Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Generic Prozac vs Brand

I'm on the generic fluoxetine, but never tried the brand name. I can't afford anything else as I get a 90 day supply for 10 dollars. Also, my insurance doesn't cover my therapist and my budget is stretched tight as it is.

I agreed that both generic and brand name are actually the same because they have the same active ingredient, fluoxetine hydrocloride.

I'm Stephen and I started taking prozac generic after one year of going off of it. Ive been on it for 2 weeks and am currently taking 40mgs. My doc originally prescribed me 80mg to start off but it made me feel over drugged. So after two days of taking 80mgs Im now just taking 40mgs. My feeling is much more upbeat than on the eighty so Ill stick with 40mg for now. I told my doc that I wanted to take 40mg for a while before I started 80mg anyway.

The generic capsule im on is blue and white with fluoxetine typed on it with R149. I've tried many AD's and prozac always did me best. I have OCD and depression so taking a OCD med is what I have to stick with or i dont get the results. Also I've never taken the name brand. Now the jittery feeling is also with me. As Im typing this, I feel like im shaking but physically just minor if that. I feel better so I cant complain. Yesterday I had a visit with my counselor and I was able to just stay in the moment, which before I could hardly ever do because of my racing thoughts. Then afterwards talk to the front desk gal and just casually communicate. Good things.

You have to be very careful with the generic or brand Prozac - it has been known to cause suicidal actions as well as complications during pregnancy and birth defects!

My sister's daughter almost killed herself and has a heart condition because of it. She is negotiating a large settlement right now. Be careful! Think twice before taking it...

Edited by Trace
Link Removed as per TOS

Unfortunately fluoxetine generic is not the same as the original Prozac anymore. The inactive ingredients are very different. The drugstores are only selling Pliva by Teva to fluoxetine users.

Here are the inactive ingredients in Pliva: Inactive Ingredient(s): ammonia / d&c yellow no. 10 / fd&c blue no. 1 / gelatin / magnesium stearate / starch, corn / propylene glycol / titanium dioxide

Here are the inactive ingredients in original Prozac: Inactive Ingredient(s): gelatin / silicone / starch / titanium dioxide / iron oxide / fd&c blue no. 1

The generic cost is about $10 for each refill; the Prozac costs $250 per month.

Edited by tealexis

You have to be very careful with the generic or brand Prozac - it has been known to cause suicidal actions as well as complications during pregnancy and birth defects!

My sister's daughter almost killed herself and has a heart condition because of it. She is negotiating a large settlement right now. Be careful! Think twice before taking it...

Hi and Welcome duhma

I am really sorry to hear about your sisters daughter and the effect that generic prozac had on her. All meds react differently for different people and some people can have awful reactions to some meds, but it may work ok on someone else. I am really sorry that your sisters daughter has had such a bad experience with it.

Trace

Shocked, but not all surprised, to find that this is going on! I'm living in England so I get meds off the health system and they appear to give the cheap ones! Well lets just say after reading this I won't be going on them again unless I get brand ones!

Soph xxx

Shocked, but not all surprised, to find that this is going on! I'm living in England so I get meds off the health system and they appear to give the cheap ones! Well lets just say after reading this I won't be going on them again unless I get brand ones!

Soph xxx

thing is they won't. They can even switch different generics around on you.

The only meds they can't switch generics around on you are lithium or Anticonvulsants. (NICE guidelines)

Hi Soph,

I'm in the UK too taking generic fluoxetine and to be honest I haven't noticed any difference at all (or I don't think I have). The issues I've had have been around attempting different withdrawal strategies.

I've been on fluoxetine since Dec 1993 so have spent many years on the Prozac brand until the patent expired and the UK market was flooded with generic versions.

If the only active ingredient is fluoxetine then the other ingredients shouldn't matter. I am probably being naive but it seems sensible as there must be rules for assuring equivalence between branded and generic products.

Jon

Please be aware of possible drug interactions while taking (or for several weeks after discontinuing) Fluoxetine. See link:

http://www.pharmgkb.org/clinical/fluoxetine.jsp

I am a freelance writer and have written extensively about generic vs brand name drugs. If Fluoxetine is taken concurrently with a NTI (narrow therapeutic index) drug, be careful.

Major differences between generic and brand names are the colors, fillers, etc.

Hello all!

I am new to the board. My cancaer board can't deal with me.

I am curently on 60 ml prozac after doing zoloft, wellbutrin, and other stress and anti dep meds. I am getting realy p*****, is there no hope for me? I started wellbutrin a few months ago and started smoking and drinking after 5 years of semi sober living. Whats up with that? I am off the wellbutrin and sticking with prozac but still drinking. Zoloft seemed to help for a month or so then I switched to prozac felt good for a month or so and uped to 60 from 40 I can't seem to get back to that normal feeling?????

long story short not a day goes bye where I wish I was dead. Funny thing is I am not suicidal I just hate living, excisting. There has been a few weeks on differnt meds were I felt cool with life for a week or two.

Any sugestions?

Jeff

hi Jeff, this is my first post, I was wondering about the difference in name brand and generic. Your post caught my attention because of the mention of drinking. I have been taking 40mg fluoxetine for 6 months or so. I was getting no relief and felt miserable. I felt the same as you in the in the death part, I wanted to die but was not suicidal. I was drinking alcohol and that was my escape in the evenings. Long story short, I had to give up drinking for the med to work. The good part was the fluoxetine made giving up the alcohol much easier. It took several weeks without alcohol, but I was about to give up on the med so I tried it and I am much better. The misery was ******* me so I feel blessed but I kind of hit a plateua so when I see the doctor I will talk to her. Hey I want to live now so thats great. Good luck to you

Ronnie Lynn

It's important to know that although the generic drug is the same chemical as the brand name, the additives, fillers and other ingredients may differ. These differences can have an effect on how the drug is absorbed by the body.

Also, generics are approved and they only have to be within 15 to 20% of the dose of active ingredient. So if you are taking 60 mg PROZAC and switch to generic, you may only be getting 48 mg of the active ingredient. This might make a difference.

I am one who used Prozac for years, went to the genreic and it did NOT work, and went bank to the brand name with good results. Unfortunatley, I am now in a stage where I'm expereinceing "Prozac poop-out" and may have to switch meds.

Edited by newbernguy

Same ingredients doesn't equal the same molecular structure. If the molecular structure is different, then you can end up with an entirely different drug in the same class of drugs.

I take 40mg of fluoxetine and have since 99 but I don't think it's working anymore. I've been looking at this discussion forum for two hrs before I decided to make an account and all I want is someone to talk to. I don't know what's wrong with me, I don't want to get up, I don't go no where, I don't even care if I shower and I have never been like this. I have basically quit my job and never leave my house anymore. I just turned 37 and I'm a physically attractive female so there's nothing wrong with my physical appearance it's how I am on the inside. I just need someone to talk to. My parents think it's all in my head. Just someone help me cause I can't take this no more.

For me, brand Prozac works better. I tried generic, but it didn't work for me. I seem to be super sensitive to generic mental health meds, though. I'm doing great on brand Prozac 80 msg. I can even light candles in my house, which is huge for me.