Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of

Floor2017

Mental health issues are nothing to be ashamed of, we didn’t do anything wrong.  
It can be treated with medication, therapy, counseling and many self help therapy.  

Don’t be afraid to try things like religion, spirituality and other methods to help you to cope with mental health.  

It breaks my heart to see people that are afraid to come forth and to get the necessary help that they need to be able to go forth with their life.  

Please look for alternative ways to treat your mental illness.  Be blessed my friends and fellow sufferers like me.

25 minutes ago, Floor2017 said:

It can be treated with medication, therapy, counseling and many self help therapy.  

Don’t be afraid to try things like religion, spirituality and other methods to help you to cope with mental health.  

It breaks my heart to see people that are afraid to come forth and to get the necessary help that they need to be able to go forth with their life.  

Please look for alternative ways to treat your mental illness.  Be blessed my friends and fellow sufferers like me.

An excellent post, my friend. Ours is kind of an "invisible illness" that doesn't get the attention that some other illnesses receive. I will say that I've seen some billboards along the highways advertising suicide hotlines and the like. That is encouraging.

1 hour ago, Floor2017 said:

Absolutly! We do not look at someone who suffers from asthma and say, "Just change your attitude and you will be able to breathe." Yet all to often, we mental health suffers hear something like this, even from ourselves. I tell myself, "It is your fault that you are more depressed today - you should not have stayed up that late," and "If you could just get up off your butt and get some exercise - you would not be so depressed." Let yourself off the hook - try new things - you are not alone.

although i completely agree with this post now, for a long long time i played the ashamed game until someone i had known for a short time explained to me of her experiences with similar feelings to mine,  and helped me to open up and stop hiding emotions, so great post floor 2017

Thanks for this affirmation @Floor2017.

I am not my illness there's a "me" as well. Sometimes, some people will see the symptoms and mistake them for me. I understand. We all harbor preconceptions and it is difficult to overcome prejudice. 

People can react to persons with mental illness with anger, hurt, fear or dismissal when they fail to see us as sick people. And we can fail to be seen as sick people when we're frightened by the consequences of disclosing our illness.

51 minutes ago, Atra said:

Thanks for this affirmation @Floor2017.

I am not my illness there's a "me" as well. Sometimes, some people will see the symptoms and mistake them for me. I understand. We all harbor preconceptions and it is difficult to overcome prejudice. 

People can react to persons with mental illness with anger, hurt, fear or dismissal when they fail to see us as sick people. And we can fail to be seen as sick people when we're frightened by the consequences of disclosing our illness.

That’s so true my friend but we also can refuse to accept their negative responses and show them that we are much better people than they are by keeping our heads up and smiling instead of letting it get the best of us 

21 hours ago, Floor2017 said:

That’s so true my friend but we also can refuse to accept their negative responses and show them that we are much better people than they are by keeping our heads up and smiling instead of letting it get the best of us 

I agree. While I'm in a recovery phase from my illnesses, it's a priority for me to advocate for myself and for my peers - for any and all persons who identify as living with these illnesses. Yeah, I'm functional and I'm also pissed off at the lack of education about mental health worldwide. 

Educating neurotypicals can mean speaking to audiences or conversations with individuals to demystify the diagnoses or abolish myths and stigmas associated with it. I also remind people that it is important to know about mental health as even if they're aren't ill, they very likely know somebody who is (one in five).

On 1/27/2020 at 8:11 PM, Floor2017 said:

Very true my friend...

There is nothing to be ashamed of or be afraid of any mental illness. The way you face your illness and fight to recover from it shows how brave you are and it proves your will power to come out of difficult situations. One should try every possible treatment in the process of fighting mental illness be it regular meds or the alternate remedies.

Best wishes for all...

• 4 months later...