ejc

Anyone else practicing law and dealing with mental health challenges?

I’m having a hell of a time with my profession and my mental health. Anyone else out there going through the same? If so, what are your challenges and how is mental health affecting your work or the other way around? Any suggestions of coping on the daily? I’m spiraling downward and need advice. 

I'm a big believer in the power of metaphors.

Your "spiral" is of course metaphorical.

A spiral can go upwards so I would recommend immediately applying the metaphorical brakes.

A downward spiral can imply you are carrying excess emotional baggage.

Why not let go of excess emotional weight and let it slide down your slippery spiral while you anchor yourself with a really strong metaphorical bungee cord?

Sure it sounds wild and crazy but spiraling downward can't be acceptable.

The idea is to put  metaphors to work for you and not against you.

Hope this can help a little.

Oscar 

Im not in law, but trying to make it into the science/academia world which I imagine is just as demanding and expecting and as much pressure and just no room for mental illness to come along and dictate your days, making you unable to do the amount of work you normally would (or makes you question your ability to do so). Totally get it, i've no idea how to cope, all I do is survive one day to live the next. All I think about is getting my work done so I can come home and get stoned, I know it's not the best way to cope, but atm its all I got. Sorry you're going through this, you're not alone, hopefully its passes soon ❤️❤️✌️

in my city there is a meeting every week for an hour called lawyers concerned for lawyers where members talk about issues with depression, anxiety, alcohol, drugs, gambling and the issues of dealing with stress while practicing law.  most state bar associations have similar anonymous groups and phone services.  sometimes it helps to talk to other lawyers going through similar problems.  they can offer strategies to deal with these issues. i have made good friends through these programs who have helped.  i no longer practice law, but the lawyer meeting and aa meetings along with antidepressant medication and therapy have helped me a lot.