a bit of anxiety, a bit of depression. 

Wondering if I should ask my doctor for a standard dose of 20mg like everyone else gets  or if I should wait it out. 

Day 11.

Yes, believe 20mg is the goto dose which I'm on. Into the second month now and still mood is variable and not predictable thought the day.

Yes, ask your doc, mine told me it takes 2 months to have full effect and to see him again then.

Day 12. Suicidal thoughts are back. 

I was hoping that my sex drive would also go down but it's still as strong as ever. 

Glad you're reaching out here.  Speaking personally,  prozac has been and continues to be a rollercoaster ride for me,  there have been times I've felt OK ish but others not,  .I'm hoping eventually the ok ish times can increase so that I can start to build on that. I've been around long enough to know that that'll probably come even though I can't see how right now.

I empathise with what you are going through and would encourage you to reach out and ask for help if those feelings get too strong.  Often,  when the mind is ill,  it cant heal itself without help from others.We are fellow suffeers on this forum so cannot give aa trained or proffesional help,  but can understand and maybe others too can give helpful words.

keep on posting and remember,  its early days for you on prozac and things should improve gradually.

7 hours ago, twotone said:

Glad you're reaching out here.  Speaking personally,  prozac has been and continues to be a rollercoaster ride for me,  there have been times I've felt OK ish but others not,  .I'm hoping eventually the ok ish times can increase so that I can start to build on that. I've been around long enough to know that that'll probably come even though I can't see how right now.

I empathise with what you are going through and would encourage you to reach out and ask for help if those feelings get too strong.  Often,  when the mind is ill,  it cant heal itself without help from others.We are fellow suffeers on this forum so cannot give aa trained or proffesional help,  but can understand and maybe others too can give helpful words.

keep on posting and remember,  its early days for you on prozac and things should improve gradually.

Thanks twotone. I reached out to my doctor online yesterday and told them about the lingering depression and anxienty. I suggested that I increase my dosage from 10 to 20. They agreed. So starting today I am on 20mg. I expect the brain fog and the typical symptoms again but I'll give it at least a month before I really decide if I want to keep going. 

Day 14. Still no change to my sex drive which I really need to start going down if I'm going to get better.

A lot of stress going on lately. 

Day 16. 
Yesterday was a good day. Today, so far so good. It really helps that it’s the weekend and I don’t have to work and stress out. 

Day 19. I'm still getting a body high from this stuff. Makes me feel good most of the time.  Over the weekend I felt amazing. Even yesterday something bad happened and I still felt good.

Last night however I was very irritable. Mostly just wanted to be left alone. I feel that I may have a food allergy or intolerance that I need to address. Going to do an elimination diet soon to see what it is. 

Posted (edited)

Last night I was super irritable. This morning I am fine.

My left inner thigh (next to my knee) has been twitching all last night and today. 

Edited by BrainRot

Posted (edited)

I would think that crying is a emotional release which is a positive sign for you.  I guess you've gone through an awful lot lately and even though prozac is heping you to block the 'bad stuff, in my experience connecting emotionally to some of the consequences of the 'bad stuff' is on the path to healing.  It's a hard  but neccesary path. 

On a side note,  my doc. upped my dose to 40mg the other day and I'm getting a bit of twitching of me feet/ legs at night time.  not as much as when i was on Paroxatine some time ago.  That's why I changed and as @jkd_sd said it's supposed to be a cleaner drug with fewer side effects.

Edited by twotone
add bit at end

Day 24

I've spent the last three days in a deep depression. Thoughts of suicide occupied my mind all day yesterday. 

I am finding my family to be very irritating and can't stand to be around them. I just need some quiet time by myself but won't get any since the schools are shut down now. 

So sorry about your suffering.  Rollercoaster ride for me too.  I wish you some relief soon.  Be sure to try to be kind to yourself in this difficult time.

Something that helps me some especially during extreme  difficult times/ moments is to try 'coming to my senses'.  Sounds a bit spacey but open your eyes and ears and observe.  Look at your hands and acknowledge or concentrate on your breath. That's the first step in taking me away from the bad mental chatter. 

Bbe sure to look after yourself during this time

8 hours ago, twotone said:

So sorry about your suffering.  Rollercoaster ride for me too.  I wish you some relief soon.  Be sure to try to be kind to yourself in this difficult time.

Something that helps me some especially during extreme  difficult times/ moments is to try 'coming to my senses'.  Sounds a bit spacey but open your eyes and ears and observe.  Look at your hands and acknowledge or concentrate on your breath. That's the first step in taking me away from the bad mental chatter. 

Bbe sure to look after yourself during this time

Thank you twotone. Today is a much easier day. I'm not sure what happened. I will try breathing exercises.