Comfort Eating

hawiangirl

Does anyone find themselves turning to food for comfort. I find that when im down or stressed, i go for the fridge, especially things like bread and sugary treats. It gives me instant comfort, although only temporary. Ive put on a lot of weight and find its a habit thats hard to stop. I wonder also if Citalopram increases hunger? :hearts:

I comfort eat, too. Stress or boredom brings on the binging. It's especially hard for me to control, because I work from home. It's hard to keep from self-medicating, too. I have found that citalopram does indeed increase hunger and cravings, especially for sugar and alcohol. For this reason, I have tapered back to just 10mg citalopram, to go with my 300mg of bupropion, which actually helps to ease hunger and cravings. But even with bupropion, 20mg of citalopram was sending me to the refrigerator too often. Not everyone reacts this way, though. Some people lose their appetite on citalopram, and other SSRIs.

Does anyone find themselves turning to food for comfort. I find that when im down or stressed, i go for the fridge, especially things like bread and sugary treats. It gives me instant comfort, although only temporary. Ive put on a lot of weight and find its a habit thats hard to stop. I wonder also if Citalopram increases hunger? :bump:

god yes i put on over 3 stone = 42 pounds over a five months. i dont know how to cope with this eather. I do need to do something about this though, but i dont have the energy and the will power to stop over eating it like am addicted to food. i know i use food to push down my feelings. all my clothes size has gone up from a 14 to 18 - 20. :hearts:

i swiched from self harming to eating.

echo xxxx

Hi folks, thanks so much for replying. I too have put on nearly 4 stone. im seriously thinking of coming of the citalopram as the wight gain will just continue otherwise. Its a bit of a vicious circle -the citalopram does ease my mood swings, but the weight gain, is making me feel more upset!

losing the weight has never been so hard, the cravings are overpowering!

I'm in the same boat. lOl.

I already have a crazy sweet tooth, but whenever I feel blue (which is often), ice cream and chocolate is my savior. Then after I finish, I just feel bad I ate so much junk and it's a vicious cycle. lol.

(: :) :) :) cookies for everyone on DF!

Yes, absolutely! This is more of a recent problem for me, though. Back in March, I ate a cookie that had a trace of peanuts in it and was sent to the ER with anaphylaxis. Since then, I was too afraid to eat any baked goods or chocolate (they all have warnings on them!). But lately, I've been treating myself more often. I blame Halloween, actually. LOL. :tongue: I handed out those chocolate bars by the handful, but I still had many left over.

- Elly

I'm taking citalopram and I have noticed an increase in appetite, although I don't try and satisfy it.

I seem to get extremely hungry in the evenings a few hours after dinner which I never got before the meds, I find I can make it subside a little by drinking some squash. I always have a snack before I go to bed, so I make myself wait for that.

Edited by Squirrel

Hey guys,

I also had quite a bit of a sweet tooth when I was in my biggest bout of major depression. I find that the most important thing is to not have junk food in your home. Lots of times I had the cravings, but I didn't feel like going out to the store to buy stuff, so I didn't. If getting access to junk food is a lot harder, it'll be a lot easier to not give into the temptation. It's kinda like using the lack of motivation that comes with depression to your advantage! :)

i've just started comfort eating recently. and im not sleeping at the moment either, so having midnight feasts. theres never much in the house either, so tonight looks like a block of cheese! funky dreams ahoy...

it seems to happen every winter... maybe i'm just preparing to hibernate?! does anyone else get it seasonally?

When I was a teenager, my depression and anxiety caused me to never feel like eating. I'm only 5 foot tall and during high school I weighed about 85 pounds. I still have white lines on all my fingernails due to the malnutrition I forced on myself. Now I'm 30 and my depression is no better but it manifests in different ways. No more nervous energy for me. I'm almost 100 pounds over weight, my husband constantly makes snide remarks and my little makes fun off my big butt and fatt tummy all the time. What I wouldn't give to be a depressed teenager again instead of a depressed middle-aged mommy.

it seems to happen every winter... maybe i'm just preparing to hibernate?! does anyone else get it seasonally?

Yes, in the past two winters I've porked out. I have SAD but this year isn't so bad, possibly due to WB. Normally though winters just drain my energy doesn't help with the holidays and all that food being around. That cannot happen this time with a wedding coming up in March.

Edited by NorthernLight

Does anyone find themselves turning to food for comfort. I find that when im down or stressed, i go for the fridge, especially things like bread and sugary treats. It gives me instant comfort, although only temporary. Ive put on a lot of weight and find its a habit thats hard to stop. I wonder also if Citalopram increases hunger? :hearts:

I don't know much about Citalopram, but I can definitely relate to cravings!!

It's such a vicious cycle...I get depressed, so I eat, and then I get depressed about eating too much and putting on weight!

I find the best thing to do is to drink a lot of water and to snack on healthy things such as fruit. (Before I read this post, I got up to get myself a biscuit, but decided to have a nice crunchy apple instead) :)

And it is absolutely true that if the junk food isn't as accessible to you, you'll be less inclined to binge on it, so try to decrease the amount of junk food in your house.

Hope this helps!

:bump:

I am on effexor an I gained 20kg! ( 40lb) I crave suger and carbs. I also started drinking ( something I had never done in my life) alot but have since stopped. I live in southern finland so this time of year it is dark when I wake up and usually overcast all day and dark again by 4:30 P.M. I too feel like hibernating. My weight has always been a big issue in my life and if I gain a little it just makes me more depressed and make me want to eat more. A vicious cycle.

Sugar gives an instant high -when i have some chocolate, i run around the house trying to do all my jobs before the effect runs out!

There must be a way to stop this habit -i agree water helps fill you up. On one of my diets, i had 3 apples 2 bananas and half a melon in one day everytime i got a sugar urge! Unfortunatelyit didnt last long.

I'm feeling so crappy right now and I'm eating lots of chocolates and I'm feeling my heart going nuts. I have three papers, I'm struggling to get past the first page on an 8 paged paper and haven't started on the other two. I caught a flu. I turned 20. I'm just feeling so crappy right now that I don't want to sleep because I've wasted so much time not doing anything.

Sorry for ranting on your post, it's late and I'm kind of tired and delusional. ~.~

Yea I do that too. I do it when I'm stressed or very unhappy. I sometimes put on weight too, then I get it off, then put it on again, it's an endless circle. :bump: