Chronic Pain

Floor2017

It saddens my heart the way people disrespect people with chronic illness.  They act as if people enjoy being in pain and not being able to live their lives with the freedom to do anything.  It’s just sad, sad, sad.  I hope one day that people learn to keep their opinions to themselves when they don’t know what they are talking about when it comes to chronic pain.

Agreed!  I knew someone who would sympathize with others only if 'the problem' was something he had also dealt with.  It was like, if it had not happened to him, it did not exist.  Chronic illness/pain was something he did not understand.  It was frustrating to the point of painful watching him dismiss others.   Suffering is suffering!

I remember growing up watching my mom suffer with chronic pain and migraines. A simple day of laundry would turn into her having to sleep off the pain all day. Doctors tested her for lupus, ms, amongst many other ailments and either denied her pain or pawned her off on another doctor. It was hard and I tried to help her as much as I could growing up. Finally a doctor believed her and diagnosed her with fibromyalgia.

All this to say, the whole medical system is the worst culprit of disbelief in people’s physical pain. It’s infuriating to watch someone you love suffer because they’re hard to medically diagnos or denying them is easier. I’ve also seen loved ones deny medical care because of their fear of being labeled by medical personnel. I wish more people would have compassion. It’s already so hard for them to get by daily from the pain, then they have this stigma tattooed on their face. 

I have chronic knee pain and have discovered another kind of medical practitioner too:  the kind that see so many people with the same problem that they become jaded.  People do not seem to really "get" what they haven't experienced themselves and sadly so!  Luckily I have found empathetic physicians in my lifetime.