Nightjar

Weight loss thread 2020

I'll start us off then. I'm at my goal that I set myself for Xmas so I'm off to a good start.

My next goal is to lose 5 pounds by this time next month. I'm aiming for 5 pounds loss by the 20th Feb.

Good luck everybody and hope that everyone will come along with me for the coming months. 

Edited by Nightjar

I'm 5 pounds over the weight I want to be right now.  It's hard because I have to lose it for myself.  I wanted to attract someone out there but the world always sees the same thing in me.  The predators see an easy mark.  Everyone sees the same thing in me and they take advantage of me.  It's been the story my whole life.  Not for one second do I believe I will find love in this world so I have to do it for myself.  

I agree there are a lot of bastards out there. But that doesn't apply to everyone and I don't think you need to rule out dating forever. I think it's true that the more we want it the more we push it away. Or the more we need it maybe.

Yes, lose weight for you. Make yourself happy. More than likely when you aren't so bothered about having a relationship and you are just happy all by yourself, someone will come along. Isn't that the way it works?  It's not really to do with weight but it if makes you feel better to shape up, why not?  

I've made some progress. I haven't been weighing myself every day or even every week because I don't want to become obsessed. As long as I keep to my intermittent fasting and work out when I have the energy--it'll be a lot easier to go to the gym once my husband can walk again--, I think I'll make steady progress. Even 5 pounds a month would get me to my goal by my next birthday. 

What I'm going to commit to this year is to be healthier mentally about my weight.  The other people in this thread have a much better way of thinking about this issue.  The truth is this issue for me has created a madness a prison of my own making.  I gave up drinking for another rusty cage.  I have to get myself to a place of peace for once in my life.

17 minutes ago, sober4life said:

What I'm going to commit to this year is to be healthier mentally about my weight.  The other people in this thread have a much better way of thinking about this issue.  The truth is this issue for me has created a madness a prison of my own making.  I gave up drinking for another rusty cage.  I have to get myself to a place of peace for once in my life.

I totally understand and the way you are going about this is awesome and I need to do the same

Well if three of the four readings I got on the scale today (all right after the other, three on the same scale and one on the other) are to be trusted, I'm almost made at goal. If the highest one is to be trusted, I'm still nearly there. I owe it all to intermittent fasting I suppose, so this is encouragement to keep it up and to continue making healthier eating choices (like NOT eating all the junk my husband just ordered that I can smell right now).

Edited by evalynn

On 2/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, APFSDS said:

Is it possible to lose 5 lbs(2kg) a month?

It's what's been achievable for me. It may not be for everybody. You may find losing more or losing less per month to be the best way forward for you. It really depends on so many different factors and so I wouldn't say that 'one size fits all'.

Personally, I was setting myself impossible standards before (impossible for me) and never really getting anywhere. But now I allow myself to go up and down a bit, try to eat well the majority of the time and have a couple of fast days every month. It seems to be working well for me despite having my depressed episodes.

The best thing to do is experiment and see what works for you. 

A few of us find posting here helpful because it helps us to focus on our goals and it enables us be held accountable to others.

Would you like to try with us? 

Edited by Nightjar

Wow guys! I saw a new starting figure on the scales today. I've gone down into another stone category.

Really chuffed with that. I'm really plodding along with this and it's a slow burn but it's coming down slowly, slowly. There is actually a straight line when I have a top on now, no bumps. Yes!

I'm sure you've all heard this before but the less carbs I eat, the more I lose.

The days I cut down on carbs like bread and/or pasta and the fast days are the days I see a difference. 

It's exciting 🎆

I don't think I'm going to make the five pound loss by the 20th. I'll be happy with three pounds loss though. I have a nice pair of black trousers that I think should do nicely when I lose these three. I'm planning to wear them for an event I have on the 20th. 

#Total weight loss: 13 pounds 

:smilingteeth:

Of course it's a con.  The day people started realizing how unhealthy sugar is was the day they came up with different names to call sugar.  It has all kinds of names that people don't recognize so they can use those names instead on the nutrition information.

I was just reading this article about sugar addiction two days ago. They said that even using sugar substitutes is bad, because it keeps you addicted to the sweet taste. You have to gradually use less and less sugar where you can until you're used to using a small amount. Of course, that's hard because there's sugar in almost everything. Ketchup, for example, contains sugar to keep us addicted to it.

They also talked about the psychological component. If you grew up eating dessert after dinner every night, you associate sugar with family and happiness and all that. And I know chocolate in particular triggers chemicals in the brain that mimic the feeling of being in love. There was this church in colonial Mexico where the congregation used to drink hot chocolate during service. The priest banned it, and the congregation tried to have him killed!  

Found the chocolate article! Here's the quote:

"By the late 1600's, the grand ladies of the land had become so fond of this frothy beverage that they were accustomed to having it served to them frequently, even in church. As justification for their enjoyment, they referred to its medicinal use, and claimed it prevented fainting and "weakness" during the long ceremonies. One bishop considered it a blatant abuse, and forbad the practice. Drinking chocolate in church obviously broke the fast laws. (Not to mention that so much pleasure must be pagan!) The ladies, in retaliation, simply took themselves and their entourage to another church. A rumor holds that the offending clergyman later died of a cup of poisoned chocolate. The whole affair became a fearful scandal. Eventually, in 1662, Pope Alexander VII put a final solution to the affair when he declared " Liquidum non frangit jejunum." [Liquids (including chocolate) do not break the fast.] It is likely that this decision was based on the fact that chocolate, like so many other herbs, was considered to have medicinal qualities."

(The whole article is really interesting. It's called "When the Church Said 'No' To Chocolate" by Ann Ball). 

Edited by evalynn

Sugar substitutes don't really help.  They trick the mind for a short while but make the mind angry when it discovers it's not getting real sugar and could easily send us on a sugar binge.  The people that tried to make us think sugar substitutes cause cancer are big businesses that make tons of money from sugar.  Sugar has probably shortened more lives and caused more deaths than anything else on this planet including cigarettes.