How do You Feel Right Now? #12

Lindsay

Just my ramblings on depression and how it is getting better recognition. I cut this from a news report that shows the reality of depression growing quite a bit. Sadly it took a world pandemic to do it... I think that we will see a very signigicant increase in attention to care around depression. It may not help or solve your problems today but it just might get some serious focus on it. Maybe the next generation won't have to spend their lives dealing with it with everyone not taking them seriously.

A study published in JAMA looked at depression rates before and during the pandemic. They found depression rates had more than tripled. Around 8.5 percent of the general population reported symptoms of clinical depression before the pandemic, and that number rose to 27.8 percent during the pandemic.

A CDC study from December found 42 percent of Americans were experiencing symptoms of anxiety or depression. Only 11 percent of Americans reported experiencing these symptoms prior to the pandemic.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 11:56 AM, Bulgakov said:

Homo sapiens tend to think in black and white for lots of reasons--it can help solve problems, or not. 

Prince Harry's alleged attack on the "idea" of free speech as bonkers, is a good example.  My impression of what Harry said was that the way free speech is being defined and redefined, questioned in the courts, and under attack by large corporate types like Facebook and Twitter; that's what he called "bonkers".

That's my take.  I don't know what's in his heart.  I don't think that Harry meant to say that free speech was a bullshi* idea, which is what most folks will  react to, with media leading the way.   Brits have their own history of working toward freedom of expression.  And, Harry may be a hothouse Royal, but he's not stupid enough to say the first amendment, itself,  is bonkers.  The media, and popular fealty to media by us, are major obstacles to critical thinking.  No one needs to agree with me, just try to think for yourself before somebody does it for you.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

My opinion is people want every voice they hear to be a voice that has the same beliefs they have.  They don't even want him to be able to speak freely about the subject of freedom of speech if his opinion is different than their opinion.  We need to have the strength to live and let live.  I gave up on trying to figure out people a long time ago.  Who cares what celebrities think.  Who knows maybe his goal was to get everyone to talk about him and we are.

Just now, sober4life said:

Who knows maybe his goal was to get everyone to talk about him and we are.

LOL, yeah, I forgot that possibility.  Maybe he's strengthening his brand by getting his face out there.   I would rather think he just came up with a not smart statement, allowing politics and media to feed.  I just need to be a bit more cynical maybe.🤠

Bulgakov

1 hour ago, Another Statistic said:

I'm old school and always liked John Mill's concept of the marketplace of ideas. If what someone says is reasonable and has the ring of truth, people will embrace it. If what comes out of your mouth is bunk, the public will reject it. No idea deserves censorship as bad ideas will just naturally die on the vine.

Addendum: Weird, every time I include a hyperlink in my post it becomes "hidden". Not sure what that is about!

Hi!  Please read the TOS.  Links are not permitted on the Boards.  Start your own Blog and you can add a link as long as it meets DF Standards. 😊

Lindsay

Bit of GI distress has made me afraid to go out, so I kept around the house, as I do more and more lately. Ran out of stamps for a bill that needs paid immediately. Ran into transportation difficulties for tomorrow's dental appointment. It wasn't a terribly sad day, but it was one where I realize I am fiercely becoming a homebody. 

With that said, my mother called me on the phone from the midwest, saying my family out there (extended) missed me, and saying that I should really consider visiting them. I feel like I mostly get along with them, and even admire some of them, but with my health taking such a bad hit these past two years or so, and even more so with COVID making it so exercise has been kind of dangerous, getting on an airplane with a wheelchair seems like an utter nightmare. I have gotten to be morbidly obese and weak. And the world isn't wheelchair accessible.

I like to think I'm not burning out on extended family. I like to think it's just life in general.

8 hours ago, Another Statistic said:

Did you get a chance to sleep at all? Wired and tired sucks.

I did finally get a decent sleep, thank you. I managed to meditate before bed and then sleep came. 

I did probably the most important meditation of my life last night. I was getting stressed to the point where I was panicking about panicking which is not a road I want to go down again. 

I didn't think I would be able to meditate l felt so highly strung but I sat there listening and breathing and panicking a bit and the calmness came. Amazing really. It reminded me how important it is for me to do that and I vowed to do it every day. Don't know if I'll stick to that or not but it certainly pulled me back from the brink of a nervous breakdown yesterday. 

Which means I'm still not far enough away from that nervous breakdown and I do need to keep at it :mad1:

On 5/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, womanofthelight said:

Ashamed of myself because I haven't achieved most of the things I set out to when I was young.

Life hurts.

I also failed to accomplish many things in my life But people prevented me so I stopped blaming myself.  I am happy to see you posting again.  

19 hours ago, Mikayla said:

I feel like I'm not good enough.

I am sorry you are going through a difficult time.    You have helped me many times over the years you have been posting.    Hugs.

2 hours ago, Nightjar said:

I did finally get a decent sleep, thank you. I managed to meditate before bed and then sleep came. 

I did probably the most important meditation of my life last night. I was getting stressed to the point where I was panicking about panicking which is not a road I want to go down again. 

I didn't think I would be able to meditate l felt so highly strung but I sat there listening and breathing and panicking a bit and the calmness came. Amazing really. It reminded me how important it is for me to do that and I vowed to do it every day. Don't know if I'll stick to that or not but it certainly pulled me back from the brink of a nervous breakdown yesterday. 

Which means I'm still not far enough away from that nervous breakdown and I do need to keep at it :mad1:

I am happy you were able to meditate and get some decent sleep.  

7 hours ago, duck said:

I am sorry you are going through a difficult time.    You have helped me many times over the years you have been posting.    Hugs.

Oh, really?😀 That´s nice.

1 hour ago, ladysmurf said:

life will never get better...i've lost all hope at this point......

Keep going. Try to find some light. Even if its really small and it seems impossibly far off keep going. 

Today's been okay for me. I felt pretty bad the last two days and I just wanted to stay in bed but I played with my dog this morning and that has kept me going today. 

57 minutes ago, AndrewH said:

Keep going. Try to find some light. Even if its really small and it seems impossibly far off keep going. 

Very motivational words🙂

On 5/19/2021 at 6:13 AM, In2deep4me said:

A study published in JAMA looked at depression rates before and during the pandemic. They found depression rates had more than tripled. Around 8.5 percent of the general population reported symptoms of clinical depression before the pandemic, and that number rose to 27.8 percent during the pandemic.

But was the pandemic the real cause, or did it uncover problems that were already there? Isolation due to the pandemic might just have accelerated and strengthened the underlying conditions.

There have also been tragic stories of su****es committed by kids isolated from their friends and classmates. It seems to me that the underlying problems would be there with or without isolation. Instead of blaming the lockdowns, as some have, parents and teachers should really be aware of what's going on in their kids' and students' lives. They need to be vigilant and look for the signs constantly, whether or not there's any external crisis going on.

I went out for a good push today around the neighborhood. Dropped off a bill that was urgent. Got a few groceries. That was good, because as much as some of us are homebodies at heart, our abodes can really turn into prisons quickly. 

I did have a ride issue that prevented me from attending my dental appointment, though, and they actually asked me to wait to reschedule, which struck me as weird, and kind of the last straw. That's been bumming me out a bit.