Hi, I am new to this website and thought this would be a great place to ask questions.

I started Celexa 20mg on Jan 2nd for clinical depression and anxiety. I have taken Celexa previously, and it worked well. I ended up taking myself off of it without consulting my doctor which did not end up well.

When I quit taking Celexa, I engaged in very risky behavior and used a lot of recreational drugs (mainly psychedelics).

I have been on Celexa for almost a month now, and I find it isn't working how it did the first time I took it. I'm wondering if I need to give it a little more time, or, if through all of my psychedelic use I altered my brain chemistry to the point where this AD no longer works for me.

Ive been having pretty bad headaches and every day I feel super anxious and restless. The only positive thing so far is that a lot of my anxious thoughts I used to have aren't there anymore but I still feel the physical feelings of anxiety in my stomach/chest/etc.

Does anyone have experience using psychedelics or other recreational drugs that can offer advice on starting/finding the right AD?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by mariesmith

I wish I had a good answer for you. I've been on Citalopram for...6 years now? Wow. How time flies when you aren't having fun. One thing I noticed is that the funny fungus isn't nearly as activating as it used to be. I read somewhere that SSRIs "blunt" the effect of psychedelics, which leads me to conclude that there is definitely an interaction between the two. How that might pertain to your situation, I don't know.

Wishing you the best...

On 1/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, mariesmith said:

I have been on Celexa for almost a month now, and I find it isn't working how it did the first time I took it. I'm wondering if I need to give it a little more time, or, if through all of my psychedelic use I altered my brain chemistry to the point where this AD no longer works for me.

Psychedelics mainly work on the serotonergic systems, so it could be that you have downregulated your 5-HT2A receptors especially (the main receptor psychedelics work at to produce hallucinogenic effects), which is actually a good thing. The fact that your antidepressant isn't working as well as it used to has me baffled though. I honestly don't have an answer to this. Have you tried escitalopram (Lexapro) before? It's basically half of the molecule (the good half) of Celexa (less side effects and more potent). Any other SSRIs tried?

Ive been having pretty bad headaches and every day I feel super anxious and restless. The only positive thing so far is that a lot of my anxious thoughts I used to have aren't there anymore but I still feel the physical feelings of anxiety in my stomach/chest/etc.

You might benefit from a beta-blocker, especially one like propranolol (Inderal) or pindolol (Visken). These relieve the somatic symptoms of anxiety (like chest pain, stomach queasiness, etc.) Pindolol actually can help accelerate the response to your antidepressant via 5-HT1A antagonism or low instrinsic activity partial agonism (functional antagonism). 5 mg is usually all that is needed, but sometimes 7.5-10 mg is needed. Propranolol is also great for anxiety, not so much for depression, which actually can be a side effect of it. Most people in your situation maybe only need 10 mg twice daily as needed or 20 mg twice daily as needed.

Does anyone have experience using psychedelics or other recreational drugs that can offer advice on starting/finding the right AD?

I personally don't, but one of my best friends does, and he said that from his experience, psychedelics and serotonergic drugs do not mix well with each other (unfortunately, IMO... not trying to encourage psychedelic use or anything...). MDMA's effects are actually is rendered null by serotonergic antidepressants (anything that has serotonin reuptake inhibition), and can be lethal to take with an MAOI, so there's that. LSD is the same way. Psilocybin I'm not so sure about.

When I quit taking Celexa, I engaged in very risky behavior and used a lot of recreational drugs (mainly psychedelics).

Are you sure you're not bipolar?