Nightjar

Weight loss thread 2020

Well I need to lose 10 pounds by this afternoon.  It should work out right?  Family will be coming by later today.  It would be nice if there was any trust there at all and I could just be myself but those days are gone.

my progress is going alot slower than i wanted, but my dr told me not to worry about it, i had dropped 70lbs in 2 years, fell off the wagon more times than i can count, set the wagon on fire a couple of times and had to start over, its a hell of a roller coaster but im 70lbs lighter, 35 more lbs to go

1 hour ago, bbwolf said:

my progress is going alot slower than i wanted, but my dr told me not to worry about it, i had dropped 70lbs in 2 years, fell off the wagon more times than i can count, set the wagon on fire a couple of times and had to start over, its a hell of a roller coaster but im 70lbs lighter, 35 more lbs to go

Sobriety and losing weight 2 of the hardest things on earth to do.  It's a war that you're winning in my opinion.  Don't give up!  I'm proud of you!

6 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

:laugh:

Well I'm sitting here waiting for family to leave.  I keep telling myself I'm on vacation for a week as soon as they leave.  That's keeping me from snapping.

My gal found a new workout program she is in love with. It has a lot of variation so it keeps her interest. I'm doing the strength, hiit, tabata, and yoga portions with her, not the dance. She has a "resculpt yourself" workout guide with a checklist so 5 days/week she is doing it. Also got her on a fat burner that seriously kicks things up. This will be a slow 1lb at a time drop. Her goal is 5-10lbs over 12 weeks that is sutainable and makes lean muscle. Not just dropping pounds. She's 4 weeks in and seeing small results on the scale. So it appears we are on track and she's enjoying it. I like this group too. It's also an on demand program on the tube so we can workout out whenever we want and pick any exercise anytime.

Me I usually eat like a pig.  Most meals turn into binges and then I don't eat again until the scale goes down to where I want it.  I guess I eat like a snake.

Carb Cycling

So I've been researching this as a weight loss plan for my gal. We already eat pretty clean most of the time. Yeah we still have pizza and drink liquor, but not much else. We log our meals and keep our numbers in calories and macros.

So carb cycling is an interesting concept and there is a lot of data to backup its value. We're going to make a modified plan as their numbers for Low and High carb days are a bit over the top. Especially with someone who has been tested pre-diabetic in years past. We now have her numbers for that in really good place. So we don't want to screw it up.

Have any of you tried it and what did you do?

I've been keeping myself close to my goal weight.  Life is getting to that point where I have to get down to my goal weight today and I have to pack a bag and prepare to leave this place at any given moment.  I knew this time would come.  That time is now.  I have to get myself to 100% today and prepare to leave.

I’m doing great, almost gained 20lbs thanks to Covid19. :buttrock:

Really though, I’ve got to start either getting some daily exercise in or eat healthier/less given how little I’m burning each day. Any tips for someone who has little room inside their place and is keeping quarantined? 

On 6/1/2020 at 9:29 AM, In2deep4me said:

My gal found a new workout program she is in love with. It has a lot of variation so it keeps her interest. I'm doing the strength, hiit, tabata, and yoga portions with her, not the dance. She has a "resculpt yourself" workout guide with a checklist so 5 days/week she is doing it. Also got her on a fat burner that seriously kicks things up. This will be a slow 1lb at a time drop. Her goal is 5-10lbs over 12 weeks that is sutainable and makes lean muscle. Not just dropping pounds. She's 4 weeks in and seeing small results on the scale. So it appears we are on track and she's enjoying it. I like this group too. It's also an on demand program on the tube so we can workout out whenever we want and pick any exercise anytime.

(Sorry for the double post) This is fantastic to hear about, thanks for sharing. Kudos to both of you on keeping such a strong exercise regiment going. I’ve tried just hiit alone and man was it brutal. Can’t imagine doing the other workouts that you’re doing too, good luck with it!

On 6/28/2020 at 4:45 AM, Almha said:

(Sorry for the double post) This is fantastic to hear about, thanks for sharing. Kudos to both of you on keeping such a strong exercise regiment going. I’ve tried just hiit alone and man was it brutal. Can’t imagine doing the other workouts that you’re doing too, good luck with it!

We've been working out together for quite some time. Earlier on we used to workout seperate because of the types of workouts we liked. Then we decided to compromise and find something that we can do together, mostly... So indoor workouts we do about 75% together. Outdoor we do the same almost always. We workout at least 5 days/week.

That's why we didn't workout together as much in the beinning. I was doing extreme hiit trying to ki11 myself, literally. Since then I've backed off it because it didn't work as an ongoing regiment. You need weights, cardio, stretching and you need rest.

