Sign in to follow this  
ladysmurf

What Stuff Has Worked For Your Anxiety? (vitamins, exercise, etc)?

Definitely yoga.  In a nutshell: deep breathing. Over and over until the anxiety subsides. It works for me if I can motivate myself. I do turn to it if I'm anxious. Good luck if you are thinking of trying something new :hearts:

Funny or cute videos on Youtube to distract myself.

You can try alternate nostril breathing too (you can google it).

I don't do the breathe into a bag thing people do on TV, but when I'm really upset and start to hyperventilate, I hold up a thin sheet or tissue to my mouth and breath deeply against it, so I can both feel and see it going in and out with my breath and that somehow helps.

You could also try a short walk, maybe around the block or through a nice park. Or a drive if you like driving.

I also find lighting candles soothing. I stare at the flames, put my hands close to them to feel their warmth, and inhale the scents. Some people prefer incense.

Facing it and doing what I have to do. Because things only get worse when you sit around. Not being around people unless it's work. Having things to look forward to, to work on, and keep me mentally and physically busy. 💪☮️

10 minutes ago, watalife said:

Facing it and doing what I have to do. Because things only get worse when you sit around. Not being around people unless it's work. Having things to look forward to, to work on, and keep me mentally and physically busy. 💪☮️

yes facing social anxiety i dont know how i will ever overcome it ...it has destroyed my life..

i dont think i can ever beat this monster called anxiety..it destroys your life.. i keep waking up in the middle of the night with chest pains, nightmares, etc.. i dont think there's a solution to overcome or work with this monster..so you can live a somewhat productive life..

Medication  [Citalopram and Buspirone] and Cognitive Therapy are the things that help me the most. And Victor Frankl.    I don't know which helps more,  to be honest. 

From Cognitive Behavioral Therapy I've learned that there are two types of anxiety:  Anxiety related to threats to survival and lifestyle and anxiety related to threats to self-esteem.

Both are concerned with the future, as opposed to depression which is about the past and present.

CBT teaches that threats to self-esteem are illusory since worth in not something that can ever be threatened by events in the future since it is based on one's inalienable worth and dignity as an absolutely unique individual which nothing that could happen in the future could destroy or erase. Self-worth is invulnerable. 

Of course, one has to actually believe that for it to work.  If one believes that self-esteem is always vulnerable, can be reduced or lost, is always in jeopardy and being tested . . . then the CBT idea will not work for one.

Survival or lifestyle threats are another matter according to CBT.  CBT has ideas about this but I am more helped by the work of Viktor Frankl.  According to Frankl, a person can live with any "what" in life as long as one has a "why" to exist.

For example, the Holocaust rescuer Oskar Schinder suffered numerous threats to his self-esteem, lifestyle and actual survival.  But he kept going because he had a reason to live [to help others survive the Holocaust]. 

Schindler was not a saint by ordinary standards.  He failed numerous times in his career and businesses.  He failed in marriage and relationships. 

He had serious problems with alcohol and gambling addictions.  He was originally a spy for the Nazi Intelligence Service [Abwehr] and probably cost of the lives of many people in Poland and Czechoslovakia. 

Guilt over any of those weaknesses and failures could have led him to take his own life.  Anxiety about his weaknesses and failure continuing forever in his could have overwhelmed him.

But he found a "why" for existing.  He became a Holocaust rescuer.  And that is what he is known for.

I feel like I have a reason to exist.  I have a work to do.  As long as I can do that work, the "what" and "how" of the future are sort of irrelevant to me, at least on my best days.

I am also a spiritual person who prays.  Frankl believed that even if everything went bad in one's life there was always one thing left to human freedom and dignity:  the ability to choose one's attitude to failure and misfortune .

Perhaps all of this amounts to only 1% of what helps my anxiety or less than 1%.  Perhaps it is my brain and medication that accounts for 99% or more of what helps my anxiety.

Since each of us has absolutely unique brains, pasts, life experiences and so on, none of what I have written is "advice." 

To use a kind of analogy:  It would not help a person who is drowning to tell that person how to put out a fire. 

There are so many possible causes of depression and anxiety that things help some people and fall flat for others.  So, I think  it is kind of presumptuous for one depressed person to tell another:  "Oh, just do x, y and z and everything will work out."

That is why I value these Forums.  People here share what has helped them.  Sometimes it helps others too.  Sadly it doesn't always help.

The people I have met here on the Forums are heroes to me.

I don't think heroism is restricted to a single stupendous heroic deed.  Day to day living has its heroes too and I think those are the greatest heroes.

Anyway . . . I am blabbing on and on and on.  I hope you get many responses to the thread you have started! 

- epictetus

Even though I sound like I'm ok in the above post. It changes from minute to minute hour to hour. My mind drives me crazy. Right now I'm worried about everything all at the same time and feel like crying. But then I switch back to nothingness.   😢😭😂😁😀😐😔😢😊

@watalife I understand, I have the same problem. I can be floating on air one moment and one thing will happen to trigger me and I'm in a rage or depressed. It's hard to have so many emotions, isn't it? I hope you feel better right now.

Yeah I have every emotion possible every single hour.  I can feel a certain way and start to post that's the way I'm feeling and by the time I'm done making the post things will probably change.  I have way too many emotions.  

I had some years where my anxiety and panic attacks completely stopped. I used meditation, breathing techniques and loads of walking. I wish I could utilize the techniques I used back then but they just don’t work. I don’t know why I’m so ****ing broke.

My panic attacks have gotten so intense lately that twice within the past two months I have had to pull my car over while driving my son to school because I thought I was going to black out. Then I feel like the world’s worst parent. I can’t even do something as stupid and simple as get my son safely to school. How ****ing pathetic. 

Once I dropped him off at school, I would be okay with the thought of my anxiety getting me killed. He doesn’t need a useless parent. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, ladysmurf said:

im afraid i can't overcome my anxiety, it had destroyed my life, and it will end it..

:hugs:❤️

Don't give up, ladysmurf.  I hear you.  Anxiety is so much harder to deal with than depression in some ways.  It can burn you out and leave you so exhausted and shattered.  Have faith in yourself.  Every step counts. 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:27 PM, 20YearsandCounting said:

:hugs:❤️

Don't give up, ladysmurf.  I hear you.  Anxiety is so much harder to deal with than depression in some ways.  It can burn you out and leave you so exhausted and shattered.  Have faith in yourself.  Every step counts. 

anxiety seems to wear me out more than depression does. people don't understand what kind of physical damage anxiety can do to you, and just laugh and say stupid things like "oh just relax, breathe"...which is the worst thing you can say to a person suffering from anxiety anyway... Studies and things I read online say they are coming out with new medications that are supposed to help those who have responded to anxiety yet...medications in nasal spray form , etc..so we will say if they work or it's just another lie from the medical field and pharmaceutical companies

On 12/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, ladysmurf said:

im afraid i can't overcome my anxiety, it had destroyed my life, and it will end it..

There is one thing that worked amazingly well for me. Unfortunately, I cannot mention it here. My anxiety was reduced 90% however. I'm almost functional again! 🙂

When I was younger I used to go for long walks and it helped a bit.  These days nothing helps.  I have to keep looking for solutions. 

5 hours ago, duck said:

When I was younger I used to go for long walks and it helped a bit.  These days nothing helps.  I have to keep looking for solutions. 

I dont have much energy to walk anymore either..

Yea it is very difficult for us to walk.  I have to somehow do it for both my mental and physical health. I have gained too much weight.  

I will be away from Dec 22 to Dec 26.  I am going to visit my big sister for Christmas.  

Edited by duck

On 12/14/2019 at 10:54 AM, sober4life said:

I never have energy to exercise.  My mind tries to talk me out of it all day.  I have to drink coffee to motivate me for anything.  Otherwise I wouldn't leave bed.

I am trying to set a schedule every week. at least hopefully with a routine it will be easier..if i push myself.

1 hour ago, ladysmurf said:

I am trying to set a schedule every week. at least hopefully with a routine it will be easier..if i push myself.

A routine makes things much easier for our anxiety.  I've been trying to establish a routine for 2 years now.

Currently, the most effective  3 weapons in my arsenal against my anxiety are:

1) My ESA cat, Ghost.

2) My beautiful living space, I decorated to be calming and healing, via soft lighting, scents,  music, privacy and security. I don't have people come inside it. It's my controlled environment.

3) The best advice a therapist gave me. He said that whenever I'm worrying over something..to stop and ask myself if there's something that I can do about it right that minute. If there is, then do it. If there isn't, then make note of the time there will be and give myself permission to only worry about it at that noted time. It was so simple..yet it helped..but then again, I'm weird.

I've also heard recently to do the (Find 5) exercise.

Find something to look at,

Find something to touch,

Find something to smell,

Find something to hear,

Find something to taste.

I've kinda shortened that one to Find 4, cause I don't see or hear well in panic attacks. So, the 1st thing I grab is my brown paper sack to breathe into instead of looking and hearing..and then I do the touch, smell, and taste thing to reground.

getting alone from everyone and having the room cool or cold helps to calm me down.  It

really helps when I go outside and walk up and down my drive way in the cold or I will just

sit in a chair until I calm down in the cold.:ranting: