Social Media and Depression

RAMZY

The rapid growth of technology and ever increasing usage of internet in this modern world is fastly becoming a major source of depression. The proper use of internet and the social media platforms to your advantage is good but when it exceeds the boundaries it can become harmful. Today people tend to interact and connect to each other via their screens rather than in person. Hence this creates a gap of emotional connection between them and when needed for support in difficult times they find no one to be there for them. Also some people get demoralizing thoughts and get depressed after looking at others achieving better in their careers and having a more comfort life then them.

What are your views about this link between social media and depression ?

12 minutes ago, watalife said:

If if weren't for the internet I really would be alone. But I do hate it also. If you aren't married with kids you have to fill your time with something. The cell phone is the greatest/worst thing created. 

Exactly. Like any other thing, Social media platforms also has its pros and cons. It's just how the individual user tackles these patforms.

12 hours ago, RAMZY said:

The rapid growth of technology and ever increasing usage of internet in this modern world is fastly becoming a major source of depression. The proper use of internet and the social media platforms to your advantage is good but when it exceeds the boundaries it can become harmful. Today people tend to interact and connect to each other via their screens rather than in person. Hence this creates a gap of emotional connection between them and when needed for support in difficult times they find no one to be there for them. Also some people get demoralizing thoughts and get depressed after looking at others achieving better in their careers and having a more comfort life then them.

What are your views about this link between social media and depression ?

It is all about how you use it. I do not follow so called "influencers" and (with the exception of places like DF) I tend to "like" mostly people that I know or have known IRL. A good friend of mine went totally off Facebook a while back and challenged me to do the same. I went off for a few weeks, and it was a horribly depressing few weeks. I realized that we were getting different things from the platform. He was looking to make new connections and found better luck on places like discord and second life. I was looking to keep in touch with people I did not get the chance to see often or at all. In my normal life, I see and interact with mostly my co-workers, a few close friends (like him) and my immediate family. The platform allowed me to interact with my extended family, friends from a church I no longer go to and even people like my Grandparents former exchange student who lives in Austrilia (wow, bad spelling). For him it felt isolating and for me it was connecting. 

In short, if social media makes you feel worse - give it a pass. If it makes you feel better, don't.

I agree but am not sure how to put it into words.  Social media and the internet seems to be sorta "fake life on steroids".  (You will need to 'read between the lines' regarding that phrase.  I was trying for the feeling, not an exact description.)

Short and simple: my kids don't know what a computer is, they once did, but certainly no longer. Everything is via the phone.

Of course this gets me discouraged as much as the next guy yet I also know it is their choice to discover the social aspects of their lives. I've tried and it always sounds like this : When I was a kid . . . so for me I think it is best if I stop trying to influence them in ways that actually no longer exist. Being a good father is all I can do. They know when to check the oil. What more could I ask for?

I think it's a lifesaver for some people. It i my window to the outside world. I'm disabled, so my mobility is bad, plus people don't really treat me well in person because of the disability, whereas I can hide certain things with my online personas, depending on my trust and needs. 

That said, the internet is addictive. And I am addicted. But, most of my family is on it, and that's important, because everything else I have in life is fleeting.

This is a good conversation, though.

Remember the days when you could use custom HTML with Myspace? 

By the way, avoid Android devices like the plague. They are very sluggish. I'm using a tablet that has Android, and Google operates Android. Google are notorious for spying on your activities online. I'm not able to easily install any apps either. The external keyboard I attached also has very hard, sensitive keys. What takes me seconds on a laptop takes minutes with this piece of trash.

There's an issue where it gets stuck at the 'waiting for 'download' part. When I did a search on Google, so many people have been complaining about the same sort of issues, wondering why this is still ongoing. You're meant to be able to rectify this by clearing the Google Play Store cache, but when I tried that, clicking the 'cache' button wouldn't work. I'm not impressed with Android at all. 

Also, I use mobile data from my phone with USB tethering, yet the speed is pretty decent. Some sites cannot be accessed unless I enable a VPN, though, because O2 blocks adult sites. Don't use free browser based anonymity sites. They can contain viruses and these annoying ads cover the screen.

Stay away from it, as far as you can. You will end up spending your time on social media and not working on whatever it is (meds/emotions/etc) you need to be working on. And it's mostly all negative as well, imo.

That being said, there are good parts of the internet like this forum. It's always nice to be able to have a place at anytime to share your thoughts, you can't do that any place else. Plus, you get to see/hear all of the other people that are going through hell as well, makes you realize  you are not alone.

Edited by james555

I don't know from Twitter and Instagram.  I do know about Facebook, and have to say that your interest or lack thereof may well have to do with your expectations and contributions.  I have a tiny posse of 43 "friends," and FB has really changed in the ways it allows you to include or eliminate anyone from any and/or every post you make.  My friends are on the serious side, but there are others who really stand out with energy unlike any others'.  They're usually the quirky, funny, irreverant types whose humor I appreciate.

Anyway, there are ways to tweak FB to make it whatever you need it to be.