Along with that you need a balanced diet. No crazy diets. Manage it with a simple formula and log it. You can learn a lot with some simple plans and tools.

So you're in a small space and need some workouts. Well I just happen to have a few ideas... 😉  You can Google them also. Start with "prison cell workouts" and "confined space training". Basically if you have the space to rollout a yoga mat. You're good. You must have a TV or laptop that you can get a mat infront of. There are tons of free workouts on youtube and many other sites. So no cost. Start out easy and aim for 3 days with 30 min sessions. 1 day dedicated to stretching (yoga, pilates, etc.). That's 2 hours for a week. Very doable. Walk on days that are off days. No marathon, just get steps. Good luck!

@In2deep4me Holy! Thank you so much for your in-depth advice, really appreciate it. Compromising and being able to work out with another can help a ton with keeping motivated, plus a bit of friendly competitiveness is always fun. 

I’m for sure going to check out prison cell routine in the morning (never heard of it before but it makes sense), can’t get a much smaller area than that! Seriously the little tidbit of a schedule you wrote is going to help so much. I’m pretty clueless with how long to go for and how best to balance rest vs workout. Thank you again! 

@Almha - You're welcome.

Earlier you posted about the 20 lbs of weight and either exercise or diet. Sorry dear, it's both. Once again. No crash diet or starvation stuff. No insanity workouts. Start slow and careful, with both.

So we covered exercise, but to clarify.  4 days a week are workout. 3 days are cardio and 1 day is yoga. 3 days are off days, (go walk a bit). 30 minutes for each session. So 2 hours total. Do this for a month. Don't worry about doing weight or strength training yet. Just get into the game first. Off days doing some walking and very light stretching if you're sore. Before each cardio workout do a 5 minute warmup stretch. Reduces injury, pain, and post workout soreness. To start try "steady state cardio", not HIIT. Basically we just want you to start "glistening" as you gals call it.

So for diet. I think you know the difference between eating junk and not. So cleaner eating. Less processed food. Eat more real/fresh fruit and veggies. If you're not vegan then more white meat. Lots of chicken and turkey to get your protein up. Some red meat is also fine. So you get carbs (and fiber) with your fruits and veggies. You get proteins with the meat (and small amount of fat). Some avocado, walnuts, and other fats that are cleaner. Literally Google "clean fats". You can have a few unhealthy meals or what they call cheat meals. I don't like that term because i don't think it is cheating. I eat pizza once a week. It has carbs, fats, and protein. All of which I need. I just can't eat it every day or it will be a mess. You're a gal so I'll assume you like chocolate ( I have never met one that didn't 🙂 ). Yes it's ok, in small quantities. My gal eats a few peices with wine in the evening. It's not all bad until you suck down the whole bar...

So for supplements. There are a ton and the health market is insane with stuff and much of it is without real medical fact or proof. So how much of that is needed to start is minimal. A basic multivitamin can't hurt. I use whey protein a lot. Mix with water, coconut water, almond milk, etc. Gives you a nice protein boost with other extras and is very clean. If you don't have money for the extras don't worry. Skip it for now.

If you own a scale, give it to your neighbor, and tell them not to return it for a month! That's right. The scale is not the indicator of if this is working to get started. You may actually gain at first. The basic rule is weigh in once a week, same time, same day, before breakfast, on empty stomach. No more weigh ins. That scale won't make you lose weight. It can make you quit trying because it isn't telling you what you want to hear fast enough.

All of the exercises you find on youtube are free so no cost there. Pick one, anyone, as long as it makes you move, and "glisten", preferably a bunch! If it's really basic it'll get boring fast. We don't care to get started. It's only a month or so to get you into the rhythm. Let me know what happens and some details about the workouts and diet.

Carb Cycling - Oh what fun it is.

So I talked about it a bit earlier and over in the Exercise thread. We've got a month in now and let me tell you... It ain't easy kids. When you're used to a diet with lots of carbs then going to some standard carb cycle formulas is downright painful. I've modified ours to be a bit more realistic. So to give you an example, not exact numbers. I'm 6' and 160lbs. My default calorie intake should be around 2000 calories. In this system that is my High carb day number. On my Low card day the number is about 1800 calories. So that 200 calories is really no big deal. Here is where the pain comes in. On the High carb day my fat number drops to about 60 grams and my carb number goes up to 200. On the Low carb day my fat number goes up to 80 grams and carbs drops to 70 grams. I do a High-Low-Low cycle. That 200 grams of carbs on that day takes effort as it needs to be clean. So lots of fruits and bread or pasta stuff. I'm actually getting carb spikes now on the High days and tired on the Low days. The trick is getting your body to learn to burn Fat on your Low days and Carbs only on your High days. This isn't a Keto diet per say, but it approaches it in several aspects. After living off 150 grams of carbs/day on average, the High day wasn't bad until after I got through several cycles of Low days. Then the carbs hit you. 

