Depression/recreational drug use

mariesmith

I started an AD 20mg on Jan 2nd for depression/anxiety. I have taken the same AD previously, and it worked well. I ended up taking myself off of it without consulting my doctor which did not end up well.

When I quit taking my AD, I engaged in very risky behavior and used a lot of recreational drugs (mainly psychedelics).

I have been on my AD for almost a month now, and I find it isn't working how it did the first time I took it. I'm wondering if I need to give it a little more time, or, if through all of my psychedelic use I altered my brain chemistry to the point where this AD no longer works for me.

Does anyone have experience using psychedelics or other recreational drugs that can offer advice on starting/finding the right AD? Or any advice in general?

Thank you in advance.

I had the experience of stopping my AD because I felt I was doing well. But all my symptoms came back and going back on the same AD didn't work. So I have needed to try others to find the right ones which took some time. Hope things work out for you and you find the right meds. I think 8 weeks is good to see if the AD is going to help.

BW

Edited by BeyondWeary

It is possible that the psychedelics have interfered with your brain's regulation of certain neurotransmitters, the same ones the AD is also meant to help regulate. But it is also possible that the AD simply quit working, which does happen and nobody is quite sure why. 

So, your thoughts about "afterwards, therefore because of" might or might not be fact but it's unknowable and you're probably better off setting aside these thoughts. Giving the AD more time to work sounds wise before discussing with your doc about changing the dose or augmenting with another med .

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that I was on Zoloft & took 525mcg of LSD-virtually nothing happened except disappointment. Even more recently, I take a quarter oz of mushrooms & nothing. So if SSRI's can do that, it seems that they both are competing for the same transmitters or receptors or something.

The takeaway really is this: I never did any psychedelics before I started on ADs 20 some years ago & my first one worked, stopped working and now for over 20 years, I have been put on cocktail after cocktail, every once in awhile thinking maybe the first one that worked will eventually work again. Nothing since has really worked enough to make me feel like I really want to be alive. I started taking the psychedelics in a desperate attempt to just get some kind of insight or just to feel different for a while. A break I sorely need. I do not believe your use of psychedelics was a factor. This seems to be the way it goes for a lot of people no matter what they do if they have treatment resistant depression.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:14 AM, Zagor said:

I used and abused opioids and now no AD helps. How long did you use the drugs for?

I've been using drugs recreationally for about 6 years, I've really cut back now to only weed. But during the time I was using psychedelics I tripped around 30x in the span of 8 months 

On 2/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, shyfelyne said:

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that I was on Zoloft & took 525mcg of LSD-virtually nothing happened except disappointment. Even more recently, I take a quarter oz of mushrooms & nothing. So if SSRI's can do that, it seems that they both are competing for the same transmitters or receptors or something.

I had the same experience. The last trip I tried to take via funny fungus never even got off the ground. This was a month ago. I'm on Citalopram and Bupropion. I had a reasonably strong dose of those shroooms but only experienced a slight change in auditory perception.

All dressed up with no place to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, mariesmith said:

I've been using drugs recreationally for about 6 years, I've really cut back now to only weed. But during the time I was using psychedelics I tripped around 30x in the span of 8 months 

I believe the drugs damaged our cells and killed the once that produce dopamine so we either recover with time or stay like this.

On 2/15/2020 at 4:43 AM, Zagor said:

I believe the drugs damaged our cells and killed the once that produce dopamine so we either recover with time or stay like this.

I think it is that plus the fact that for many years we went after things that made us feel better that had no real substance behind them.  Every time we felt bad we went for the drugs.  Take them away and we have no idea what real life experiences we enjoy and we have no idea who we really are.  

• 4 months later...