I read so many stories and struggles about those who become hyper-aware when they have anxiety or panic attacks.  I have historically had the opposite problem. 

'Tuning in' to what is around me, being aware of myself and my surroundings, is like pulling teeth for me.  It is horribly difficult.  Most of the time I feel disconnected from myself, just as a natural state of being.  Felt this way most of my life. 

Anxiety and panic make it nearly impossible for me to tune in to what is around me.  It's like anxiety and panic make me tune out what's around me even more.....  makes no sense.

Anyone else have this problem?  What do you do to cope, or to bring yourself back to your environment?

:gathering:

Yep,  I can relate to that. If stress is high I have the same 'feeling',  of dissociation?  Not only feeling disconnected with what/  who is around me but not taking notice of whats around especially.  Especially noticable at high anxiety times or during depression/  recovery.

Not an awful lot helps me when I'm in this state,  except maybe get home quickly.  Otherwise,  if it's milder some grounding helps.  Deep breaths,  inhale/  exhale or mindfulness, thinking about your breathing.

tt

I had an experience kinda like you describe.  It seemed like I was becoming hyper-aware of the 'fog'.  As though my mind was deliberately focusing away from who and what was around me, because what was around me was stressful and threatening.  This might just be another way of saying the same thing -- glass half empty/full.  Anyway, it really does not help deal with the situation.  Sorry.   🙁

Just wanted to say thank you to #20YearsandCounting for sharing this and especially for describing this so well.  that's been really helpful for me to recognise this feeling and try to mitigate

Relieved to find out I'm not the only one, twotone.  Thank you!  Mindfulness meditation is probably one of the hardest things I've ever tried.  Even for a minute or two at a time.  Before my heel pain acted up, I would go walking. But I had to take my tunes with me, ironically enough to help me stay somewhat grounded in my environment. Otherwise I go completely inside my head and wind up nearly walking into parked cars, LOL. 

I've experienced both - hypervigilance or dissociation from anxiety attacks. The numbness makes more sense to me as I've come to learn that it doesn't actually represent a lack of feelings but rather a response to being overwhelmed by too many. Trips a circuit breaker. 

The sensory assault of hyper-awareness is confusing. It is amygdala running wild and to me it feels like no one around me will respect boundaries and even inanimate objects are dangerous. 

In either case, I use a variety of grounding techniques some are gentle others extreme. Dialing it down just from a 10 to an 8 allows for some skills to begin to work.