Sign in to follow this  
Atra

FDA grants second "breakthrough therapy" designation to psilocybin

For the second time in a year, the FDA had given psilocybin special status to psilocybin, which has shown promise as a treatment for depression in preliminary investigations. 

Last year, private medical firm Compass Pathways used the special designation to conduct clinical trials for treatment-resistant depression. This year, Usona Institute, described as a nonprofit medical research organization, will be running clinical trials to investigate psilocybin as a potential treatment for major depressive disorder (MDD) - and not just the treatment-resistant kind.  

Together with the FDAs approval of Esketamine earlier this year, there's been significant movement in the investigation of new drugs for treatment of depression. There isn't strong scientific evidence yet of the efficacy of these drug treatments and much isn't known about long-term effects. Many researchers believe they may be more clinically effective than current psychopharmacology options. 

Depression is the leading cause of disability in the world with over 300 million afflicted and many others affected, according to the World Health Organization. 

I'm here to say that I've been part of that analysis (but not in an official sense 🙂 ). It really changes one's perspective. I'm about due for another reset in fact.

Hope of a substantial improvement over current drug therapies which aren't working for a large number of people. What does substantial improvement mean? An immediate and durable reduction in depression symptoms. The changing of brain connections that might be associated with depression and allowing new connections to form that can result in better thinking patterns. 

Assuming a good response, there's still questions surrounding what new thinking patterns are healthier, which will result in someone leading a more productive and fulfilling life? Survey the mental and emotional landscape post-depression - wreckage of relationships, painful memories, loss of purpose and productivity, and a profound confusion over how to repair and move on from depression (and move on to what?) 

What I'm suggesting here is that there are still answers that must be sought from within and the will to seek out those answers probably isn't going to be drug-fueled.