What Stuff Has Worked For Your Anxiety? (vitamins, exercise, etc)?

What really works, is to monitor our negative thoughts, if we have them, and to try to challenge them. We should first of all, ask ourselves, are those negative thoughts we have based on fact or opinion. How we know that those thoughts are true? What evidence we have that they are true? Can we prove that they are true? 

Very often it is our perception of the things in life that make us thing anxious thoughts. Many of the things we fear, never happen. It is our negative perception of things in life, which makes us think negatively and not the events or circumstances around us. Our negative perception of things in our life, is mainly based on our previous experiences in life, our upbringing, our education, negative things which happened in our previous life, our beliefs about many things, and it is not based on the event or the circumstance. 

1 hour ago, Deyan said:

What really works, is to monitor our negative thoughts, if we have them, and to try to challenge them. We should first of all, ask ourselves, are those negative thoughts we have based on fact or opinion. How we know that those thoughts are true? What evidence we have that they are true? Can we prove that they are true? 

Very often it is our perception of the things in life that make us thing anxious thoughts. Many of the things we fear, never happen. It is our negative perception of things in life, which makes us think negatively and not the events or circumstances around us. Our negative perception of things in our life, is mainly based on our previous experiences in life, our upbringing, our education, negative things which happened in our previous life, our beliefs about many things, and it is not based on the event or the circumstance. 

Thanks I really appreciate you for reminding us that we cannot always believe everything that comes to our mind 

On 2/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, Deyan said:

Well, said, Deyan.... and welcome to DF! 

• 7 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 5:14 AM, duck said:

When I was younger I used to go for long walks and it helped a bit.  These days nothing helps.  I have to keep looking for solutions. 

I miss going for walks. But with chronic illness (including some serious joint pain) and conditions being what they are, it's not possible anymore. I ride a bike at home, but it's not the same. Feel like i can't get outside of anything, and my mind just keeps going in circles. I can relate to other parents here feeling outmatched and some days like I just can't keep up anymore.  

On 2/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, Deyan said:

anxiety makes you question those thoughts, those perceptions. even though someone might tell you you are doing great, keep it up. you might think are they lying? are they just saying that? anxiety plays many tricks with us..it's very difficult to convince yourself when you have anxiety, about your self-esteem , etc.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:17 PM, ladysmurf said:

anxiety makes you question those thoughts, those perceptions. even though someone might tell you you are doing great, keep it up. you might think are they lying? are they just saying that? anxiety plays many tricks with us..it's very difficult to convince yourself when you have anxiety, about your self-esteem , etc.

how do you guys deal with your thoughts?? like not questioning everything and taking it personally?

I think Any exercise can help diminish anxiety, but Connolly says aerobic exercise that really gets your heart rate up will be the most beneficial.

Some good aerobic exercises that can help manage anxiety are:
Swimming.
Biking.
Running.
Brisk walking.
Tennis.
Dancing.

Hope these things are manage anxiety problem.

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling, ladysmurf :hugs: I hope I can help in someway. I think we're all different and have a variety of things that help us. What works for one person, may not work for another. I'm just going to list some of the things that worked for me. I'm sorry if it's a bit long. I'm going to try to help as much as I can ❤️ 

1) First of all, I sat down to reflect to notice what emotions I was actually feeling. Was it anger? Sadness? Worry? Believe it or not, at one time, all my emotions were all bundled up together and I had extreme difficulty in even naming those emotions one by one.

2) Then, I had a conversation with myself. When did these thoughts first appear? What or who first triggered it? What was my first memory of those thoughts? Are they really true? Can you prove they're true? For example, if it was a person who triggered my thoughts, I noticed their history, realising a lot (not all) of them had bad pasts, upbringings, etc and seek validation in bringing me and everyone down, knowingly or unknowingly. Their behaviours were also learnt by the wrong crowds and sources. Even the behaviours and actions of bullies and how they expect everyone to behave is completely learnt by peers, media, etc.

3) To cope, I look for anxiety triggers and try to avoid them. For example, I used to have bad health anxiety by stuff I read online. I avoid them now and the health anxiety has improved dramatically. The media is very toxic. I avoid it as much as possible. Social media is also toxic.

4) When I am panicking, I try to deep breathe and distract my thoughts onto something more calming. I tell myself everything is going to be okay. "I am doing a good job." "They appreciate the work I am putting in." "I am beautiful." "Nobody is noticing my flaws as I see them." "They see me as one of them." "I belong with my peers." "I am not going to d-e."

5) I think exercise also helps in calming down the voices in your head. Gentle, slow exercises to increase motivation are great to start. You can even do them at home during this pandemic. Yoga, meditations are the best. Then, you can try walking or dancing. Any exercise you think is best for you. Don't overdo the exercise if you think it makes you feel worse.

6) Vitamins? I heard B12 and Vitamin D helps. I'm not sure though. Certain teas, like chamomile are calming. Any hot drink are soothing. Caffeine sometimes make anxiety worse, though. It's a stimulant. It's best to look after yourself. Try to limit "drink" and sugar. You don't have to, only if it helps.

7) I do more of what I used to enjoy in the past. I stopped being creative when these thoughts started. I'm now being creative again. It's hard to find the motivation, I know. I'm playing the games I used to love. I'm watching the movies I loved, etc. This gives me a nostalgia boost as well, which is an added bonus! Like I said, there's a variety of things that help.

I understand the thoughts come on automatically and feel so real. Most of these thoughts are not real, they just feel real. They are probably learnt. You are a lovely person and you are doing your best. You deserve all the happiness in the world. You will get there, I believe in you. If you have any questions or want to talk, you can PM me :hugs: ❤️ 

Edited by babyxgothxx