anxiousE

Fingernail picking and hair twirling

So, lately I've been noticing this has become more and more frequent. Pretty much anytime I'm not busy with my hands, I'm picking at my nails or twirling my hair. I even twirl my hair while cooking. Gross! Considering I often pull out hair when I do it.  

But I am more annoyed with the nails. So since I was a little girl I'd watch my Mom and her nail care habits. She'd trim and file and then use her thumb to smooth over the edge to make sure they were smooth. Well, I do this smoothing thing obsessively now. And more often than not, my nails aren't perfectly smooth. So the picking starts. Of course picking one nail with another nail makes both nails crooked. So back and forth I go until I either pick one smooth or get so fed up, I try the clippers and file...but then the smoothing thing comes back and it cycles all over.

Been trying to grow out my nails, but as soon as they grow weak, I start picking. It's very satisfying to pick a whole edge off as if my other finger was a clipper. Still, this is becoming really annoying and my thumb pads are getting sore because of this irresistible habit. I don't know what to do!

Anyone else suffer this?

I used to be obsessive about my nails until I developed an ingrown toenail.  That was terrible so for a while it went from one extreme to the other where I was afraid to cut nails at all.  I do the hair twirling thing a lot or scratching my head for no real reason other than anxiety.