twotone

metaphors to tackle anxiety?

Hi,  I'm at the very start of pickup up the pieces.  I'd like to start by investigating my anxiety which I feel is a good place to start. I saw a video recently about using metaphors to help unlock repetative damaging thought patterns. 

Any advice or general guidance on how to practise to get me started if any of you have experience?

tt

Hi Twotone,

Anxiety can be such a brutal, energy draining and demoralizing thing.

What you write of and ask about is very interesting.  And important.  So I hope you get many helpful responses.

I don't have much experience with using metaphors in the way you mentioned but I know others here do, and so I will get out of the way and let others post their experiences and insights.  Hopefully I will learn something useful too.

I wish you only the best in your quest to dealing with anxiety. 

Hey twotone!!

Well I probably won't be of any help since I've never heard of this metaphors concept, but I'm interested and hopefully you'll get a lot of good responses!

Best

Hope I’m not speaking out of turn here, but I must say that @Oscar K is a real expert on the subject.  You may want to reach out to him.  It’ll be very illuminating.

Adam

Metaphors are my favorite subject.

I would be interested in that video you mentioned.

Personally I invoke a cave metaphor for depression.

Anxiety I think can be compared to "stage fright".

Metaphors only exist when we imagine, pretend and make believe them into existence.

When we invoke a metaphor we insist one thing IS something else when obviously it isn't.

We  are playing a trick on ourselves.

A very valuable trick.

One  trick I find helpful is to drop metaphorical boulders on intrusive thoughts and useless emotional baggage.

Anyway maybe this helps a little.

I'm always here to talk about metaphors or as I like to call them: MEDaphors.

Oscar 

13 minutes ago, Oscar K said:

Metaphors are my favorite subject.

I would be interested in that video you mentioned.

Personally I invoke a cave metaphor for depression.

Anxiety I think can be compared to "stage fright".

Metaphors only exist when we imagine, pretend and make believe them into existence.

When we invoke a metaphor we insist one thing IS something else when obviously it isn't.

We  are playing a trick on ourselves.

A very valuable trick.

One  trick I find helpful is to drop metaphorical boulders on intrusive thoughts and useless emotional baggage.

Anyway maybe this helps a little.

I'm always here to talk about metaphors or as I like to call them: MEDaphors.

Oscar 

does changing the feeling fit in here or is it something different? what i mean, for instance, thinking of stage fright as something exciting as opposed to something scary (anxiety causing).

And can you explain the value of the metaphor a little more? Like thinking about a cave for depression for instance....how does that help??

Actors will sometimes say they need the energy from stage fright to really perform.

Sounds counterintuitive but many actors affirm this.

The cave metaphor for me is helpful because of the many implications.

In nature caves are formed by erosion, stress and upheaval.

(Sound familiar?)

A cave is a great place for temporary shelter but definitely not for long term residence.

The ENTRANCE to a cave also serves as the EXIT.

Going too deep into a cave and getting lost or trapped will require help in getting out.

A cave can be useful for storage of harmful emotional baggage.

Trying to figure out how a cave was formed DOESN'T change the cave.

(Endless therapy anyone?)

Trying to fill up a cave will create a hole or depression somewhere else.

Personally I must anchor myself outside my deep, dark, dangerous depression abyss.

Hopefully this can help.

Oscar

Hi Oscar and thank you,  you've helped me greatly already.  I think metaphors for medication first came to my conciousness from your posts here..  The 'stage fright' analogy for anxiety really is a good fit for me.  It's a feeling I'm currently experiencing as I try to re connect with the outside world.  Simple things become difficult in this condition. Sure its linked to anxiety and not some cognative impairment.

Its difficult to post links here but if you google "The wisdom of anxiety, Sheryl Paul and Barry McDonagh" should take you there.  If not,  let me know.  Sheryl belives dreams talk to us in metaphors so a powerful link to your subconcious perhaps?

Still mulling over metaphors and caves and how best they can help?  Couple or so of questions,  if I may:  With your cave,  how do you keep stuff down there without popping up into your thoughts or subconcious? (million dollar question?).  how is the cave built?

The metaphor you mention about stage fright has helped me form this feeling or event as a thing which I havent before.  Am I missing any other benefits of metaphors?

kind regads tt

Thank you for your response and interest.

I have learned that depression is a natural condition/ formation/resource.

The question about "stuff" popping up is always extremely challenging.

I'm constantly conjuring bold boulders to force that "stuff" back down in my vast, dark cavern.

There is so much responsibility we have in trying to be more or less FUNctional.

"Old Man Depression" and "Old Maid Anxiety" play the most awful tricks on our psyches.

My approach is to try to play some clever tricks right back.

Clever and powerful metaphors or as I like to call them "CLEVERFUL MEDaphors" can counteract the debilitating effects of depression and anxiety .

Maybe this is some food for thought.

Anyway I am always happy to respond and discuss metaphors.

Oscar

Plenty to ponder, thank you. Still a lot to learn about all this.

I guess with issues there's a time and place to address, ie a set worry time and not letting it build and be all encompassing. 

I will take on board metaphors in a bid to try to identify my demons and try to diffuse their effectiveness.

tt

ps your metaphors are creative, do you make them up?

Thanks for the response.

I have been working on my metaphorical approach for problems for many years.

I have made up the cave metaphor along with the bold boulders and a few more.

Anyone can be clever and creative.

Sometimes I think I have a tool box of powerful metaphors and actually better yet I have a giant hardware store full of  tools and gadgets to employ to strategize my daily struggle for a balanced existence.

Remember those "demons" are all yours and all metaphorical .

They can be consigned to that metaphorical depression cave.

Anyway, I am here along with everyone else in this forum to help solve problems.

My motto: DESPAIR not/REPAIR a lot.

Oscar

.. looking to repair by understanding. So here goes .. A metophor is when we replace something with something else,  either to convey meaning or scale.  (eg a monster storm aproaching the west coast or conversley a storm in a teacup) It can convey meaning to something we either don't know or understand by relating it to something we do.  I can relate to how powerful a tool this can be as the mind is infinitely mysterious below the surface.

I believe currently that 'old maid anxiety' is my main issue with regard to functioning socially. Ive started a programme to try to reduce the ol' girl by diffusing and acceptance (dare response) This encourages use of metaphors when a anxious thought pops into your head to use humour to diffuse the thought.  

Just wondering your cave  metaphor can help me with old maid Anxiety who's temperature is currently v. high in social situations causing me problems with normal functioning. The 'old maid'  analogy is really good at diffusing anxious thoughts (sort of but early days yet!).  Some bad concequences of anxiety I think can be confined to cave (at least when I'm feeling a little better) maybe to look at and tackle later if needed.  Anxiety impacts my daily functioning currently so I dont see a way of effectivley caving that?

best tt.

ps hey anxiousE,  hope something is useful in this thread for you.  

You are absolutely right about the mind being infinitely mysterious below the surface.

Metaphorical tools can help.

I like my "Clever Lever Forever" metaphorical tool to unlock or maybe lock-up some of that infinite mystery.

Anxiety is a tough customer.

Perhaps we need to "disguise" the anxiety with a courageous "face lift'.

After all "Disguise the Limit".

I really don't know if this is any help or not but let's keep posting and experimenting with clever tricks.

Oscar