So Overrated

Mark250

On 2/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, SqueezeWax said:

Shania Twain.

I don't dislike her, but I can't understand why she was so critically adored back in her prime. I can understand her commercial success--to an extent--but I can't fathom why critics fawned over her. That Come On Over is the bestselling album by a female artist of all time, and was so monstrously popular on a global scale, is mind blowing. The majority of that album is terrible. Up! is even worse. One of the worst pop albums ever, and it received raves on its release. 

I agree. 

She's no big deal

Majoring in fashion design. Every time I told anyone who wasn't a fellow art school student I was a fashion design major, they would gasp and congratulate me and say what an exciting experience I must be having. 90% of what you learn is how to sew and make patterns. You could learn to do all the same things at a workshop at JoAnn Fabrics, or could teach yourself from a book. I think of myself as having a degree in sewing.

I honestly didn't take full advantage of the experience, though. I never went to a school fashion show, I never volunteered for events, I never even did an internship which all has turned out to be a huge mistake because all those things matter more than getting an A in a class. 

• 1 month later...

Taylor Swift. She can't sing that well, all her songs sound vaguely like ripoffs of other songs, all her lyrics are cliches. She's the Shania Twain of her generation. Critics love her, she's the only artist in this day and age that can actually sell albums outside of Adele. I don't get it.

Many of the so called influencers the media are always banging on about, why would I be interested in the daily life of someone whose sole reason for existence seems to be to show off his latest bag or holiday?

Roseanne Barr's standup comedy. I was shocked when I finally got around to watching her old standup appearances, and saw how lame they were. In her books, she describes her material as being edgy and confrontational and completely off the wall. It's all corny battle of the sexes and fat jokes. She's also complained about how she hated the first scripts written for Roseanne, and that the writer's didn't 'get' her. It would make sense if they were terrible because they were likely based off her standup.

I know someone that's just like her in real life exactly like that character.  I like making people laugh but let's face it just standing there and having no choice but to make a whole room laugh right now sounds like a nightmare that would make most people run for the hills.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:29 PM, watalife said:

The American Dream

Having children

I refer to the American Dream as "wage and debt slavery" because that's what it is. I stupidly bought a new car because I was sick of my old one being unreliable. Now I'm into the bank for too much money again.

As far as kids go, I only had one who is now 25. It was a colossal amount of work raising her, but it was rewarding in retrospect. She started as an orphaned baby who couldn't hold her head up at nine months old to becoming a legally blind, medal-winning figure skater. She's also now in grad school. Yeah, I'm proud of her. 🙂

I wish I would have adopted a child when there was still hope.  It's over though.  I wish I would have done a lot of things in this life.  At this point it's become I wish I could tell you what happened today.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

* Pandas and Dolphins. Cute but limelight-hogging Instagram wannabes. They’ve had it too good for too long. Yay for the bilby and the echidna and the snow leopard and … try spread the love 

* Wedding Traditions. Queen Victoria died so let’s all move on. Except the white dress - I will always like that

Avocados. Baby-shit green hamburger fat in a vinyl cover.

* American Military. For the love of god, just leave other people alone for once. And 0 for how many now!? 

Agree entirely with above about the Beatles. Still emotionally damaged from the Wiggles but even they were better.