Sign in to follow this  
JessiesMom

December Declaration

I am here by announcing to the world (well, the DF world at least) that I do not like Christmas songs and I am not at all ashamed of it. I am not a scrooge. I generally enjoy Christmas (although it is generally a difficult time in my life for various reasons). I love getting thoughtful gifts for my loved ones, in fact I may have a bit of a tendancy to go overboard. However, whenever I hear Christmas music on in a store, my office or my home - I have an immediate negative reaction. I am sick to death of expressing that opinion and having people act like there is something wrong with me. Most modern Christmas music straight up stinks. If I ever have to hear "The Christmas Shoes," or "So This is Christmas" again - I may have to take drastic action and take out a sound system or two. 

I spoke to my best friend about this today - and he indicated that he thinks that all music should be intentional. I kinda love that idea - and I will defintly be paying more attention to the music he chooses to play before and after service at church. 

I tend to be more of a lyrics person than a melody person. I also tend to allow the lyrics to take me on flights of fancy.

If you are also a person who does not like Christmas music - join me in my declaration and let the Christmas music hater shame go 😉

I’m not a Christmas music hater. However I can totally see and get why anyone doesn’t enjoy it. It’s repetitive, it’s always the same songs rewrapped and performed. There really isn’t anything imaginative about the same music over and over. Just here to say as a Christmas music liker, I fully support and understand your dislike. Not that you needed my acceptance in any way. Just saying there’s many validities to this.

I think the main reason I like Christmas music isn’t because of the music, but for the nostalgia and memories associated with the songs. I only enjoy particular singers for particular songs because those are the classics I grew up with. Any other version will not do for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling. 

2 hours ago, Tid322 said:

I think the main reason I like Christmas music isn’t because of the music, but for the nostalgia and memories associated with the songs. I only enjoy particular singers for particular songs because those are the classics I grew up with. Any other version will not do for me.

I totally agree with this. Perhaps part of the issue is that the versions I hear blarred incessantly at me from the radio these days are the "new" and "hip" versions rather than the nostalgic old standards. I recently heard an inforgivable version of "Santa Baby" my Madonna. Yuck.

That song is already a hate for me, no matter who sings it. And the same, any of the new renditions with now famous pop stars is a travesty to the Christmas music genre.

I prefer the classics like Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Bing Crosby. 

Not to mention the fact that Christmas songs are played in all the stores to prompt us to buy stuff, so its (1) lousy music that for me is (2) associated with so many key moments of my awful childhood and my sadistic parents and siblings, (3) plus the retail vortex, put together ! Arrrghh ! 

23 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Not to mention the fact that Christmas songs are played in all the stores to prompt us to buy stuff, so its (1) lousy music that for me is (2) associated with so many key moments of my awful childhood and my sadistic parents and siblings, (3) plus the retail vortex, put together

At least you can leave the store. Imagine the retail assistants who have to be in there until closing time, every day

1 hour ago, iWantRope said:

At least you can leave the store. Imagine the retail assistants who have to be in there until closing time, every day

My daughter has been bombarded with "Christmas" tunes over the bookstore's sound system for many weeks now. She's really sick of it.

There are only two Christmas songs I like, and neither gets played on commercial radio or over sound systems in stores.

37 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

There are only two Christmas songs I like, and neither gets played on commercial radio or over sound systems in stores.

My interest is piqued. Which two songs? Just out of curiosity.

4 hours ago, iWantRope said:

Yup - I worked in a grocery store for years and there is nothing worse than eight hours straight of the same 15 or 20 bad Christmas songs.

16 hours ago, Tid322 said:

My interest is piqued. Which two songs? Just out of curiosity.

I like Elizabeth Schwartzkopff's version of Silent Night (Stille Nacht). It brings me great peace.

A garage band named The Sonics recorded a song called Santa Claus back in 1965...it's a real rocker but quite obscure.