We will do this Carb Cycling for 2 more months and reevaluate after 90 days. 

So why would I do this to myself you may ask? Well, because my partners body has refused to shed some pounds (read fat) that is driving her crazy. We've tried a number of techniques that worked in the past. We've exercised regularly for years. Cleaned up our diet over that time quite a bit. She menopause. This is an evil little monster that attacks women and makes them, err, let's go with somewhat difficult to live with, yeah, that's my safe answer. 😉  Well we have actually caused a change. Her body is still being stubborn and resisting but it's starting to adapt. Got her to drop a couple of pounds and we're moving in the right direction. It's caused us to cut out a bunch of things that were not helping her at this point. This is much better than some crash diet that will just yo-yo the weight back on. But it takes real effort.

Note: A number of people on here and several places I've read are all taking about their "Covid Fat" and want to loose 10 or 20 pounds. I get it. And you're right, it would be a good thing. You don't need a gym membership, tons of equipment, special dietitian, or any expensive stuff. You need you, a few basic exercise bits, and some diet changes. If you can start with real basics you can do it. I wouldn't even try Carb Cycling unless you are fine with regular exercise and eat clean already. Just eat better and move more and add some simple cardio and resistance training. All of which you can find free on the internet. I can list several places you can try but most I think you already know.

Would like to lose 20, but would settle for losing 10.   I was able to go off Abilify for 5 months and lost a few pounds.  However, with covid and my anxiety had to go back on it so I gained back those pounds.  I am taking 2 walks a day now.  I just need to not snack after dinner.  I crave salty snacks in the evening when watching tv.

Posted (edited)

I've been staying at my goal weight.  Of course I changed to a differerent goal weight so my goal is to stay at whatever weight I weigh in that day for the rest of that day.

Edited by sober4life

I lost some 6 kg (~13 pounds) since I made a post here in February.
I no longer snort like a pug when tying my shoes. I guess that's a win.

We're about 6 weeks into carb cycling. It's really tough to get down to the right amount of carbs/fats on the low days. The high days get tricky consuming so much carbs while managing fats. Funny thing is trying to hit the total carloies for hte day is tricky because of the carb/fat balancing act. Protein is easy as long as you drink shakes to augment the food.

She's dropped a couple of pounds and so have I. It works slowly but it appears we are moving in the right direction. We'll continue for another 6 weeks then adjust.

The nice thing is we eat less sugary stuff and cleaning up our diet a bit more.

Update:

Carb Cycling experiment.

We are now intrenched in this diet and finding a good balance. Will be make modifications again this week to up our calories but manage carbs. So it appears if you go keto you calculate net carbs. Meaning you take fiber and eriythrotol and subtract them as your body doesn't actually process them like regular carbs. Fiber just passes through. Eriythrotol acts like sugar without the glycemic index hit (stuff diabetics can't handle). We've also changed all our snacks to a set of L-M-H carb groups depending on what we need. We're eating really clean with little junk food. We allow chocolate. Since taking chocolate away from women is a way to make them really grumpy, I'm all in with this idea... Lol...

She's lost 3-4 pounds and I've lost about 5 pounds. The good news is also that we have increased muscle percentage by a few points. So we are burning fats at a decent pace without going full on keto. Which we don't want to do.

A couple more pounds and we start cycling the total calories up since we feel hungry still and we're making progress. The goal is not to feel hungry a lot and keep weight level. If our weight increases then it needs to be mostly in muscle.

This program will work. So the idea of being too old, male/female, menopause, depression, etc doesn't stop it. To me that is good news for many of us here. Depression should not stop you from getting a handle on your weight. Even if the med you take tends to make you put on weight. You can adjust what you eat and exercise to get it around it. It beats seats on the couch and giving up folks, really, it does.

I've been going into training the last few days.  Life demands that I get into shape as soon as possible right now for many reasons.  I need to be at my best and ready for anything right now.  Let's hope this old body can handle this and if not I don't want to be here anyway.  Either way I'm good.

No one expects you to drop 12lbs in a day. You're not nuts, you're just being nutty right now... Lol....

Don't worry about being perfect, be perfectly you, and everyone else can deal with it, or not.

Well I'm fully aware I have an eating disorder but there's not a chance I'll let anyone know about it.  The food pyramid 3 meals a day yeah I bet all the stars on tv eat 3 meals a day.  There really is no mentally healthy way to remain physically healthy in my experience.